1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Most Powerful Christian Song I Had Never Heard

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mark Corbett, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Mark Corbett

Mark Corbett Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you miss the part where all the musicians have stopped playing and those in attendance are all continuing to sing the song?

Even if this part did not make it so clear that the audience was not merely passively watching (which I agree would not be worship), why would you assume that they were not also singing and engaging with the meaning of the words (which are right out of Scripture) in their hearts and minds?

Watching a Youtube video can be worship if you are truly engaged in adoring God and expressing praise to Him as you watch it.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. And the passive-aggressive "I'm too spiritual to notice" really gave me a belly laugh!

Here is an article I have had on my computer for a long time and have no idea where it came from or who wrote it, but it is not original with me.

(And my apologies to John and his venerable Grandfather, JRR, but I disagree regarding worship in today's NT church. I believe there is a place for it, just not as the modern (modernist?) churches practice it.)

What does the Bible say about the position of "worship leader?"

Because the term “worship leader” means so many different things to so many people, it is always best to see what Scripture has to say about the role of worship and those who lead corporate worship.

True worship, whether corporate or individual, has several major components, as described in Romans 12:1-2.

First, the motivation to worship is “the mercies of God” which embodies all He has given us, none of which we deserve.

Second, the manner of worship is the presentation of our bodies, including our hearts, minds, hands, thoughts, and attitudes to God.

Third, our worship involves renewing our minds through the word of God. To know the truth, to believe the truth, to hold convictions about the truth, and to love the truth will naturally result in true spiritual worship.

Fourth, true worship is God-centered, not man-centered. The purpose of worship is not to produce an emotional experience, but to acknowledge God’s singular worthiness to be worshiped. So the first duty and responsibility of those who desire to lead others in worship must be to first understand the nature of worship itself.

Although the New Testament does not name “worship leader” as one of Christ’s gifts for the edification of the church (Ephesians 4:11-12), "worship leaders" are common in the modern church. If the "worship leader" is to lead, he must lead by example, and his life, therefore, must exemplify that of the true worshiper.

As with all leaders in the body of Christ, his must be first spiritual leadership. He must be the first to bow before God in humility and obedience. Just as the high priest had to sacrifice for his own sins first, so must the "worship leader" ensure he has scraped away the hardness from his heart and loosened the stiffness of his neck before he can begin to lead others.

It is the primary duty of a "worship leader," therefore, to be aligned with God’s will and to be humble before the great and awesome God. He must lead in humility and genuine concern for those under his care.

Because "worship leader" is not a biblical office for the church, his role is somewhat indistinct. Most "worship leaders" are musicians of some kind, whether vocal or instrumental, and their primary role is to lead the other musicians/singers that are involved in the service.

It is the responsibility of the "worship leader" to ensure that it is not the music, nor the instruments, nor the presentation, nor the voices which are the focus of the worship service.

Worship is bowing humbly before God and exalting Jesus Christ as King of kings and Lord of lords. The responsibility of the "worship leader" is to become less, that Jesus Christ can become more.

And when all of this is done, when hearts are humble before Him, His people are ready to receive, and be changed by, the focal point of the worship service—His glorious and living Word.

3. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do I detect the passive-agressive "You would agree with me if you were as spiritual as I am" again? :)

4. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm confused. The first sentence above is referring to the song Agnus Dei performed by Michael Smith, which I posted above. I would think that the second sentence, lacking any indication of a change in reference, is referring to the same song. You say it "had no mention of Jesus". But that's why I'm confused. The entire song is a worship song to Jesus, focused on Him. And it is based on Scripture. Is the second sentence referring to Agnus Dei or the song in the OP, Clear the Stage?

#24 Mark Corbett, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  5. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for sharing the article on worship and what a worship leader should be. I noticed that the song I shared in the OP reflects some of this same thinking with the lines:

'cause you can sing all you want to
    Yes, you can sing all you want to
    You can sing all you want to
    And still get it wrong; worship is more than a song​

6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you would like to hear some real worship music, click the link.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is indeed a beautiful and powerful worship song. Thank you for sharing it!

8. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus explains that some of the commandments have much broader and deeper application than most people realize.

So, with respect to adultery, Jesus shows us that it is not only actually having a physical act of sex with someone other than our spouse that we should be guard against. Actual acts of sex with another person's spouse are of course very serious and terrible sins, but adultery is broader and deeper than the sex act. Jesus shows us that looking with lust reveals adultery in our hearts (see Matthew 5:28).

Likewise, Jesus reveals that the commandment "do not murder" should be understood to mean that we should not be angry at our brother (see Matthew 5:21-22).

While Jesus does not go on to address the broader of deeper meaning and application of the other commandments, many (including myself) have felt that it is right to carefully look at the other commandments and see if they, too, have broader and deeper meaning and application.

I think we can and should treat the first two commandments (which relate to idolatry) in this way:

"You shall have no other gods before me.
    "You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
    You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God,
    (Exod. 20:3-5a ESV)

In these commands we can already see how they point to broader and deeper applications than bowing to a statue or figure, as terrible as that physical act is.

I believe that if we treat anything or anyone in a way which allows them to take the rightful place of God in our affections, obedience, priorities, or service, we are violating these commands. I think it is right to view idolatry in this way.

Like the Apostle Paul, you have been righteously provoked by seeing the foolishness and evil of idols and false religion on a massive and pervasive scale:

Now while Paul was waiting for them at Athens, his spirit was provoked within him as he saw that the city was full of idols. (Acts 17:16 ESV)

But while idolatry is not as obvious here in America, it is nevertheless pervasive.

Yes, merely watching someone else sing is not worship. I don't think anyone has suggested otherwise in this thread, but thank you for reminding us. The song in the OP makes the same point.

Of course, if someone is watching someone else sing while they themselves also sing and pray and think about the meaning, that becomes worship.

I don't think Paul is using idolatry as a metaphor. Rather, I think Paul views coveting as a type of non-physical idolatry in Col 3:5 (and one very similar verse in Ephesians):

ESV Colossians 3:5 Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.

ESV Ephesians 5:5 For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

There is another passage which to me also indicates a broader and deeper meaning of idolatry which is consistent with the one I mentioned above:

1 John 5:20 And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.
    21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols.

John has not mentioned physical idols anywhere in 1 John, but his final exhortation is "keep yourselves from idols". He has mentioned false religion and false beliefs. And in the immediate context, John has just pointed out that Jesus is the true God.

To me this suggests that treating anyone or anything other than Jesus as our "Lord" or our "Savior" should be viewed as a type of "heart idolatry".

Yes, the Bible is our authority. It is God's Word.

But, God does use other people to help us understand and apply His Word.

There are certainly bad examples of "worship" which really are just "entertainment". But I have been blessed to know some "worship leaders" who truly understand worship and whose passionate desire was not to entertain but to lead people in adoring and praising God. These leaders are grieved when they see members of the church who appear to be not engaged in worship, but just passively watching (but they also understand that we cannot see into people's hearts and that some who appear "passive" may in fact be engaging with God in a quiet way not visibly obvious to others). These leaders also understood that music, which is their special area of service, is only one small part of worship and is not worship at all if a person's heart and life are not oriented towards God.

Grace and Peace, Mark

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you miss Post #14 where I mention the two main NT words for worship, and define them?

Your problem is that you are approaching the subject of worship with a wrong presupposition, which is that singing is ergo, worship. It may or may not be. Simply standing there and singing is not worship. Back in the day I did my own intensive study on worship in the Bible after being challenged by a senior missionary. I suggest you leave your presupposition out of it, and do your own study. You're a pastor, apparently. "Rightly divide the word of truth."

1. Worship is serving God as a priest, and bowing down to Christ, according to the NT words used for it.
    2. Singing is normally praise, and praise and worship are not NT synonyms. Can music be worship? Yes.
    3. Music is worship if it is in service to Christ. That happens when it is used in obedience to the Biblical command: "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord" (Col. 3:16).
    4. So music can be praise, and it can be exhortation (a form of worship), according to the lyrics and how it is used. Therefore, in the video, the singing swaying people are not worshiping.
    I think I have now fully explained it. Your view of worship is not provable from Scripture. Simply singing is not worship. Nowhere in Scripture does it say it is.
    Again, no. If I am sitting here in my office and singing along with a Youtube video, I am not teaching anyone, as per the admonition in Col. I might be praising, depending on the lyrics, but not worshiping. And by the way, the lyrics of the typical modern song are quite shallow--not even much praise in them. I prefer the solid theology of most of the old hymns (though some of them are shallow, too).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    San Francisco?

HankD

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark to be honest I like simplicity in church music - a capella - I really like.
    Also, song lyrics which are extracted from scripture to me are a necessity to a biblical venue of the worship in spirit and truth.

music is the milk which I enjoy but the teaching/preaching of the word is the meat which makes me strong.

I agree that we may have idols in our lives not made of silver, gold or a material substance - "Christian entertainment" may be or become one of these trappings.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  12. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of my favorite verses concerning music (though "song" may be a metaphor as well) is Psalm 40:3 -

"And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many will see it and fear, and shall trust in the LORD."

• Like Like x 1
  13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen OAS,
    not many folks realize but Israel also had a Great Commission, part of it involved "sing"ing:

Psalm 96
    1 O sing unto the LORD a new song: sing unto the LORD, all the earth.
    2 Sing unto the LORD, bless his name; shew forth his salvation from day to day.
    3 Declare his glory among the heathen, his wonders among all people.
    4 For the LORD is great, and greatly to be praised: he is to be feared above all gods.
    5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
    6 Honour and majesty are before him: strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.
    13 Before the LORD: for he cometh, for he cometh to judge the earth: he shall judge the world with righteousness, and the people with his truth.

vs 1 the earth - sing
    vs 2 preach His salvation DAILY (from day to day).
    vs 3 Preach His glory to the heathen (Gentile Nations).
    vs 4 & 5 The LORD He is the creator and the only true GOD the LORD (all else are idols).
    vs 13 The LORD is coming to judge the world.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is called allegorical interpretation. Like Origen, you are not interpreting the text literally when you do this, but you are saying that there is a deeper, "spiritual" meaning behind the text. I oppose this kind of "exegesis" as eisegesis.

But the Bible does not say so. Now, if you wish to take the Greek latreuo and say that in doing what you are saying here the person is worship/serving the object of the affections, I might agree with you. But you have not yet defined worship,nor have you really endorsed the definitions of the two Greek words for worship that I have given, as far as I can see.
    Forgive me, but I'm not impressed with the level of spiritual perception in the OP song. For example, he seems to be saying that to produce revival we have to trim down the church and get rid of people: "Jerk the pews & all the decorations, too Until the congregations few, then have revival."
    I could not disagree more.

Then he seems to be saying that worship begins with song: "Worship is more than song." But that is not a Biblical position. Nowhere in the Bible does it even say that just singing is worship.

No, if someone is watching a singer, the only thing you've listed (sing, pray, think) that is worship in the Bible is prayer, when you bow down to Christ. Thinking is not worship, and singing may or may not be worship.
    I disagree. Paul is using it as a metaphor. (And I taught English 101. :Biggrin )

This is not grammatical-historical interpretation. In the day when 1 John was written, the Roman Empire was absolutely filled with physical idols. The average believer would have seen a number of physical idols that very day he read 1 John, so he would have taken the meaning of this passage as physical idols.

When I said the word "idol" (偶像) to a Japanese, 100 times out of 100 he took it as a physical idol. I never heard your view from a Japanese, simply because a Japanese had already seen physical idols that very day: a jizo (child Buddha) by the roadside, a Buddha in the local temple, a Shinto shrine above his head in a business, maybe a "god shelf" or Buddhist altar in his home.
    I do not doubt that there are good, Godly worship leaders. But the fact remains that the position is not in the Bible. And again, music is never said to be worship in the Bible. You have yet to point to a single verse that supports your presupposition.

#34 John of Japan, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  15. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm pretty sure we both agree with this:
    All singing is not worship and all worship is not singing.

I haven't said otherwise.

Thanks for your encouragement. Although I don't feel I can commit the time for a truly intensive study of worship throughout the Bible, I did look through all the uses of the two words you mentioned in the NT, and a sampling of them in the LXX.

I'll share some thoughts more directly related to our discussion below, but two things jumped out at me:

1. The root meaning of the Greek word most commonly translated "worship" (proskuneo) is to "bow down" (as you correctly shared). This element of meaning is explicitly present in many of the uses of the word "worship". I feel that many of our Baptist churches may be missing something because we rarely have settings where we physically bow down before God. Of course, our heart attitude is far more important than our physical position. Still, there is something about the physical position of bowing on the floor which helps us feel and show our relationship to God.
    2. Associated with the bowing, it seems that the root idea of worship is something close to this:
    a. A recognition through words and actions that God is in authority over us and that we are willingly submitting to Him.
    b. A joyful realization and proclamation that God is worthy to be in the position of authority He has because of who He is and because of His power, holiness, love, and other attributes.

I agree! The type of singing described in Col 3:16, both to "one another", and "with grace in your hearts to the Lord", is worship.

I feel that you are defining the meaning of worship too narrowly. Thankfully, we have a concrete example in the video with the song Agnus Dei. If I understand you correctly you are saying that the people singing in that video may be praising God, but they are not worshiping Him. But consider this example of worship from the Bible:

the twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast their crowns before the throne, saying, "Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created." (Rev. 4:10-11 ESV)

Here, the worship includes adoration and praise to God. This text does not say that they were singing, but I can't see how adding music would make similar words of adoration and praise cease to be worship.

Here's one more example:

And the twenty-four elders who sit on their thrones before God fell on their faces and worshiped God, saying, "We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, who is and who was, for you have taken your great power and begun to reign.

I think it is right to say that the people in the video were worshiping.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you to an extent. My point has been from the beginning that based on Col., singing is worship only if it is done in service to Christ (latreuo). Otherwise it is praise, but not worship. You have not yet interacted specifically with this; you've been kind of general in your statements.
    That's a good start.

This is good, except that bowing down is not the "root meaning" of proskuneo (which gives room for other meanings), it is THE meaning of proskuneo. It occurs in 54 verses in the NT, and without looking I'm pretty sure that you cannot find a single place where it means otherwise.
    So far so good.

Now you have left exegesis and are orating. For example, joy may or may not be part of worship. We should still serve Christ and bow down in prayer even if we are having troubles and have lost our joy.
    Very good. Now I'll ask again. Can singing be worship if it is praise but not service?
    You've caught my meaning. In the video they are not worshiping unless they are serving or bowing down. I don't see anyone bowing down, and the only people who might be serving are on stage.

As for defining the meaning too narrowly, that's what I do. I'm a linguist, Greek teacher, and Bible translator. if we are not precise and narrow in our usage of NT words, the game is over. We can then define NT words just like we want to, and we become Humpty Dumpty in Through the Looking Glass, who made words mean what he wanted them to.

I've made the point that praise and worship are different acts. Do you agree or disagree?

Look again. If you went to Bible college and/or seminary, dredge up your Greek and note that "worship" in both these cases is proskuneo. So they physically bowed down to Christ, and then they praised Him--two separate acts.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, I feel like you have likely misinterpreted the authors intention when he wrote "Jerk the pews and all the decorations, too, Until the congregations few, then have revival".

The song uses a lot of poetic and metaphorical language, including hyperbole. For example, I seriously doubt the song's author is advising that we literally burn the sound and lights in the two lines before the one you quoted:

Clear the stage and set the sound and lights ablaze
    If that's the measure you must take to crush the idols
    Jerk the pews & all the decorations, too
    Until the congregations few, then have revival​

What might the author mean then? In the context of this song, I think he is saying that we should do whatever it takes to get rid of anything in our life that is interfering with us loving, serving, and following God. It's unlikely this will literally involve removing the pews from the church, much less the people. Although it might involve making some changes which might cause some people to leave the church. His point is, whatever it takes, it is worth it in order to experience God more fully. And sometimes "trimming" does come before new growth and fruit.

Perhaps the song's author was influenced by similar "do whatever it takes" language that Jesus used:

ESV Matthew 5:30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.

If someone reading this hasn't listened to the song, or if you listened to it a while ago and don't remember all of it well, I encourage you to listen again and see if my interpretation makes sense. For convenience I will repost it here:

[​IMG]

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that the first thoughts are hyperbole. And yes, I am fully aware that poetry uses a lot of symbolic language. I don't think the idea of making the congregation few is hyperbole, but regardless, these words do not describe how revival comes. The great revivalists have never taught this kind of thing: Finney, Moody, Torrey, John R. Rice (my grandfather, so I know his views on revival very well).

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark, I think I understand the jest of what you are saying.
    You are sensitive to the many issues the contemporary church is enduring.

While Jesus indicated that the gates of hell would not prevail against the church - by using the word "prevail" (overcome, overpower) by so saying He indicated that there would indeed be the attempt to do so.

In Matthew 13 Jesus outlines the Devil's plan to attempt to destroy the kingdom.

In summary, at the end of the age Jesus Himself will take care of the devil and his emissaries - the tares sown among the wheat.

Matthew 13
    41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
    42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

So I agree that we should have concern and do what we can to keep the local churches free from corruption but know this - that Jesus Himself will ultimately cleanse His church.

Again, not that we should ignore iniquity in the churches - we do what we can to oppose the influence of the tares through prayer and discipline and leave the rest to Jesus.

IOW We need not be lamenting and wringing our hands over conditions in "Christendom".
    Jesus told us beforehand this would be and how He Himself will take care of it.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel like our discussion is a positive example that it is actually possible to make progress in understanding in these forum discussions. At least I hope and pray that it actually true, and not merely my optimistic feelings.

I want to narrow down to your last statement:

In the first passage about "worship" I agree that your interpretation is grammatically possible. Here it is:

the twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast their crowns before the throne, saying, "Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created." (Rev. 4:10-11 ESV)

BGT Revelation 4:10 πεσοῦνται οἱ εἴκοσι τέσσαρες πρεσβύτεροι ἐνώπιον τοῦ καθημένου ἐπὶ τοῦ θρόνου καὶ προσκυνήσουσιν τῷ ζῶντι εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων καὶ βαλοῦσιν τοὺς στεφάνους αὐτῶν ἐνώπιον τοῦ θρόνου λέγοντες· 11 ἄξιος εἶ, ὁ κύριος καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν, λαβεῖν τὴν δόξαν καὶ τὴν τιμὴν καὶ τὴν δύναμιν, ὅτι σὺ ἔκτισας τὰ πάντα καὶ διὰ τὸ θέλημά σου ἦσαν καὶ ἐκτίσθησαν.

Three verbs are highlighted in blue. The first two, "worship" and "cast" are in the indicative mood. "Saying" is a present participle. It seems to me that it is an adverbial participle and tells us what the elders were doing while they were casting down their crowns. It could also be telling us what they were doing while they were worshiping, but this is not certain.

Here's the other passage:

NIV Revelation 11:16 And the twenty-four elders, who were seated on their thrones before God, fell on their faces and worshiped God, 17 saying: "We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, the One who is and who was, because you have taken your great power and have begun to reign.

BGT Revelation 11:16 Καὶ οἱ εἴκοσι τέσσαρες πρεσβύτεροι [οἱ] ἐνώπιον τοῦ θεοῦ καθήμενοι ἐπὶ τοὺς θρόνους αὐτῶν ἔπεσαν ἐπὶ τὰ πρόσωπα αὐτῶν καὶ προσεκύνησαν τῷ θεῷ 17 λέγοντες· εὐχαριστοῦμέν σοι, κύριε ὁ θεὸς ὁ παντοκράτωρ, ὁ ὢν καὶ ὁ ἦν, ὅτι εἴληφας τὴν δύναμίν σου τὴν μεγάλην καὶ ἐβασίλευσας.

Again, "worshiped" is in the indicative mood, while "saying" is a present participle. This mostly likely indicates that the "saying" was part of the worshiping. It was part of how they worshiped (an adverbial participle indicating means). It was what they were doing as part of their worshiping. This interpretation fits both grammatically and contextually. I'm not saying it HAS to mean this, I'm saying this meaning fits well.

One last note in this comment. I honestly appreciate your passion for precision. God's Word is important. And that means the original languages are important. But it's also important to remember how our words will likely be interpreted by people who just know English. It might have helped if early on you had said something like, "The people in this video appear to be truly praising the Lord and that is a good and valuable activity, but according the Greek word most commonly translated "worship", they are not worshiping because they are not physically bowing down." I say this because many English readers would interpret a statement like "they are not worshiping" (not an exact quote) to be a criticism of them and of the video rather than a point about the difference between "worship" and "praise" based on the Greek text which has been mostly lost in English usage. Does that make sense?

Grace and Peace, Mark