1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Mystery of the Man named Jesus...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Manie Amari, May 12, 2019.

1. Manie Amari

Manie Amari New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In these verses we learn about the mission of Christ and his expectations of those who follow him as his disciples. Until this time the disciples have been given hints, but Jesus makes clear who he is and what he will experience at the hands of man. Jesus asked the disciples who others thought he was and who they thought he was. Peter supplies the correct answer and identifies Jesus as the “Christ of God” (Messiah of God or Anointed messenger). Jesus “straitly charged” (strictly, to lay a penalty upon one, and to charge under penalty) the disciples to tell no one as he revealed his death and rejection by the religious rulers. He also told of his resurrection on the third day.

In verses 23-26, Jesus explains the cost of discipleship. He says those who will come after him (not future but present tense of the verb to will: wills to come or would come) must deny (self-interest/self fulfilment) themselves and take up their cross daily and follow Him. Jesus says that to attempt to hold on to this life or self-interest will only result in losing your life (the life in Christ which is eternity) while losing it means to gain it. Verse 25 depicts the ultimate loss of one’s soul, meaning to experience God’s judgement. To disown Jesus and his words means Jesus will also disown that person when he comes in His glory. (The second coming)

In verse 27, Jesus makes a controversial statement regarding some standing there who would not see death without seeing the kingdom of God.

Q: Why does Jesus ask the disciples to not mention Him as the Messiah?

Q: According to Jesus what is the cost of discipleship?

Q: What is the result of a relationship with Jesus? Without Jesus?

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the passage

Luke 9
    23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
    24 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.
    25 For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?
    26 For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.
    27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.
    ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Manie Amari

Manie Amari New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate your response but could you address the questions?

Q: What is the result of a relationship with Jesus? Without Jesus?

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A: The time was not right, He wanted to reveal Himself to the religious leadership first.
    But what difference does it make? We should just do as He says.

A: A price we are powerless to pay. His blood.
    Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
    1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Q: What is the result of a relationship with Jesus? Without Jesus?[/QUOTE]Life or Death.
    John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

• Like Like x 1