1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Nature of the Church, OT and NT

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by John of Japan, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the NT church include OT saints? My grandfather thought so. His position was historic premil. I followed my grandfather in this until I applied to my mission board in 1977, and had to write that I disagreed with their doctrinal statement where it said, "The church as peculiar to the age of grace." At the candidate committee, my friend said I came out after 2 hours, white as a sheet and sweating profusely. His interview only took ten minutes! So, they encouraged me to study out ecclesiology for myself, and I did. Dr. Monroe Parker, our director, was extremely helpful in this process when I spent a day with him, and I eventually came out agreeing with the doctrinal statement and spending 33 years in Japan.

The verse Granddad (and others) most go to is Acts 7:38, "This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us." However, to make this mean something exactly the same as the NT church is to ignore polysemy--a linguistic term meaning that a word can have more than one meaning. Just because the same Greek word is used in two places does not make them the same. I could literally give 100's of illustrations of this from the Bible. In this case (as Dr. Tom pointed out elsewhere), is the "assembly" (ekklesia, same as "church" elsewhere) of Acts 19 a NT church? Of course not! It's a meeting of the male citizens of a Greek city.

Now, note the following comparison:

"Church in the wilderness"--did not meet on Sundays, did not baptize, were not born again, had no membership, included lost people, etc.

Church at Jerusalem--Evangelism, preaching, baptism, membership ("added to them" in vv. 41 & 47), regular meetings, etc.

#1 John of Japan, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither were they indwelt with the HG.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that the question is more like " are all of the redeemed placed by God into the body of christ, either OT/NT times or not? One people of God, as any saved even in the OldCovenant werer really saved by the New Covenant, its just that the actual church itself to be establshed as an enitiy on earth required mesiah to first come and die , and then be resurrcted, and have the Holy Spirit come to the earth to set it up now.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any who have even been saved have to have been reborn again though, correct?

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You did not write the op you do not get to change the question.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was not intending to change it, just seeking to see if his Grandfather saw OT saints as part of the church was what was meant!

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, that's a different question. You can believe there was no church in the OT, yet still believe that OT saints will be gathered with NT saints in Heaven, based on Heb. 12:23, "To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect."

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is what I believe, as any ever who was saved are included in the Body, but the church itself, started at pentacost. Now we could see it as being the church or spieirtual israel, as to me just means the saved and redeemed of the lord are in that body.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You could probably sign that doctrinal statement. :)

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that means that Ot saints and NT saints raised up at same time!

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably. Maybe. Not part of the conversation.

13. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree the church has been here ever since God set it up... The tabernacle in the wilderness was the church... The sanctuary was the church... The temple was the church... If you are the called out as the OT saints were and now as the NT saints are that constitutes the church... Choose this day whom you shall serve as for me and my house we will serve the Lord... If you weren't serving the Lord in the OT you were not part of the church the called out... Mitch says that the OT saints didn't have the indwelling of the Holy Ghost, well if they didn't then how could they be moved to speak the things of God without it according to 2 Peter 1: 21 and how can you be move to preach it if you didn't?... JOJ I agree with Grandpa... Christ said upon this Rock I will build my church, well does this verse constitute the church and notice there is baptism... Brother Glen:)

2 Corinthians 10:1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;

10:2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

10:3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;

10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

Btw Moses is a type and shadow of Jesus Christ!

14. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's use another thought...

Do you believe the Body of Christ was a reality in the OT?

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume you are referring to the common definition of the "church" (Gr. ekklesia) as a "called out assembly." The word doesn't really mean that in NT usage, though that is the etymology (word origin). But the meaning of a word is almost never based on its etymology. To make etymology equal the meaning is called the "root fallacy" in linguistics, or sometimes the "etymological fallacy," defined as "The notion that the 'true meaning' of a word is the one to be expected from its etymology" (P. H. Matthews, Oxford Concise Dictionary of Linguistics, p. 128).

The church in the NT has a number of characteristics that no assembly in the OT has: meeting on Sunday, doing evangelism because of the Great Commission, regenerate membership, baptism, the Lord's Supper, local assemblies, etc. The OT saints therefore cannot be part of the church.

However, "I will build" is future active indicative. In other words, the future tense means that when Jesus said that He was not yet building His church.

Sorry, but w Cor 10 teaches nothing about the church. The word is just not there. If we are going to talk about ecclesiology, shouldn't the passage at least have the word "church," or "body of Christ"?

And in 2 Cor. Paul wrote in v. 32, "Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God." So Paul classified the "church of God" as a separate entity from either the Jews or the Gentiles.

#15 John of Japan, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  16. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit so all believers from Abel on had the Holy Spirit. The OT church was a State Church made up on unbelievers and believers alike. When Jesus abolished circumcision, he removed the physical unbelievers from Israel, leaving only the NT believers in Christ as Israel. It is to this Israel he will reattach any broken off Jews through faith in Christ. Jesus and those who believe in him are Biblical Israel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give me an example of an OT believer being described as being indwelt by the HG.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Elijah

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture please

20. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of the faithful in Hebrews 11 cp. Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,” (Galatians 5:22)

• Prayers Prayers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.