1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Need for New Translations

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Jun 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that God inspired Scripture as reflected in the original autographs. But we are dealing with various attempts to accurately translate what we believe to be the most accurate copies of those autographs.

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In essence, what it is doing is creating confusion. We now are getting conflicting translations of the same passages. The conflicting translations are practically undermining the authority of Scripture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree differing translations, all supposed to accurately reflect God's word do undermine the authority of scripture. But the way forward is not the status quo. But rather to achieve a consensus which would require dumping the dictatorial elitists who say my way or the highway. We are supposed to be filled with the spirit of unity.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to add a caveat here. I was hoping for pushback on this point, but no one has done so.

Here is the caveat. An English translation that provides the basis for missionary translations would be valid, I feel. For example, there is yet no translation of the Robinson-Pierpont Byzantine Textform. I think such a translation would be of benefit not only to scholars and laymen, but to missionaries wishing to do a translation from that Greek New Testament.

A missionary translator is going to use an English version from the same source texts for purposes of comparison and correction as he or she does the new missionary translation. Therefore a Byzantine Textform translation would be useful for that purpose.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is where Bible translation consultants such as Dr. Kerr come in. We must have the national translators, who are "native speakers," do the main work. However, if they do not know the original languages, which is a common predicament, then the consultant who is fluent in the original languages can help.

One tool for this is called the back-translation. This is where the translation is retranslated into English so that the consultant can check it. There might not be a need for the whole NT to be back-translated, but enough for the consultant to see how it is going.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even scholars who have no knowledge of the target language of the missionary translation can be a help by being consultants. Furthermore, many of these men are perfectly capable of learning such a target language if they take a sabbatical for a year or two.

I will say, though, that our leading grammarians and textual critics are already doing a service for missionary translation by their work. I often check and keep up with the work of such men.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was what the Nasv was used for, correct?

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is why we need to make sure to use the formal versions for serious studying, and the more DE for public readings, and for casual readings...

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who would be those elitists though?

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has been used for that, but I've never heard that to be the primary motive.

11. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    West Africa is split between Francophone (French-speaking) and Anglophone (English-speaking). The project I mentioned is in a Francophone country for one of the tribal languages

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Y1, please explain what is meant by the spirit of unity. Perhaps you might cite the verses associated with the concept. If you fail your responsibility for collegiality, then I suspect you are very familiar with elitism.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am willing to accept all decent translations as being the very word of God to us now, so Nas/Esv/Niv/Nkjv/Kjv etc all fit that bill, how about you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thought that it was used as a basis for a Japanese translation from it?

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalm 133:1
    Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brothers to dwell together in unity!

John 17:23
    I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.

Ephesians 4:1-3
    Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, [2] with all humility and gentleness, with patience showing tolerance for one another, [3] being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Ephesians 4:13
    until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

Colossians 3:14
    Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.

No mention that we should proclaim diverse translations as conducive to unity, or this thorn in the flesh is ok because we have other fish to fry.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See post #15

The WEB is based on the Majority Text, and is available to scholars and laymen and missionaries wishing to do a translation based on a Byzantine/Majority Textform.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know of a similar project. Very needed.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the Shinkaiyaku was done from the same principles as the NASB and supported by Lockman. They did translate from the original languages, though. It was revised several years ago.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Majority Greek NT of Hodges and Farstad was edited with quite different principles from the Robinson-Pierpont Byzantine Textform, and there are literally 1000s of differences between the two Greek texts, with many being major variants.

The Byzantine Priority position is not the same as the Majority text position.

20. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you mean financial support? Was it this support of the Shinkaiyaku by the Lockman Foundation that created the basis for the lawsuit against TEAM? I would rather hear that Lockman's concern for spreading the word had overridden any financial concerns they had, but it sounds like that was not the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.