1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Need for New Translations

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Jun 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haven't you figured out by now I'm doing my best not to answer that question? I simply making observations from the cheap seats. If I was in the translating ministry or if I did more exegetical preaching then I'd have an answer for you. As I said before my comments are applicable to all camps CT\MT\TR\Byz.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your viewpoint regarding the scriptures is what we all should agree with here, as any of those sources texts can and have been used by God to make good english translations made available to us!

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    no, as John has stated that he prefers that platform...

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are you answering for the Squire? What does JJ have to do with Squire's textual preference?

5. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing, though JoJ is in a position where he needs to have one. And he has the education to properly hold one. And I'm not stating mine.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

In other words his position has nothing to do with your position.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your platform?

8. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I don't plan on preaching from any of the problematic passages e.g.1 John 5:7-8 or the last verses of Mark anytime soon if ever, my position is irrelevant. Unless you can point out to me a textual concern I need to be aware of preaching from Romans 1:1.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Squire, you are confusing to say the least. First you say your position is :"It's a matter of the perfect being the enemy of the good enough." (post 53)

Then you took that back and said it's a case of "the better being the enemy of the good enough."

So obviously you believe that only certain translations are worthy enough based on the textform they originate from.

But then you stated in post 59 that text families do not matter.

You are as hard to nail down as jelly to the wall.

But this business of text families being enemies of one another is very puzzling.

Have you ever heard that clarity is a virtue?

10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    R, haven't you figured out by now I'm being purposefully obtuse. Too many on this particular forum take positions that far outstrip their basic knowledge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well then, why make statements as extreme as yours that I have quoted? For someone who wants to be on the sidelines, you enjoy being provocative.

12. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I've said could be applied to all camps of this issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely not. Nobody but a KJVO'er would claim perfection of an English translation based on particular textform.

Nobody would claim that the better is the enemy of the good enough --which defies logic, by the way.

Nobody would say text families do not matter.

14. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The engineering proverb goes something like this: "Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good." As I interpret this, it means that when what you already have is good enough to get the job done right, seeking the perfect (rather than getting on with the job) becomes an enemy of productivity. I'm guessing that "perfect" and "enemy", outside of that proverb's context, were intended in this thread as figures of speech rather than literal perfection/enmity.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you OaS. You are very correct. The post that gave rise to my comment was this one from JoJ:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please inform us all what part of God's revelation has been lost to those who use translations based on textforms that you do not value so highly.

17. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, if you don't over think my comment, you'll see it's in opposition to JoJ's remark.

18. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Need for New Translations

Translation defined ~

the process of translating words or text from one language into another.

Translating defined~
    express the sense of (words or text) in another language.

Transliteration defined ~
    to write words using a different alphabet.

IMO ~ TRANSLATING "sounds" "good" ~ however when examining its meaning ~ TRANSLATING gives way and opportunity for the "translator" to "express" his own ideas of what he thinks is a suitable "expression" (and understanding) of a text he is attempting to "translate".

I am sure there have been circumstances whereby attempts to TRANSLATE were deemed "necessary",
    BECAUSE; of trying to verbatim transliterate; (ie ....
    write the original into a different language, when that different language, HAD NO word equal to the original text language.

IMO ~ the umpteen "so called Translated texts" (just specifically speaking of English texts), has seemingly adopted,
    "translating" under the guise of "the translators" "expression" of language to prevail, WHEN original TEXT was most suitable. (ie English to English).

IMO ~ the premise promoted is; Easier for the English reader to Read.
    IMO ~ the underlying projection is: English readers are too stupid to comprehend their own native language.
    IMO ~ the underlying intent is: To rewrite the meanings of the original text to become the translators "understanding".

IMO ~ (for the most part) ALL translated texts ~ promote ~ the ONE common theme;
    God is thee Supreme Spirit and creator of all things.

IMO ~ it is the "translations", (via translators), that interject their OWN words, expressing their OWN opinions and OWN understanding, is that which Changes the original meaning of the text.

Bottom line ~ God desires the faithful to receive HIS knowledge, HIS wisdom and HIS understanding.

Bottom line ~ NOT a secret ~ "Everything" good created thing has a counterpart attempting to squash the "good" and project "itself" as "good".

Bottom line ~ Everything ~ Angels and ManKIND corrupts ~ God provides an ORDER and MEANS (ie WAY) for a "natural" man to "ESCAPE" (overcome) the corruption.

Thus ~ regarding TRANSLATIONS ~ effectively translated ~ via opinions, via understandings of ManKIND ~ so too has God Himself provided a WAY for a Being called ManKIND to "ESCAPE" (ie overcome) Scriptural corruption.

Those WHO have exercised their Freewill, in standing WITH God ~

2 Cor 3 KJV

[3] Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

[3] Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

2 Cor 3 KJV 1611

[3] Forasmuch as yee are manifestly declared to be the Epistle of Christ ministred by vs, written not with inke, but with the spirit of the liuing God, not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

2 Cor 3 TYNDALE

[3] in that ye are knowen how that ye are the pistle of Christ ministred by vs and written not with ynke: but with the sprete of the livynge God not in tables of stone but in flesshly tables of ye herte. (herte = heart)

2 Cor 3 VULGATE (LATIN)

3 manifestati quod epistola estis Christi, ministrata a nobis, et scripta non atramento, sed Spiritu Dei vivi: non in tabulis lapideis, sed in tabulis cordis carnalibus. (the IMPORTANT WORD "HEART" is missing)

2 Cor 3 Codex Sinaiticus (GREEK)

3 Fanerónontas óti eíste mia epistolí tou Christoú, pou ypiretoúsate apó emás, gramméni óchi me meláni, allá me to Pnévma tou zontanoú Theoú. Óchi se pínakes apó pétra, allá se sarkódi trapézia tis kardiás. (kardiás = heart)

And WHY is the inclusion of the word "HEART" important WHEN speaking TO; those who ARE manifestly declared to be the Epistle of Christ ?

Because those who ARE NOT manifestly declared to be the Epistle of Christ, HAVE NOT received a "new heart".

Ezek.36
    1. [26] A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

WHEN Scripture IS "Translated" "rather than" "Transliterated".....the "effect" CAN BE the Translator's expression of the text, WITHOUT using the expressed WORDS of the original text.....thus the reader becomes "subject to" the Translators "opinion and understanding"; which at times IS NOT parallel with Gods understanding, and effectively projects the complete OPPOSITE of what God desires for a faithful man to receive.

The Christian life is not about pleasing God the finger-shaker and judge. It is not about believing now or being good now for the sake of heaven later. It is about entering a relationship in the present that begins to change everything now. Spirituality is about this process: the opening of the heart to the God who is already here.”
    Marcus J. Borg, The God We Never Knew: Beyond Dogmatic Religion To A More Authenthic Contemporary Faith :Thumbsdown

Gal 1

[10] For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

“the Bible is a human product: it tells us how our religious ancestors saw things, not how God sees things.”
    ― Marcus J. Borg,
    Convictions: How I Learned What Matters Most :Thumbsdown

2Tim.3
    1. [16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

No.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that all of the Greek texts in use today, such as the CT/MT/Bzt, even the ole TR, are the word from the Lord unto us now!

20. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are poor definitions. In the first place, you shouldn't define a noun using a cognate verb. In the second place, "translating" is not "express (sic) the sense...in another language," unless you believe paraphrasing is translating.

I'm deleting a lot here because it does not make sense to me in light of how you started.

This is a transliteration. Can you make sense of it?

I'm not sure what you are saying. You seem to opposing Bible translation. If you oppose "translation" then you oppose the KJV. Do you oppose the KJV?

Again, if you oppose Bible translation, what about those thousands of languages which do not have a single word of the Bible in their language. Do we have no responsibility to get a Bible into their language?

Transliteration (into English) simply keeps the words and grammatical forms of the original language, writing them as is in the target language alphabet. In the case of the NT, this means writing the Greek in the English alphabet instead of the Greek, which is then incomprehensible to anyone who doesn't know Greek.

#80 John of Japan, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.