1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Nephilim

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Jun 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that the term can refer to angles, but we also have to decide if it does in that particular passage. For example, the pagan king Cyrus is referred to as "messiah" (as far as I know, the only pagan to be referred to as such) and others such as the high priest and kings are God's "anointed". It would, of course, be a mistake to refer to them as God's Anointed, or the Messiah (meaning Christ here). And we also have "elohim" refering to pagan gods.

I think that there are other questions that must be asked. Can angels, who are spiritual beings in the "heavenly realm", father children? If so, to what end? I just don't think that angels works here. The passage itself points to the "flesh" and not the "spiritual".

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yhet went after "strange flesh", and how much stranger for an angel be human women? And think that could very well be BOTH fallen angels possessing bodies of sinful men to accomplish the offspring!

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know. I am having a problem thinking of spirits in the spiritual realm as "flesh". I think, instead, that the issue in Jude may very well have been men seeking after angels who appeared as men (they did not know them as angels but went after strange flesh). From there, I don't know that it is a very close thing to say angels fathered children with human women.

@TCassidy made a comment on another thread about the necessity of the virgin birth as it relates to mankind being under the head of Adam (Jesus was not born of Adam but of the Spirit). An interesting side note to consider is how this impacts men being born of angles. If this were possible, would these angel/man beings be redeemable as man? Would they, not being of human "seed", be under the curse of Adam?

#23 JonC, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  4. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think about Gen. 18, then? Spiritual beings enjoying a nice meal, an act that seems strangely fleshy to me.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think there is a difference between eating a meal and fathering children with human women. The former seems to make sense to me as this is how these angels manifested themselves, but the latter seems to redefine entertaining angels.

6. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Who were the Nephilims's -

Where did they come from -
    .....out of the wombs of human women who had become wives of Angels who came to earth, appeared in the flesh, and then became out cast to return to heaven.

Who were they -
    .....men of extraordinarily large stature, called by the names; such as the Anakims and Emims and likely other names.

What -
    .....offspring of unholy Angels and human earthly women.

When -
    .....in the same era of Moses and Joshua

Where -
    ..... Moab, from the mountains, from Hebron, from Debir, from Anab, and from all the mountains of Judah, Gaza, Gath, and Ashdod, and likely other places

How -
    .... Power given them of God

Why -
    ....Scripture does not reveal the reasoning -
    ....However Scripture does reveal spirits can take on himself the flesh likeness as a man, and be called a man.
    ....And it is NOT a HOLY act for a spirit to mate with a human.
    ....And when a spirits seed fertilizes a human womans egg, the offspring produced is of extraordinary stature.

IMO based in scripture, it is a foreshadowing of explaining WHY when the Messiah comes to earth, from heaven, in the likeness as a flesh man, called a man, he is not a HUMAN man, nor was Mary's "egg" in any way involved in the manifestation of Jesus.

7. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Disagree with your points in red.

1) Wives who produced offspring absolutely did copulate with their husbands, (who were angels come down from heaven, appeared in the flesh mated with human women) and precisely how offspring is to effected.
    (save Jesus and Mary the exception)

2) Angels of God in heaven do not marry.
    The Angels who mated with human woman were holy Angels (sons of God), who came to earth, saw daughters of men, and became UNholy, thus, they were not CAST FROM Heaven, but rather lost their estate IN HEAVEN, ie no longer returned to Heaven.

Therefore Matt 30 and Mark 12, does not apply to them.

Matt 30
    [30] For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
    Mark 12
    [25] For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven

3)

sons of God applies to holy angels (which those angels were when they came to earth).
    sons of God also applies to a human man who has been saved and born again.

8. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No.

Spirits can and have and do take on the likeness of man in the flesh.

Gen.18
    [1] And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;
    [2] And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground,
    [3] And said, My Lord, if now I have found favour in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant:

[8] And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree, and they did eat.

[16]
    And the men rose up from thence, and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham went with them to bring them on the way.

[20] And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;
    [21] I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.
    [22] And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD.

Heb 13

[2] Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

9. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'Sons of God' in Gen 6=Angels--either 'fallen' or falling in this act. Basically every major modern commentary on 2 Peter & Jude have no question that 2 Pet 2:4 & Jude 6 refers to the Angelic interpretation of Gen 6 {NAC; BECNT; Pillar; NIVAC; WBC; ect]--& the original language; history of interpretation; & NT evidence all heavily favor the angelic reference in Gen 6--not to mention how 'chained angels' in intertestamental literature most often refers to the angels in Gen 6--while I could go on-- I don't know if I need to get sucked into this debate b/c I've posted extensively on this issue in the past on the BB-----regardless--i realize despite how much evidence is offered--some will not be able to get past the 'illogical' notion of angels & humans producing offspring--& it is a 2nd rate doctrine--so you have the right to be wrong on this one--lol---God bless

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand your second disagreement but not your first. I said that we are dealing with intermarriage and not fornication, to which you disagreed noting that wives who produced offspring copulated with their husbands. Fornication is not such an act between husband and wife.

My point is that the passage speaks of these “sons of God” taking as wives women and fathering children. Except for this passage evidence of angels marrying women and raising children seems foreign to Scripture and I do not see enough evidence to substantiate such a claim.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One problem is that the reference in it's original language is not so specific as some would like and the text neither dictates nor forbids the interpretation "angelic being". So what we do is read Scripture and decide which one makes sense. For me, angelic being does not for several reasons which I have listed. Another problem that we have here is that the identity of these "sons of God" is not important to the passage. The point is that mankind had become wicked and under the judgment of God.

Insofar as commentaries, I can without hesitation tell you that both sides (actually...all three major interpretations) have been represented. I don't want people to think that all, or even most, major modern commentaries side with the Angelic interpretation because this is simply not true. Some do, other's don't.

Here are just a few examples:

Bruce Waltke notes that “the traditional Christians interpretation since the third century, supported by Luther and Calvin, understood the sons of God and the daughters of men to be the sons of Seth and the daughters of Cain, and the sin the mingling of the two seeds, defiling the line”. He also notes that the idea of angels having sexual relations with mortals is extremely ancient and was held in the early apocalyptic literature, but that it does not fit in the context of the Flood (the judgment against humanity). Waltke suggests these were mighty men who were tyrants and demon possessed. (Genesis, Bruce Waltke)

John J. Davis states the interpretation of angels impregnating women is one of a few legitimate interpretations, but that it is impossible to make a definitive claim (Paradise to Prison).

Bill Arnold notes that while some claim the “sons of God” in Genesis 6:8 are angels or fallen angels, this is probably not the intent of the author (Encountering the Book of Genesis).

Michael Green (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries) attributes the account in Jude 6 to be the author using a popular myth to illustrate a point.

John MacArthur teaches that these angles were demons who possessed men and under their influence married women (The MacArthur New Testament Commentary).

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm unclear on your post.

We agree that angels do not father children, but that they can take on the appearance of man. What about these "sons of God" who fathered children (do you think these are angels who fathered half-breed children, or were these "mighty men" something else?)

13. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well aware of all the works mentioned---[& you forgot Matthews NAC]--& while all of these are credible-- most are either outdated or do not give the detail needed to the debate---here is an outline I wrote for my thesis on this topic--

Who are the “daughters of man”? Human woman (no family classification)

Since ha’adam is used as a generic term for mankind as a whole in verse 1, it should also be used as a generic term for mankind as a whole in v 2. Thus the daughters of ‘man’ are simply human women with no classification or family distinction. In essence, based on the original language & the context-- these daughters cannot be limited to the line of Cain. In fact, based on the preceding chapters mention of ‘daughters’ 9 times (5:4,7,10,13,16,19,22,26, 30)—the Sethite woman would be the logical identity of the these daughters. However, this misses the point of the text. Basically all that it is saying is that more women were born in the pre-flood world, than one might expect based on the genealogies given in Gen 4-5. The Main focus of v 1 is: The multiplication of mankind (population expanse) and in particular the existence of women. Verse 2 explains what specific role these human woman played.

Who are the “sons of God”? Angelic/celestial beings (fallen angels or angels that fell b/c of this sin)

Evidence for angelic interpretation of “sons of God”:

The original language:Sons of God’ (Hebrew: bene ha’elohim) is Hebrew idiom for angelic/celestial beings. The only other time the exact phrase is used in Scripture is in Job 1:6; 2:1; 38:7; & the LXX of Deut 32:8—all of which clearly refer to celestial creatures. The closest other use of the phrase is in Ps 29:1 & 89:6, both of which refer to angels. There is no instance in Scripture where this idiom refers to anything other than superhuman entities. The closest argument against this would come with Ps 82. But the exact Hebrew phrase is not used & more modern scholars are opting for a celestial interpretation of this passage as well (see Michael Heiser)

The context of Gen 6:2, 4-In the Hebrew the phrases “sons of God” & the “daughters of men” are meant to be contrasted from each other. The contrast that is implied between ha’adam (mankind, earthly sphere) & bene elohim (divine or heavenly sphere) is achieved in an angelic view but not with a purely human view.

The NT evidence (esp 2 Peter 2:4 & Jude 6, & possibly 1 Pet 3:19, 1 Cor 11:10)-- There is clear historical evidence that the angelic theory of Gen 6 existed during NT authorship (cf 1 Enoch 6-19; Jubilees 4: 15, 22; 5: 1; Damascus Document 2: 17-19; 1QapGen 2: 1; Testament of Reuben 5: -7; Testament of Naphtali 3:5; 2 Barach 56: 10-14)—some of these Jewish writings even describe the angels of Gen 6 as being locked away in chains (similar to 2 Pet 2:4 & Jude 6), while 1 Enoch actually uses the rare term Tartarus that is found in 2 Pet 2:4 (Greek tartarosas). There is no biblical or historical record of any other chained angels that would be relevant to NT readers besides the “sons of God” in Gen 6 (the context & grammatical structure of Rev 20 maintains this). As Thomas R. Schreiner explains in regard to 2 Peter 2:4, “Peter’s readers would naturally have understood the account in terms of such tradition unless Peter indicated clearly that he was departing from the common understanding of his day.” In addition, the simple fact that Peter followed his account of the sinning angels with a description of the flood, allows a natural connection to be drawn between 2 Pet 2:4-5 and Gen 6:1-4. Although Jude does not follow his description of the sinning angels with a reference to the flood, he does show familiarity with 1 Enoch by quoting the work in Jude 14-15. This is important because 1 Enoch treats Genesis 6:1-4 as the sin of the angels. 1 Enoch also describes the fallen angels from Genesis 6 as imprisoned (e.g. 1 En 10:4-7, 12-14; 19:1; 20:2-3; 21:10). Based on this, Jude should offer an explanation to his readers if he is referring to another group of chained angels. [ie, Jude talks about angels being chained—he then a few sentences later shows familiarity with 1 Enoch—considering the brevity of Jude’s letter & emphasis of the angelic interpretation of Gen 6 in 1 Enoch, it seems most logical that Jude agrees with 1 Enoch’s identification of the sons of God in Gen 6 as angels]. Further, Jude follows his description with a reference to Sodom & Gomorrah, linking the sexual sin of two with the Greek phrase: ton homoion tropon toutois or “in the same manner as these.” As Schriner explains, “this establish a parallel between the sexual immorality of the angels and the sexual immorality of Sodom.”

The History of interpretation- The angelic view can be dated back to the early 3rd century BC (with parts of 1 Enoch). It was maintained by Jews & Christians alike until late 2nd century AD, when Rabbi Simeon b. Yohai proposed a human ‘nobles’ interpretation. The Sethite view did not originate until the 3rd century AD, with Julius Africanus’ proposal. It was not popularized until the 4th century AD when Augustine favored it. Regardless, the angelic view dominated the first 300 years of Christian thought being supported by such thinkers as: Justin Martyr, Athenagoras, Irenaeus, Tertullian, and Lactantius (to name a few). In addition, the Septuagint (Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible) actually translates Gen 6 as angels, although some scholars question if this is original.
    I have a lot more to add---but like i said i don't need to get sucked into this debate--& i've debated this for so many years--i'm well aware some just won't get past the difficult premise--God bless

14. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon C--I actually do agree with one statement you made---'that Gen 6 is about the wickedness of man'--totally agree---i deal with that in a talk i gave about 5 years ago--I'll give the link below--but I wanted you to know--we do agree there--

• Like Like x 1
  15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was giving a few examples. I'm not very concerned with "out dated", except when the topic is dependent on new discovery (which is not the case here).

That said, I am interested in how you address the problems associated with the interpretation of angels fathering children by human women. I've read how some deal with Jesus' comments that angels are not given in marriage by noting that these marriages are unnatural (and I understand the reasoning, even if I reject that interpretation).

One problem Waltke noted with taking Genesis 6:4 to refer to the offspring of angels is the judgment in 6:5 being against human beings rather than non-human entities or hybrids. Verse 4 seems out of context if it is in fact dealing with a population other than the children of Adam.

Another issue is the idea that an angel having sexual relations with a human can father a child. This is, I grant, popular not only in ancient Jewish mythology but also in pagan religions (with angels being lesser gods). But the idea does not seem to be present in Scripture itself to the degree it is definitive (there are only the passages we've discussed and none of them have as their actual topic angels fathering children).

Since this supposed hybrid race would be neither "children of Adam" nor "children of God", how exactly do they fit into the biblical narrative?

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the link.

17. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL--i'll just post some more of the basic outline i give out when teaching on this--it covers all the questions you asked--& like i said i know the angelic interpretation is difficult--so if its not for you--no problem--but the info is always interesting to consider--God bless--

Common objections to angelic interpretation refuted

What about the NT statement that “angels do not marry”?

The most common objection to the angelic view comes in Jesus’ statement in Matt 22:30; Mark 12:25; and Luke 20:35-36. In these verses Jesus explains that, in the resurrection believers’ will be like the “angels of God in heaven,” who do not marry. Thus, some believe the sons of God in Gen 6 cannot be angels. But this assumption is erroneous.

· First, the angelic beings referred to by Jesus are clearly elect and holy angels, whose home is “in heaven.” This qualifying phrase distinguishes the angels Jesus refers to from the angels in Jude 6 who “left their natural habitat” & were punished for it. Although, the angels in heaven do not marry, the angels referred to in Gen 6: 1-4 as sons of God were no longer in heaven as Jude 6 explains. Many theologians feel that the only reason for Christ to modify and qualify his statement was to differentiate between the two groups of angels.

· Second, one has to remember that Jesus is speaking of heaven & the resurrection life. Since fallen angels will not be in heaven they would not qualify for this comparison, thus only those who remained loyal & holy fit the description of not marrying.

· Finally, Jesus is speaking to Sadducees in these verses. Ironically, they did not believe in angels or the resurrection (Acts 23:8). For Jesus to include angels in the statement when the resurrection is the focus, probably hints at his attack on their faulty belief system, not his exegesis against the angelic interpretation of Gen 6.

How could angelic beings have sexual relations? Simply put, spirit possession (celestial beings entering human bodies) or angels taking human form in an angelophany (when an invisible spirit takes visible form) could easily explain the means by which this act was performed. Further, this is the Bible we’re talking about—events that supersede human logic often take place (ie the virgin conception of Jesus, miracles in general, & the resurrection of Christ from the dead—to name a few). Thus, the inability to logically perceive an event should not limit ones interpretation of Scripture.

Other questions relating to the angelic interpretation of Gen 6 (these are brief summaries taken from theological debates I’ve had over the years)

How is it possible for angels to have sex--The question often comes up well how is this possible that angels could even have intercourse with human women—well it’s possible by angels possessing men or by angels taking the form of men in an aneglophany (when something invisible takes visible form). Further, this is the Bible we’re talking about—events that supersede human logic often take place (ie the virgin conception of Jesus, miracles in general, & the resurrection of Christ from the dead—to name a few). The inability to logically perceive an event should not limit ones interpretation of Scripture—especially when biblical evidence overwhelmingly favors the idea

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks.

I also liked your presentation (although I do disagree).

I agree that Jesus is speaking of angels of God in heaven not marrying, but this is not my main objection to the interpretation of Gen. 6. And I think it worth mentioning that Paul speaks of our present struggle as one against “spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places” (Eph 6:12).

I have considered (and still consider as a possibility) of demonic activity in terms of godly men marrying daughters of ungodly men and the children being increasingly evil (a pattern we see with Israel later). But beyond this I simply think that there is not enough evidence to develop a biblically based doctrine. This is important when (if?) we realize that the nature (whether human or hybrid) is not the point of the passage.

That said, do you draw a distinction between these Nephilim and those who lived after the flood?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    although I'm very aware of the '2nd wave theory' & the Numb 13 use of the Nephilim term--i personally think the angelic/human women incident was limited to the pre-flood world--with Numb 13 being language comparison & not literal [speaking in hyperbole to make a point of their size]--i'm not totally opposed to the theory that says their DNA made it on the ark through one of Noah's sons wives [esp Ham]--but this is speculative & its hard enough to convince people of the angelic understanding of Gen 6 with out adding more difficulty to the equation--so I leave it as a pre-flood world enigma---good talking to ya brother & if you ever want to talk about this issue again--feel free to contact me--God bless

• Like Like x 1
  20. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember the three primary rules of bible interpretation:

1. Context
    2. Context
    3. Context

Genesis chapter four describes the ungodly generation of Cain, while in chapter five we see the godly generation of Seth.

In Israel, separation was a vital part of the religious responsibility of those who truly worshipped God. What took place in chapter six was the breakdown in that separation which threatened the godly seed through whom Messiah was to be born. This breakdown was the cause of the flood which would follow.

Those who followed after the godliness of Seth, the Sons of God, saw those who followed after the godlessness of Cain, and allowed their animal lust to over rule their spiritual discernment, and took to themselves wives (common expression for human marriage in the OT) from the godless.

As is usually the case, the godly did not elevate the godless, but rather, the godless dragged the godly down to their level. This introduced apostasy into human kind, especially in the following generations, and this breakdown in separation was the root cause of the flood of Noah.

The ONLY cure for apostasy is the judgement of God.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.