1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Nephilim

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Jun 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not any pre-NT evidence for any view other then angelic of Gen 6--the 1st historical recorded of anything other does not come until the late 2nd century AD, when Rabbi Simeon b. Yohai proposed a human ‘nobles’ interpretation. That being said--there is one version of Jasher that seems to suggest something else--but the modern translation we have of this copy is highly debated. And in all honesty although Josephus verifies the angelic view--I've always personally felt he paid a lot of attention to Seth in his rendition of events & if I was a Sethite supporter I'd try & look into that more--now as far as the dates of historical interpretation--these came from when I wrote my thesis on this topic in 2006--so maybe some other dates have come out since then--but they'd have to pre-date the Dead Sea Scrolls--which are older then Targum copies we have--regardless interesting point

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems that the authors were aware of them being angels that fell, but many would not see them as being able to procreate as reason to reject...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    just checked my thesis--the source I have footnoted there is --Philip Alexander, 'The Targumim & Early Exegesis of 'Sons of God' in Genesis 6," Journal of Jewish Studies 23, no. 1 (1972): 61--if that helps any

4. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    IF our Savior IS "human", a "thing" created from Dust, we are all lost.

Scripture notifies us;
    the BODY, the FLESH of a Human is CREATED from Dust, and comes FROM the created EARTH and Returns to DUST of the Earth.

Scripture notifies us;
    the BODY, the FLESH of Jesus was PREPARED, was something Jesus TOOK UPON HIMSELF, came FROM Heaven, and RETURNED to Heaven.

If you take a COAT upon your self, are YOU A COAT?
    Do you not consider what you are IS BENEATH the COAT?

Are you unaware, MEN can not SEE God? Or why?
    Are you unaware, God has communicated with mankind "face to face", with a COVER, keeping mankind from SEEING Him?

IF, it was Gods plan for mankind to see Him "AS HE IS", from the beginning, TO THIS Day.....why do you think, Scripture teaches, mankind is being PREPARED, and in waiting to SEE Him "AS HE IS"?

What do you think that means? Mankind is waiting to SEE Him, the same as men saw Him in the past, with COVER, that he can not be seen, AS He is?

Jesus took the prepared BODY of Flesh, upon Himself.....Don't you comprehend there IS a "Himself", "without a Flesh" body.

Heb.10
    1. [5] Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
    Again, what about when he was not in this world?

What world was he in? And WHY did he not require a BODY of FLESH then?

John.18
    [36] Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world:

My Lord and Savior is NOT a human.
    My Lord and Savior is Spirit, is Life, is Truth, is Power.

:)

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wasn't thinking so much of an interpretation as just the words written (iow, choice that would seem to reference men rather than angels) and McNamara posited a 3rd or 4th century date for Targum Neofiti (no doubt that is a controversial opinion).
    This translation by J. H. Parry Company?
    Interesting, 1:73 is clear for angels. What parts are you referring to?

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus HAD to be human in order to qualify as the messiah!

7. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And WHY would anyone come to that conclusion?

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Due to angels not being flesh and blood and having sperm?

9. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    before I say anything else--remember I am all in on the angelic interpretation of Gen 6--& it pains me to even give help to a theory I wholeheartedly disagree with--& Josephus clearly affirms the early understanding of the angelic view--but in Antiq of Jews chpt 2:3--after he summarizes Adam, Abel, Cain--he stops & pays a lot of attention to Seth calling him 'virtuous' & 'excellent character'--then says 'so did he leave children behind him who imitated his virtues. All these proved to be of good dispositions...' --now remember in no way do i support the Sethite view--but my 1st agenda is proper understanding of Scripture--& this statement made me actually stop & reevaluate the possible evidence for a Sethite understanding--although it did not change my mind--if I was a Sethite guy--I'd look closer at this idea

• Like Like x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God has revealed to me several truths through His Word (truths that you reject). These include that angels do not father children, that the Flood was not a judgment upon the children of angels and human women but on human beings, that this judgment was not because of angelic sin but because of the sin of mankind, and many more things that may or may not be beyond your grasp.

Yet you suggest that I abandon what God has taught me to accept what you believe is true? Do you think yourself greater than God?

Scripture, not "Happy" is our authority because it is God's revelation of Himself to mankind. You would do well to learn that. Every time it comes down to believing your opinion over God's revelation I will choose God's Word. By comparison your ideas are just not that important to me.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, actually it does not. Tradition makes it's way into how we view Scripture. It is probably the reason you automatically assign to "sons of God" the meaning of angels (as by Genesis 6 the term has never been used to describe angels....and angels have not been described as capable of fathering children).

While the "traditional view" of the passage is the line of Seth and Cain, the idea that these were angels predates this traditional view. The Jews had a very "rich" mythology about angels, and to be fair much of it was based on their history. But associated beliefs do make their way into our view of things (most Americans believe they have certain Constitutional rights, but many have probably never actually read the Constitution itself).

There is a reason you assign the Nelphilim as being fathered by angels and it is not the two passages that speak of Nelphilim as Scripture does not offer such a definition. This alone tells us that God has not revealed to man all of the things that we may want to know. We are to test doctrine by God's Word (not by special revelation others claim to have received apart from Scripture).

Perhaps these were angels (I do not see how they could be fallen angels as the "sons of God" in Genesis 6 do not appear to be evil and their children seem to be "men of renown"). I am all for holding to what we believe to be correct. It becomes heresy, in this case, when we do so because we believe to possess "the understanding of God" on such topics.

12. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Correct.

False.

Correct.

13. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No. Jesus HAD to fulfill the LAW, in order to qualify as the Messiah.

14. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it does. Found it is available at Journal of Jewish Studies Archives, for free institutional use or purchase of pdf. Searching for that I also ran up on Alexander’s “From the Son of Adam to a Second God: Transformations of the Biblical Enoch.”

• Like Like x 2
  15. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks for your response.
    As stated, I have not read it, nor had anyone teaching me from from the book of Enoch.

sons of God was the point. What else "things" may be called, was not the point.

[/QUOTE]None of this proves much, other than historically at least two views of Genesis Chapter Six pre-dated New Testament times.[/QUOTE]

It is not much of a mystery, when one knows, who, what, when and why the title "son of God" is applicable.

:) just sayin...

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If one denies the humanity of Jesus, denies the trinity, so holds to heresy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jude, and the Holy Spirit, took a small part of that to be quoted as imspired history, correct?

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ONLY a man could die, and since he was also God, His death was all sufficient!

20. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe this is only true of the Codex Alexandrinus. Have you found it to be different? The print copy I have is, I believe, from Codex Vaticanus, with Lancelot Brenton's translation in English. It has υἱοὶ τοῦ Θεοῦ.
    Thanks, again.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.