1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The new LSV(Literal Standard version)

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, Feb 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, its the second edition, while BDAG would be third edition!

2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, well BDAG does not say Only Begotten should be used. It says that there is at least one reading that uses this. It actually states that Only (or unique, etc) is appropriate for all instances.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Origen

Origen Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This dispute can be easily resolved.

Here is the entry for μονογενής in BDAG 3rd ed. e-version p. 658.

μονογενής, ές
    (μόνος, γένος; Hes.; LXX; PsSol 18, 4; TestSol 20:2; TestBenj 9:2; ParJer 7:26; ApcEsdr 6:16; ApcSed 9:2; Joseph., Just.; loanw. in rabb.) acc. μονογενῆ (-ῆν J 3:16 v.l.; Hb 11:17 D; also ApcEsdr 6:16)

1. pert. to being the only one of its kind within a specific relationship, one and only, only (so mostly, incl. Judg 11:34; Tob 3:15; 8:17) of children: of Isaac, Abraham’s only son (Jos., Ant. 1, 222) Hb 11:17. Of an only son (PsSol 18:4; TestSol 20:2; ParJer 7:26; Plut., Lycurgus 59 [31, 8]; Jos., Ant. 20, 20) Lk 7:12; 9:38. Of a daughter (Diod. S. 4, 73, 2) of Jairus 8:42. (On the motif of a child’s death before that of a parent s. EpigrAnat 13, ’89, 128f, no. 2; 18, ’91, 94 no. 4 [244/45 AD]; GVI nos. 1663–69.)

2. pert. to being the only one of its kind or class, unique (in kind) of someth. that is the only example of its category (Cornutus 27 p, 49, 13 εἷς κ. μονογενὴς ὁ κόσμος ἐστί. μονογενῆ κ. μόνα ἐστίν=‘unique and alone’; Pla., Timaeus 92c; Theosophien 181, §56, 27). Of a mysterious bird, the Phoenix 1 Cl 25:2.—In the Johannine lit. (s. also ApcEsdr and ApcSed: ὁ μονογενής υἱός; Hippol., Ref. 8, 10, 3; Did., Gen. 89, 18; ὑμνοῦμέν γε θεὸν καὶ τὸν μ. αὐτοῦ Orig., C. Cels. 8, 67, 14; cp. ἡ δύναμις ἐκείνη ἡ μ. Hippol., Ref. 10, 16, 6) μονογενὴς υἱός is used only of Jesus. The renderings only, unique may be quite adequate for all its occurrences here (so M-M., NRSV et al.; DMoody, JBL 72, ’53, 213–19; FGrant, ATR 36, ’54, 284–87; GPendrick, NTS 41, ’95, 587–600). τὸν υἱὸν τὸν μ. ἔδωκεν J 3:16 (Philo Bybl. [100 AD]: 790 fgm. 2 ch. 10, 33 Jac. [in Eus., PE 1, 10, 33]: Cronus offers up his μονογενὴς υἱός). ὁ μ. υἱὸς τοῦ θεοῦ vs. 18; τὸν υἱὸν τὸν μ. ἀπέσταλκεν ὁ θεός 1J 4:9; cp. Dg 10:2. On the expr. δόξαν ὡς μονογενοῦς παρὰ πατρός J 1:14 s. Hdb. ad loc. and PWinter, Zeitschrift für Rel. u. Geistesgeschichte 5, ’53, 335–65 (Engl.). See also Hdb. on vs. 18 where, beside the rdg. μονογενὴς θεός (considered by many the orig.) an only-begotten one, God (acc. to his real being; i.e. uniquely divine as God’s son and transcending all others alleged to be gods) or a uniquely begotten deity (for the perspective s. J 10:33–36), another rdg. ὁ μονογενὴς υἱός is found. MPol 20:2 in the doxology διὰ παιδὸς αὐτοῦ τοῦ μονογενοῦς Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ. Some (e.g. WBauer, Hdb.; JBulman, Calvin Theological Journal 16, ’81, 56–79; JDahms, NTS 29, ’83, 222–32) prefer to regard μ. as somewhat heightened in mng. in J and 1J to only-begotten or begotten of the Only One, in view of the emphasis on γεννᾶσθαι ἐκ θεοῦ (J 1:13 al.); in this case it would be analogous to πρωτότοκος (Ro 8:29; Col 1:15 al.).—On the mng. of μονογενής in history of religion s. the material in Hdb.3 25f on J 1:14 (also Plut., Mor. 423a Πλάτων . . . αὐτῷ δή φησι δοκεῖν ἕνα τοῦτον [sc. τὸν κόσμον] εἶναι μονογενῆ τῷ θεῷ καὶ ἀγαπητόν; Wsd 7:22 of σοφία: ἔστι ἐν αὐτῇ πνεῦμα νοερὸν ἅγιον μονογενές.—Vett. Val. 11, 32) as well as the lit. given there, also HLeisegang, Der Bruder des Erlösers: Αγγελος I 1925, 24–33; RBultmann J (comm., KEK) ’50, 47 n. 2; 55f.—DELG s.v. μένω. M-M. EDNT. TW. Sv.

I do not own a BDAG 2nd ed. e-version, but I do own a hard copy. Here is a photo of the entry.
    Photo Mar 05, 4 09 31 PM.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you can still sin, doesn't make it right.

5. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    27 For the Son of Man is about to come
    in the glory of His Father, with His messengers, and
    then He will reward each, according to his work.
    28 Truly I say to you, there are certain of those
    standing here who will not taste of death until they
    may see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.””

Good for them. They give a faithful rendering of this passage.

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No such thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If only such a thing as "context for context translation" existed. :D

• Like Like x 3
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I took a quick look at Matthew and figured out several things immediately. There is a PDF at: (The Holy Bible (LSV).pdf)

First of all, the translators do not know koine Greek very well. They don't know what the historical present is, since they translate this usage with an English present tense in 4:19, "Jesus says...." Secondly, they don't understand verbal aspect in the participles, since they translate those as time usages rather than by aspect, such as in Matt. 5:1, where they have "having seen" for an aorist participle. This rendering misses aoristic aspect and concentrates on the tense instead. (I shouldn't be too hard on them, since my beginning Greek students have trouble with this. :D) Next, their insistence on using the original word order from time to time shows they don't understand syntax.

That's enough to tell me they are making the same linguistic errors as good old Robert Young did.

#48 John of Japan, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was fulfilled at the Transfiguration on the Mount, as still awaiting his second coming!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So not recommended by you as a worthwhile translation?

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It appears to be from the TR, since it has the trinitarian 1 John 5:7, which no other Greek NT has.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do the 2 editions agree with each other then? As even BGAD has that part on only begotten one!

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's only usage that I see would be to help a national translator doing a missionary translation to understand Greek syntax.

14. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has those words in double brackets [[ meaning they are not original ]] to be fair.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to be using the TR/MT texts mainly. Didn't the YLT use the TR?

16. Origen

Origen Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 2 edition are very close to one another. The 3rd edition has been expanded. Both editions state the same thing in regard to the topic.

I. The 3rd Edition:

"In the Johannine lit. (s. also ApcEsdr and ApcSed: ὁ μονογενής υἱός; Hippol., Ref. 8, 10, 3; Did., Gen. 89, 18; ὑμνοῦμέν γε θεὸν καὶ τὸν μ. αὐτοῦ Orig., C. Cels. 8, 67, 14; cp. ἡ δύναμις ἐκείνη ἡ μ. Hippol., Ref. 10, 16, 6) μονογενὴς υἱός is used only of Jesus. The renderings only, unique may be quite adequate for all its occurrences here (so M-M., NRSV et al.; DMoody, JBL 72, ’53, 213–19; FGrant, ATR 36, ’54, 284–87; GPendrick, NTS 41, ’95, 587–600)."

Now I will remove all the reference material.
    "In the Johannine lit. ονογενὴς υἱός is used only of Jesus. The renderings only, unique may be quite adequate for all its occurrences here."

The 2rd Edition:
    In the Johannine lit. μ. is used only of Jesus. The mngs. only, unique may be quite adequate for all its occurrences here.

Both editions say the same thing on this point.

II. The 3nd Edition:
    The sections addressing only-begotten.

"Some (e.g. WBauer, Hdb.; JBulman, Calvin Theological Journal 16, ’81, 56–79; JDahms, NTS 29, ’83, 222–32) prefer to regard μ. as somewhat heightened in mng. in J and 1J to only-begotten or begotten of the Only One..."

"Some prefer to regard μ. as somewhat heightened in mng. in J and 1J to only-begotten or begotten of the Only One..."

The 2nd Edition:
    "But some (e.g. WBauer, Hdb.) prefer to regard μ. as somewhat heightened in mng. in J and 1J to only-begotten or begotten of the Only One..."

"But some prefer to regard μ. as somewhat heightened in mng. in J and 1J to only-begotten or begotten of the Only One..."

Both editions say the same thing on this point.

III. Now what do they say?

(1) Both BDAG editions clearly state that in the Johannine corpus only\unique is a perfectly fine translation of the Greek.

(2) Both BDAG editions clearly state that some (and a list of those sources are given) "prefer to regard" μονογενής meaning as "somewhat heightened" (i.e.
    only-begotten or begotten of the Only One).

#56 Origen, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So they both would allow for either use of the term?

18. Origen

Origen Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can only go by what is written on the page.

In the Johannine corpus only\unique is a perfectly fine translation of the Greek.
    Some prefer to regard μονογενής meaning as somewhat heightened.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So both would be acceptable, as some regard and prefer one use over the other.

20. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Young's Literal Translation? Yes. Stephens 1550 I believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.