1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The NFL: Now America's most hated major sport

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol...you can't just mix demographics, huh? Then why are we mixing women in to our general pop survey when none are extant in MLB?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a horshoes and hand grenade accurate conversation, not a statistical dissertation.

Nobody is saying that the % of black people out of everyone is exactly equal to the % of black males out of all males. But it's in the ballpark.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

The stats about black males being under-represented in the MLB are, generally speaking, accurate. Assuming that males and females are an even split in both white people and black people, then the taking a sample of males in the age range of playing in the MLB, then black males would comprise roughly 13% of the sample, much like the general population. It's basic statistics.

However, the word "under-represented" has a negative connotation to it that it shouldn't necessarily have. It merely means that there is a lesser ratio present in the sample than in the general population. It doesn't mean that the MLB is racist. There are many, many factors which play in.

One of the biggest in my mind is the fact that black people tend to congregate in the inner city. Baseball is not a big thing in the inner city at all. It is more geared towards basketball on the street, and football/basketball in the schools. You'll notice that the percentage of black men playing in the NBA is much higher than in the general population.

Again, no racism is implied by these numbers. While the numbers don't rule it out, they definitely do not support it.

4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 1975 18.5% of all major league baseball players were black and 10.2% of all players were Latino. In 2016 6.7% of all major league baseball players were black and 27.4% of all players were Latino. The real story is not the decline of black players, it is the explosive growth of Latino players. [note: statistics are taken from the Society for American Baseball Research, Baseball Demographics, 1947-2016]

Systemic racism is not to blame for the decrease of black players. Like most issues the contributing factors are manifold. Overall youth participation in baseball has declined steadily for the past 18 years. Correspondingly youth participation in soccer and lacrosse has increased more than the decline in youth baseball participations decline. One reason for the decline is that participation in baseball has become more organized. In many areas, gone are the days when all you needed was a glove. Travel teams cost money and an investment in time for parents. Baseball also does not appeal to a generation that is growing up on video games and wireless devices. Because youth baseball has become more organized and costly, inner-city youth are at a disadvantage. Many do not have the money to join a travel team. It is much easier to grab a basketball and hit the court. Most Latino players are foreigners, not United States citizens. Youth baseball participation is also down for Americans of Latino descent. Major League baseball does have inner-city programs to increase youth participation, but the issue really has to be addressed at the local level.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh?

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh?

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh?

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you consider this "a problem"?

Do you consider it a problem that whites are grossly under representented in the NFL and the NBA? It's hypocritical/prejudicial of you if you don't.

What's your motive for even bringing it up?

#68 kyredneck, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  9. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certain demographics (income, geographical location, gender, race) favor certain sports, for a variety of reasons.

I reckon MLB wants viewers and ticket/jersey purchasers. If under-representation in the ranks is a reflection of a certain demographics disinterest in the sport in general, then surely MLB would have some interest in investigating what has caused the decline. Because it may be costing them money.

But at the end of the day, people like what they like.

10. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already addressed this upstream:

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh?
    You got your 2017 "stat" from an article written in 2014?

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just give it up with the "gotcha" stuff. Yes, the article I read was written in 2017 and quoted an article from 2014 with updated info.

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't, but Major League Baseball thinks it's a problem.

No.

Sorry, but it's not racism. Third time I've had to explicitly say this. Quit baiting me.

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is 8.5 lower than 6.7?

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are you so annoying?

16. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn’t mean to steal your thunder. It’s hard to dissect long threads. I also have a few posters on ignore, so I may have missed something in the thread.

Carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No thunder stolen. I posted old data; you posted more recent data. I enjoyed your contribution to the thread. It's just Jerome being his usual pedantic self.

18. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Then when called out for saying it's a problem—an obvious discrimination accusation.

You do this kind of thing over and over. Very obvious trolling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it's not obviously a discrimination accusation. it could be what Reformed was talking about. It could be that baseball has fallen out of favor among blacks because it's too expensive, the game is too slow, they'd rather be playing basketball, etc. It could be any number of reasons. But it's not discrimination. MLB broke the color barrier 70 years ago, the first major sport to do so. Minorities have thrived in MLB for decades.

Yes, I state facts and then you come along and call me a racist. Yet, I'm the troll. Puh-leeze.

20. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've not heard you state a fact on this thread yet.