1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The NIV 2011 edition

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by evangelist6589, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One doesn't, and he won't.
    There are one or two places where it is acceptable to mix singulars and plurals. Everyone and everybody are singular pronouns, but they always refer to more than one person. Therefore it is quite permissible for me to say, "Everyone who would like a Gideon Bible should come to the front and I will give them one." But one means 'one.' so to write " If one agrees with the translational philosophy of the 2011 NIV, they should embrace it" is ugly and horrible English and I don't care if Thackary or whoever it was wrote something similar once, I would not read such a sentence out loud.

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin, that is a play on the kind of words used in the 2011 NIV (singular they). My point was not that everyone has to embrace this kind of English, but that those who do should not complain about issues of political correctness -- because the politically correct gender speak is what is driving the widespread acceptance of the so-called singular they. Had I prefaced it a little better, it might have made more sense. Such as:

3. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surely his commentary is not that bad. It has gotten some good praise by John Piper and D.A. Carson. I went with Garland instead, but I found few critisms of Fee. I don't think I would throw it away :)

But he is a Pentecostal, you are definitely correct there. But charismatic believers come in all different levels of "fire" .

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are acting dense.

I clearly said that I disagreed with what that anonymous author had to say.

So don't give me that infantile "Even though it is true? bunkum.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has an old pedigree. It is not new. Expanded in the last 60 years --yes.
    Nonsense. That aspect of translational philosophy is just plain reasonable. Tyndale and Luther would have been in full accord.
    They both used modern, updated language. They put their translations in the common vernacular. There is nothing sinister or politically correct about that at all.
    Your two quotes were from two separate sources --both were not from the NIV team.
    You're just regurgitating the same old bovine excrement.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are unhinged.

The book is perfectly fine -- one of the best in the market on the subject.

If something is true who happens to have a different denominational affiliation than yours don't dismiss his words as if his position could not possibly be right. He is a Bible scholar and widely respected.

Mark Strauss is a fine scholar in his own right. Check him out on YouTube and see what I mean. Do yourself a favor and think things through before you make such mischaracterizations.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thackary was one of many writers who have used the singular they including Shakespeare himself. Your mission is futile.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already corrected you about Psalm 23.

Hebrews 2:6-8 refers to mankind --humanity --not Christ. Most scholars acknowledge the obvious.

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. I see you generally agree with the point I was making.

Here you mix two ideas, one of which I specifically said they were not -- sinister (I didn't use that specific word, but I said that they did not deliberately insert a feminist-transgender-queer ideology into the Bible). Politically correct is not sinister, but conforms to the idea that language which could offend (e.g., in matters of gender identity) should be eliminated. This idea can not be disassociated with the changes in the way we identify gender in our our common vernacular.

I think I gave five quotes from four different sources, so I am not certain of which two you are complaining. I assume that most understand that the Oxford English Dictionary source is unrelated to the NIV team.

The quote beginning "This generic use of the..." is found in the preface of NIV Bibles, above the name "The Committee on Bible Translation," 2010. These words can be found in NIV Bibles found online at Google Books, should anyone want to check. For examples:
    NIV, The Jesus Bible, eBook
    Complete Evangelical Parallel Bible-PR-KJV/NKJV/NIV/NLT
    NIV, The Chronological Study Bible

The quote beginning "Working with some of the world’s leading experts..." is from Updating the New International Version of the Bible: Notes from the Committee on Bible Translation, also printed above the name "The Committee on Bible Translation," 2010. Feel free to show these are not associated with the 2011 NIV.

Another quote was not from the NIV team as a team, but an individual -- Craig Blomberg, who was a member of the team. He joined the The Committee on Bible Translation in 2008.

Contra the field of dreams through which you wade, the Committee on Bible Translation was well aware that their decision on gender inclusive language was controversial because of the gender language wars, and therefore expended a good bit of energy to defend why they chose to wade into those waters (and walked back some of what was in the TNIV). Laying aside semantic blathering, the discussion boils down to whether or not one agrees with their decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, his main beef on the Niv 2011 as being at times more a commentary than a translation are true!

12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeshua1, here is a bit of information on the Gotquestion.org web site.
    So all the questions are ultimately the responsibility of S. Michael Houdmann, even though he does not write all the content. Just thought you might be interested.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MM must be in league with the feminist agenda.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and the unnamed author are dead wrong.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
    "Thus Paul proves that it is to MAN, not to angels, that God has subjected the 'world to come.' In Hebrews 2:6-8
    MAN is spoken of in general ('him'...'him'...'his'); then at Hebrews 2:9 first Jesus is introduced."

Pulpit Commentary
    "We say to man, for the eighth psalm, from which the citation comes. evidentally refers to man generally, not primarily or distinctively to the Messiah. Nor does it appear to have been ranked by the Jews among the Messianic psalms."

Kenneth Wuest
    "...the son of man spoken here is the human race."

NIV Commentary
    "In Heb. 2:8 a few commentators see 'him' as referring in this place to Christ, to whom alone all things are rightly subjected. But grammatically there is no reason for this. The passage is describing the place of mankind in God's order, and we do not come to Christ's place until v. 9."

MacArthur Study Bible
    "These quoted verses from Psalm 8 refer to mankind, not to the Messiah, who is not mentioned in the Hebrews passage until verse 9. In verses 6-8 we see God's planned destiny for mankind in general."

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can find more examples of ugly and horrible English like the one below by following the link above.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James White a wonderfully informative and edfying book eleven years ago called : Pulpit Crimes.

See some examples below in which he employes the singular they which is perfectly acceptable to everyone but the "particularly puristic pusillanimous pontificators."

"It dishonors God's Word and a wise elder would take such a person aside and explain to them that such activities are completely improper for the child of God." (p.97)

"If a person is not taught to live in this fashion then there is every reason to question whether they have actually encountered God's saving grace, or just a facsimile therof." (p.145)

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even though the stated purpose behind the 2011 revision was to get rid of those over masculine terminology, to haveit also appeal to females, as they desired to make sure the scriptures could align with both males/females now?

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have youy ever used their site, and what do you think on their response to the 2011 Niv?

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The above was all made possible by the Detroit Public School System.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.