1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The NKJV and it's pagan symbol

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by tinytim, Dec 15, 2003.

1. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Origiannly posted by BrianT:

There's no reason for any KJVO'er to be scared of unicorns. Why, the KJV mentions unicorns in Numbers 23:22 & 24:8, Job 39:9-10, and Psalms 29:6 & 92:10.

[​IMG]

2. ArcticBound

ArcticBound New Member

Oink oink! :D

WELL SAID!

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But it is faith built on some very short "leaps" of logic. Since people within 200 years of the originals quoted and copied many verses with great unanimity, it is not much of a stretch to say this is what the originals actually said.

There are some passages that God has left in doubt as to their exact wording when we look at the evidence. The ending of Mark for instance has no majority form nor is there a clear "earliest" form. I believe an ending very similar to that of the KJV was original... but that is a bit more of a "leap of faith" on my part.

4. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Oink oink! :D

WELL SAID!
    </font>[/QUOTE]Is this he only part of my posts you understand and can respond to? ;) Why are you ignoring everything else? :rolleyes:

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm sure that's what it looks like, but the reality is you're casting falsehoods, rumors, gossip, and devisiveness before brethren.

From reading the threads, it looks like many have done research, and made conclusions after your assertion. Still, you so far have yet to retract your blatant lie about the Roman Catholic Church. Hence, you're still proven to be a blatant liar.

Which is your right. You will, however, assert your hertical beliefs about the KJV upon others, which you have no moral right to do.
    You're shown evidence that the form of a triqueta have been used by pagan societies. Evidence has been ample to show that forms of it have also been used by Christian societies. You have shown no evidence that it is exclusively a pagan symbol.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AFTER you prove that any verse of the KJV was.

Of course I have faith that God has preserved and presented His word-AS HE CHOSE, regardless of how some men THOUGHT He should've done it. But when one continues to have faith in a doctrine that's CLEARLY been proven ENTIRELY INCORRECT, such as KJVO has been, where does faith end and hardness of heart begin?

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you know that the First Edition of the 1611 KJV had several pages of engavements of a myriad of symbols of the Church of Rome many of which had their roots in paganism?

For instance the symbol of the fish was originally the symbol of Dagon.

Titus 1:15
    Unto the pure all things are pure...

HankD

8. LarryN

LarryN New Member

9. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

Quote:

Under your logic of "separation" shouldn't we now completely drop all use and mention of the cross? We're now sharing it with a grotesque blasphemer who seems to have always had an affinity for black clothing and dark themes/humor/environment.

Of course this is a ridiculous proposition... but it is no more ridiculous than KJVO attempts to discredit the NKJV based on a superficial image that happens to mean something negative to some non-Christians.

S&T:

Madonna used the cross in a tainted fashion. Now since she has gotten into Hebrew mysticism she sports a tattoo of Yod / Hey / Vav / Hey [YHVH] on her shoulder as she writhes.Nothing new under the sun. The tau cross is surely a pagan symbol as is the ankh. The romans crucifeid Christ, so I guess that it would be fair to say that the cross was used by pagans, but as a torture device, not an object of "faith". The symbol on the NKJV was "created" by the druids / celts. That is the difference.

Quote:

I don't believe Spirit and Truth is King James Only...PLEASE CORRECT ME (SPIRIT AND TRUTH) IF YOU ARE KING JAMES ONLY!

S&T:

No I am not, but I get accused of that everytime somone can not answer my concerns with scholarship.

10. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

My favorite version no longer uses this so-called occultic symbol..When I first bought the superior NKJV(in my view) I read about the symbol in their preface and left it at that. Now, the later editions do not have it, and it hasn't changed my love for this version. The guilt by association argument doesn't float...if you believe in that argument then abandon your KJV's! The Puritans(some) rejected the AV1611 because of it's association with a wicked King!

11. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pearls, or mothballs?

I don't believe ANY Baptist would have a swastika in their home except as an historical relic or upon the cover of a book about nazis. And since a burning cross is a sign of contempt by white people for black people, no REAL Baptist would have one of those, or place one in anyone's yard. There are VERY well-known symbols, and I don't know of too many English-users worldwide who wouldn't know what they mean. But the triquetra is another matter. FEW people know what it is, or really care.

However, it's perfectly OK if you wanna apply 1 Corinthians 8 to the triquetra, but remember, YOUR beliefs or conscience doesn't apply to everyone else, and you CANNOT prove out-and-out that the triquetra is a totally-evil symbol. Also remember that the CROSS(not burning) has often been used as a pagan symbol.

12. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually there is biblical evidence that you are wrong on this. Hezekiah was forced to destroy the brass serpent of Moses that was put on a standard (quite likely a cross for hoisting banners) because the Jews were worshipping it.

Also, Ankh pre-dates the crucifixion so it was used by pagans as an object of faith before becoming a Christian symbol.
    Actually, the sources I found that said this acknowledged that this explanation was partly speculation and that this appears to be the source.

In any event, whether they employed good judgment with the use of the symbol or not is irrelevant with regard to the quality of the translation.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Interesting that you bring that up. Many Christians believe that the Ankh is a pagan symbol of Egyptian culture. Some attribute it to sexual immorality (which is intereting, because monogamy in Egyptian culture was extremely important to the Egyptians). While it was used for such purposes, its primary role in history has been part of the Egyptian hieroglyphic system. "Ankh" is the egyptian word which is translated "life". It corresponds to the Hebrew symbol "chai"*, which also means "life".

*"Chai" in Hebrew is comprised of the two letters "Het" and "Youd".

14. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Wow, not quite 50 posts on the board and you have already identified the group as "swine." Do you reserve your contempt exclusively for your fellow Believers, or do you apply it to everyone?
    :rolleyes:

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Artic Bound, forgive me for getting off topic here but you're heading to the mission field with such anger against those who do not believe exactly as you.... Does this make sense? How will you be able to witness and win the loss in the artic regions? [​IMG]

Okay... back to the original topic!

Diane

16. Spirit and Truth

John V stated:

"Ankh" is the egyptian word which is translated "life". It corresponds to the Hebrew symbol "chai"*, which also means "life".

S&T:

Sorry John, but I believe that you would be hard pressed to find many of Jewish heritage that agree with this. Remember pharoah...let my people go...400 years of slavery? Many Hebrew slaves died under that symbol ....no "life" there.
    Pharoah's "faith" was comprised of symbols which are popular in our society such as the ankh, the scarab beetle, the obelisk, the eye of horus, pyramids, etc. The eye of horus [modified version] can be found on the back of U.S. currency [how appropriate for mammon].Oh, and some popular bible mss also came out of the Alexandrian area, where ebionites [those who denied the deity of Christ] were from as well.

Scott J stated:

Actually there is biblical evidence that you are wrong on this. Hezekiah was forced to destroy the brass serpent of Moses that was put on a standard (quite likely a cross for hoisting banners) because the Jews were worshipping it.

S&T:

No offense Scott, but the term "quite likely" does not constitute Biblical proof.

17. Walls

Walls New Member

No I was referring to my brother, who is by no means a saved person. He is heavy into new age rock and like I stated, named his dog Wicca.

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the photographic reproduction of the first page of the First Edition of the 1611 King James Bible up at the top to the left is a sunburst with a face within it : an ancient SYMBOL of MITHRAS the sun god!

So much for symbols in/on Bibles.

HankD

19. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I looked at some NKJVs not that long ago. The symbol is not on the newly printed ones. In fact, I have a Thomas Nelson NKJV and the symbol is not there - not on the cover or anywhere inside.

Anyway, the symbol has nothing to do with the text of the NKJV - just as the cover of the first KJV has nothing to do with the text.

20. Spirit and Truth

TC stated:

I looked at some NKJVs not that long ago. The symbol is not on the newly printed ones. In fact, I have a Thomas Nelson NKJV and the symbol is not there - not on the cover or anywhere inside.

S&T:

I am happy to hear that the publishers took the complaint to heart and modified the cover. Now, if the translator of the message would modify those phrases that are reflective of occultic practice like he did with the 'guess" name Yahweh that appeared in the 1994 version, we could call it a day. [​IMG]