1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Old-time Alter Call

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by music4Him, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is just a method in our modern tradition to ask for a response to the offer of the gospel. Some people don't commit unless asked to give a "yes or no" answer.

2. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

I once heard someone criticize a pastor for not having an altar call at every service. I agree that there is no Biblical requirement to have one. OTOH, if in certain circumstances it is thought to be of effective use, I have nothing against it so long as it's not looked upon as some sort of magic formula for salvation.

Having one in every service, I think, is not effective or wise.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

And some falsely commit due to "pressure tactics."

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

In other words, too often "altar" calls don't "alter" anything ;) .

5. Broadus

Broadus Member

Hey Music4Him,

It's good to be "thinking through the issue."

I think that the term "altar call" has been traditionally used for people to come forward at the invitation in order to be saved or recommit their lives. My problem with that, based on my experience, is that the practice has become a Protestant "sacrament," something which is done to procure God's grace. Of course, there are preachers who use psychological manipulation to get these visible "results," leaving many confused and making multiple trips to "decide for Christ."

For the whole congregation to engage in prayer is, obviously, a good thing. I wouldn't use the term "altar call" for that, though, and neither would I have them come forward. I would have them pray where they are seated.

Concerning the making of a public profession before men, Baptists have typically seen that in believer's baptism. Of course, it also points to our day-by-day interaction with unbelievers.

FWIW, I wrote about a 2 1/2 page response to the pastor search committee of the church (SBC) where I am now the pastor concerning my not giving an altar call or public invitation at the end of the worship service. I will be glad to PM that to anyone who wants it.

Blessings,
    Bill

6. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Broadus
    --------------------------------------------------
    I think that the term "altar call" has been traditionally used for people to come forward at the invitation in order to be saved or recommit their lives.
    --------------------------------------------------

Like I said the preacher who gave the "altar call" was not just for salvation, but for any thing the people in the congragation might want to go to the altar/prayer bench and pray.
    I assume that the pracher knelt down beside the man who went to pray and prayed right along with him. (I don't know for sure if thats what the preacher did for I was sittng in the back, also he asked that every eye be shut and every head bowed ....the only reason I knew it was that certian man getting up is because he was in the seat across the isle from us and my ears was working alright in the back pew [​IMG] ).

Music4Him

7. music4Him

music4Him New Member

BTW, the preacher didn't call it the "altar call". But he not only included the invitation for salvation but for other prayer needs too. I called it because growing up thats what thay called it.

BTW, I thought it was nice to see a preacher who wasn't too full of himself or in too much of a hurry to go chow down at (Non-descript eatery place) and to care enough for his people to say... Hey, I'm here for you and I got time, I'll pray with you and for you. Thats all~ [​IMG]

Music4Him

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would have reckoned - being a South African and of Calvinistic persuasion - "alter-call" would have meant a preacher's ("Dominee") calling to be a 'Pastor' of God's sheep. I never could think it would mean people coerced to array a preacher's statistics!

9. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Gerhard Ebersoehn????
    Do you have the engilsh version of that in laymans terms?

10. Broadus

Broadus Member

I would have reckoned - being a South African and of Calvinistic persuasion - "alter-call" would have meant a preacher's ("Dominee") calling to be a 'Pastor' of God's sheep. I never could think it would mean people coerced to array a preacher's statistics! </font>[/QUOTE]Greetings Gerhard,

Unfortunately, the "altar call," often misspelled as "alter," is too often used "to array a preacher's statistics." It creates a great deal of confusion in the minds of many persons, often being equated with "getting right with God." I fear that many think they are partakers of God's grace because they responded emotionally to the impassioned plea to respond to the "invitation" or "altar call" following the sermon, when actually they know little of the holiness of God, the righteousness of Christ, and justification by faith.

This seems peculiarly an American phenomenon, existing outside our shores, too, where it's been exported, unfortunately. Iain Murry, in his Revival and Revivalism published by Banner of Truth, has done a wonderful historical treatment of it.

Blessings,
    Bill

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Murry's book is simply superb. Eye opening and revealing.

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have attended not a few sermons in my life where the preacher gives the driest and most life-less sermon then has the audacity to call on those 'pricked in the heart to come forward'. Thanks but no thanks!
    The preacher should be awarded with the invisible workings of the Holy Spirit upon the hearts of his listeners. He should make a call, but for each one listening a matter between himself and his Lord. It's not for the pastor to brag with ... so many hundreds, thousands, came forward and gave their hearts to Jesus ... humbug!

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, for me being outside your shores this expression would have meant to be called to preach the Gospel - Spurgeon I think would have understood it that way.

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Anyone knows what it feels like to stay sitting down while everybody else has moved up to 'altar'?

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Yup, at a meeting many years ago my wife and I were the ONLY ones within about 5 rows who did not move. The preacher reported that he spoke at a Christian college and 3000 students responded to the "invitation." His message was weak, but emotionally charged. His invitation was pressure and scare tactics. "If you don't walk this aisle and are not 100% sure that you are 100% right with God I fear for you tonight. I don't want to read that so and so students were run over and killed by a drunk driver as they left the church service. Don't take that chance, come to the front and deal with whatever it is that the Holy Spirit has talked to you about."

16. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Carefull here!

There are many testimonies of people that have been powerfully set free after responding to an Altar Call!

If it changed the life of just one person the whole year in a church it would be well worth it. :cool:

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

No problem with that Ben, but I do know that too often altar calls can do as much harm as good. The mindset can be "Well, I walked the aisle so it is fine now."

Lest everyone think I am too harsh on this, I do see the positive side as well. I "walked the aisle" the last time I was in the States in response to a message where the Lord really dealt with my heart. I could have done just as well in my pew, but "going forward" kind of earmarked the event.

18. The Undiscovered Country

Often during a church meeting there will be things brought that people need make a response-and this could happen into worship as much as the preaching. However this must very much depend upon the content of what has been brought and the leading of the Holy Spirit. To say that an 'altar call' must happen each and every week is to reduce it to a ritual. Indeed that problem is reflected in the use of the phrase 'altar call' which sugests a fixed event rather then people responding to God in the way most appropaite at a given time.

19. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Well now that the altar/alter call topic has taken on a new direction...Has anyone ever thought that the people who continuosly come up during an altar/alter call might need some extra discipling? Does the church hand out some materials to the newly saved person and take a phone number and address down to mentor/counsel them? Does the preacher (or decons) check on them (calling the newly saved person or visit them weekly?) Does the preacher pick up on the fact that something that might be wrong when seeing the same person up front. Or does the preacher once agian... the next Sunday... meet the same feller saying the same thing? [​IMG]

20. The Undiscovered Country

Yes they should do any and all of these things and yes, if people keep coming forward for the same issues and it goes uncommmented on, that is a real issue. Discipleship is an undeveloped issue in all too many evangelical churches. God's call is not simply to see people saved. It is to make disciples who become mature members of the Kingdom of God and disciple others.