1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The One Percent:

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Oct 27, 2011.

1. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Poncho, your efforts to stereotype everyone else but yourself is your main problem. You are just as deep in the box as those you rail against. Doesn't solve any problems to find a demon under every rock, nor does it help to cast a vote "against" one of the two primary political parties, for a vote against is as good as a vote for, depending on how the vote is split.

I guess that you are actually a run of the mill libertarian, and probably just love Ron Paul. Or is it worse than that?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was that part of the answer about complaining about politicians?

Let me ask the question this way. Are you going to run for public office? If not, why not?

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

People don't vote for unemployed conspiracy theorists that live in their parent's basement.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

Waiting for someone to explain

Why should the top1% (or 5%) want or need a large middle class? They already own and control most of everything worth owning. If I was them I would put us in our place so that we KNOW we are the new industrial serfs.

The only purpose of a robust fiat money economy is to speed the transfer of hard assets from the working class serfs to our owners and the job is almost done. There is NO logical reason for the 1% to want the US economy to recover.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what exactly, pray tell, do you think our government has been doing over the last 2 years with all its work to increase our dependence on government "help"?!?

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I was being polite when I answered your questions about me the last time Salty. I gave you honest frank answers. You know I did.

I started this thread to discuss the OWS protests. Not me or you.

If you'd rather have a discussion about me why not just start another thread?

Maybe you could title it "people like Poncho" or something.

#26 poncho, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
  7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My advice to the OWS is to do what the TEA party did - run for public office...

However, the American way is to complain about others.
    The next time you get into a discussion with someone who is complaining, simply ask them, if you were in office what would you do?

8. billwald

billwald New Member

Running for public office is the opiate of the people.

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I'll answer that question Salty.

If I were in office I would honor my oath to protect and defend the constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic!

Now here's my question to you. How many of those who have been "voted" into office today can honestly say they honor and uphold their oath?

BTW the "tea party" was co opted early on by the corporate backed big government all war all the time everywhere neocons. So there will be no difference made by this bunch of posers at all even if they are "voted" into office. Look at Bachmann said she was all about defending the constitution and civil liberties and all that jazz then voted to extend the constitution busting patriot act(s).

There's a word for people like her. Traitor.

I often wonder how you would have advised the founding fathers. What advice would have given them Salty?

The American way used to be do what's right and good or so we believed now it's do what ever the government and media tells ya . . . without complaining. Because the new American way is "anything goes, the end justifies the means". So shut yer trap and and be a good citizen. Look the other way when our "leaders" act above the law. You all convinced me of that when ya decided that doing away with due process was a "good thing" and justified the torture and imprisonment of other human beings, without evidence or charges.

A 180 degree turn away from what the American way used to be. But we shouldn't complain about it though right Salty? We should just "vote" for another banker controlled globalist posing as an American politician and be happy we done our part.

In other words be good little sheople. Isn't that about right?

#30 poncho, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2011
  10. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Oh it's much worse than that. I actually believe in due process and upholding the law of the land (those laws that are in line with the U.S. constitution) and defending the U.S. constitution itself.

I reckon that makes me about the polar opposite of you then. How could it be any worse than that? :smilewinkgrin:

It all depends on whether you think the USA should rule itself through a republican form of government or be ruled by an unelected international elite using any anti democratic means at their disposal to become our rulers. I'm thinking that as long as you are still allowed to "vote" for the internationalist of your choice you'll keep right on believing we are an independent nation of "free" people.

Nevermind that nothing could be further from the truth.

#31 poncho, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2011
  11. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The way I see it (at least from this side of the Pond:smilewinkgrin:):

1. The banks got themselves into difficulty in the last decade by gambling with other people's money and by lending to those who could not afford to repay (granted, those borrowers also have some responsibility, but the bankers should have known better).

2. When the banking system fell off the inevitable cliff in 2007-8, taxpayers' (our) money was used to pay for their mistakes and most of the banks were at least part-nationalised.

3. Despite the massive corporate welfare represented by #2, most of the bailed-out banks continued and in some cases continue to perform badly.

4. Despite the taxpayer-funded bailout of #2, banks now refuse and continue to refuse to lend - both to individual...er...taxpayers and to businesses owned by...er...taxpayers.

5. Despite #1 to #4 above, bankers continue to trouser obscene levels of bonuses.

It's against that kind of background that the Tobin Tax (which won't work unfortunately) has been proposed and that also explains the - rightful IMO - anger of the 'Occupy' protests.

12. mandym

mandym New Member

This is exactly correct with the exception that the banks were forced to lend this money to them by our government. It is the law.

13. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Really??! We don't have that kind of law over here (wish we did with the nationalised ones at least!).

14. mandym

mandym New Member

Considering the law created this mess I would avoid it.

15. targus

targus New Member

The banks should not have been bailed out.

Both parties to any bad loans should have suffered the consequences of their decisions.

If the banks had not been bailed out the dust would probably be well settled on this issue by now.

The strong banks would still be in the lending business and the poorly managed banks would have gone through bankruptcy.

The bad mortgages would have been identified by now and the investor market would have bought them at their real value.

16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Targus, were the banks not forced, by law, to make these loans? Does that not place the responsibility on the idiot government that forced this on the banks?

17. Matt Black

Site Supporter

And which administration passed this law?

18. targus

targus New Member

If both the lenders and the people borrowing had stuck with making and accepting true statements then the problem would have been much smaller.

Overstated property values and overstated incomes are largely responsible for the bad loans.