1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

the orange order

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by soninme, Oct 21, 2007.

1. soninme

soninme New Member

Im not sure many of the people here will know much of this organization , but many claim they are religious bigots and murderers , here is a brief outline of this organisation , and its role .

The Orange Order - as it presently exists - more correctly the Loyal Orange Institution of Ireland, came into existence after the Battle of the Diamond, near Loughgall, on 21st September 1795. This 'Battle' was instigated by a Roman Catholic revolutionary brotherhood known as the 'defenders' who were part of the 'ethnic cleansing' programme of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, when the attempt was to remove the Protestant witness from the Island of Ireland. Memories of the massacre of Protestants in France on Saint Bartholomew's Day, 1572 and of another massacre in Ireland in 1641 still weighed heavily on Protestant minds.

The purpose of the Orange Order was to bring together the 'Protestants' of various denominations - Episcopalian - Presbyterian - Independents - Huguenots - Quakers - into one homogenous grouping to maintain their Protestant religion and way of life and as a distinctive affirmation that they intended to hold fast to the FREEDOM of religion won at such a high cost at the Reformation.

The Orange Institution became an INTERNATIONAL Organisation as the benefits of a religious and fraternal organisation became obvious. Military Warrants were issued from the earliest years of the Institution and this may have added to the growth of Orangeism as serving soldiers carried their culture and identity throughout the Empire. Orangeism spread to Montreal in 1818, Australia in 1845, Togo in 1915 and Ghana in 1928.

The Orange Order is fundamentally a CHRISTIAN organisation, as the BASIS of the Institution states:- "The Institution is composed of Protestants, united and resolved to the utmost of their power to support and defend the ..... the Protestant Religion."

The Institution stands in the reformed tradition as the various statements contained in the 'Qualifications' illustrate:- . LOVE FOR GOD - "a sincere love and veneration for his Heavenly Father". "He should never take the name of God in vain". . FAITH IN CHRIST - "steadfast faith in Jesus Christ, the Saviour of mankind". . AUTHORITY OF SCRIPTURE - "he should honour and diligently study the Holy Scriptures and make them the rule of his faith and practice". . RESPECT FOR SUNDAY - "he should remember to keep holy the Sabbath day, and attend the public worship of God"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so , are these men defenders of the faith or religious bigots .......?

#1 soninme, Oct 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2007
  2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Both...it depends on your perspective and churchmanship, doesn't it? It also strikes me as being quasi-Masonic in nature.

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Interesting the way that the 4th commandment memorial of creation gets spun around to Sunday. I think that was the common view for both Protestants and Catholics at one time.

4. soninme

soninme New Member

orange order

very few replies to this thread , but as i said , i dont think many brothers and sisters here understand what this organization stands for in northern ireland and scotland , many protestants join for safety as they fear from the wrath of catholic organizations such as the (IRA) IRISH REPUBLICAN ARMY , this is mainly in the the north of ireland . there is also a big irish connection with the west of scotland , so many protestant scotsmen sympathise with there irish brothers , and as i said they all believe they stand for the protestant faith and think they strive to rid the uk and ireland of false catholic teachings .
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just thought i would add that .:thumbs:

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Seems odd to me that Christians would resort to murder and terrorism to accomplish gospel goals. RCC dark ages or Protestant/RCC modern ages -- seems like the same problem to me.

6. soninme

soninme New Member

i see your point my friend , but maybe if you understood a little more of the history behind what is going on , and spoke with the countless mothers and fathers who have lost sons and daughters through this , you would be a little more understanding . thanks for your reply anyway . :thumbs:

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No question that tempers flair in a conflict -- but I don't think you can argue that they are "defending the gospel" in doing so nor even "promoting the Gospel".

What if both North and South Ireland embraced separation of church and state to the point that anybody can worship according to their own conscience without "the state" being either Catholic or Protestant "as a government"?

in Christ,

Bob

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

That is already the case.

It oversimplifies the matter to say this is a Catholic v Protestant struggle, although that does play into it.

This is also a political struggle. Many Irish feel that all 32 counties of Ireland should be united into one country. Many Northern Irish, including the Orange Order, with UK connexions prefer for 6 counties of Northern Ireland to remain part of the UK.

#8 NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2007
  9. soninme

soninme New Member

bob , if you had read correctly what i said , i at no time defend what these people do , on both sides of the divide .

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

IMHO the Orange Order is a dinosaur. It, along with some the Republican orders, has slowed down the peace movement in the North. Their relevance is only in their own minds.

At the end of the day even the Orange Order could not get in the way of working together then the people of the North were faced with the prospect of water charges :).

#10 NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2007
  11. soninme

soninme New Member

i totaly agree with you my friend , its time all the nonsense was put to bed , these people are in a no win situation and i believe that the majority in the north are sick and tired of the troubles , let us pray that this ancient feud and the DINOSAURS , that aim to continue it , come to there senses .:thumbs:

12. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Ok, I think I am best positioned to give my take on the Orange Order. Matt Black was right when he pointed out the Order has Masonic qualities. I don't know a single Protestant who joined the Order because he feared for his safety. The Orange Order is not a paramilitary organisation, although members of it may belong to paramilitary groupings. The Order itself does not engage in acts of terrorism. The Order does have Christian people in it. In my view they are unequally yoked with those who are unsaved within it, but then again most of these Christians belong to churches which do not require a regenerate membership any way. There are some very decent people in the Order (probably the bulk of them), but quite a few shady characters also. Is it a dinosaur? Perhaps. It does play a very imprtant role in rural areas of Northern Ireland. The Orange Halls are used for community gatherings of various sorts. Even the Orange marches, most of which are uncontentious, are largely family gatherings where grand father, fathers and sons enjoy a sandwich or two, and a little chat. Nowadays the Orange fields tend to be more carnival like with various stalls and kiddie rides. I think the Order knows it has an image problem. This year they tried to be more "user friendly" with "Orangefest" celebrations which dramatised the history of Ulster, with floats and men dressed in period costume. Although I have never been an Orangeman I hope the tradition develops as envisaged and continues for many a year, so that my countrymen may proudly sing, "The Sash My Father Wore", without being maligned by the press, manipulated by politicians and murdered by bigots posing as freedom fighters.

13. soninme

soninme New Member

hi ulsterman , i was a member of the orange order when i was younger , and yes there are many decent people within the organization , and yes there are few who are born again ( but who are we to say they arent ) . "As a youth " i spent many a happy night at functios at our local orange halls , but as you said the shady characters have blemished the image , and i to hope that the decent brothers and sisters among the order will continue to proudly sing , " T he Sash My Father Wore" for many a long year to come .:thumbs:

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Being a Boer ('Afrikaner') I sort of get a feeling for what the 'Oranges' stand for. When we were a young nation the Prince of Orange - in the Netherlands - was quite a hero. Today maybe ten out of a million will know about him, and like myself, won't know more about him than I have just said.

But may I use the opportunity to invite BobRayn and the rest of you, for a discussion on thread, "Why the Sunday-keeping Church thinks of Sunday as the Sabbath?" See you there, God willing!

15. soninme

soninme New Member

prince william of orange was and is a heroe to many , and i can see why , but its the politics behind it now that blemish it sadly .:thumbs:

16. soninme

soninme New Member

the orange order does have a charitabe side though showing the love of christ .

The Orange Order treats charity as an important part of its mandate. Its charitable ventures include:

The Grand Orange Lodge of British America Benefit Fund

Better known as "Orange Insurance" was founded in 1881 and established for the purpose of assisting lodge members, their spouses and independent children in time of need. Due to financial constraints in 1926, control was turned over to the Grand Lodge of Canada. Orange Insurance continues to provide benefits to the Orange Association in Canada.

Ladies Orange Benevolent Association

Founded in 1894 to provide women with an opportunity to actively support Orange Principles and the exercise of benevolent activities

Orange Home at Indian Head

The home operates under the auspices of The Orange Benevolent Society in the Province of Saskatchewan(Canada) and was founded in 1923 operating as an orphanage for members and non-members children

Adelaide Hospital Society

The Orange lodges of Dublin and Wicklow are affiliated to the Adelaide Hospital Society. The Republic's last remaining Protestant-run hospital (the Adelaide) has since merged with others into a new hospital in Dublin

Grand Master's Charity Appeal

£124,000 was raised for Cancer Research Northern Ireland in 2004

As well as this, private lodges routinely collect for charity. In 2007 lodges in Portadown aim to raise money for alcohol and drugs awareness by staging a fun run entitled the "Orange Olympics".
    :godisgood:

17. soninme

soninme New Member

Would , luther , calvin, and knox have been members or supporters of the orange order , i wonder ........??????

18. soninme

soninme New Member

orange order

here are some of the things an orange man should strive to be and do .

articles forum gallery guestbook news contact Qualifications Of An Orangeman
    Qualifications of an Orangeman according to the Grand Lodge of Ireland

An Orangeman should have a sincere love and veneration for his Heavenly Father;

A humble and steadfast faith in Jesus Christ, the Saviour of mankind, believing in Him as the only Mediator between God and man.

He should cultivate truth and justice, brotherly kindness and charity, devotion and piety, concord and unity, and obedience to the laws;

His deportment should be gentle and compassionate, kind and courteous;

He should seek a society of the virtuous, and avoid that of the evil;

He should honour and diligently study the Holy Scriptures, and make them the rule of his faith and practice;

He should love, uphold, and defend the Protestant religion, and sincerely desire and endeavour to propagate its doctrines and precepts;

He should strenuously oppose the fatal errors and doctrines of the Church of Rome, and scrupulously avoid countenancing (by his presence or otherwise) any act of ceremony of Popish worship;

He should by all lawful means, resist the ascendancy of that Church, its encroachments, and the extension of its power, ever abstaining from all uncharitable words, actions or sentiments, towards his Roman Catholic brethren;

He should remember to keep holy the Sabbath day, and attend the public worship of God, and diligently train up his offspring, and all under his control, in the fear of God, and in the Protestant faith;

He should never take the name of God in vain, but abstain from all cursing and profane language, and use every opportunity of discouraging these, and all other sinful practices, in others; his conduct should be guided by wisdom and prudence, and marked by honesty, temperance, and sobriety;

The glory of God and the welfare of man, the honour of his Sovereign, and the good of his country, should be the motive of his actions.

19. soninme

soninme New Member

orange order

funny how a subject , that aint in the usa seems to draw liitle , maybe you guys should open your eyes and have a little look ......?:applause:

20. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Well, the Irish Protestants (Border Scots, Ulster Scots) who settled here were quite some ways back. They didn't bring with them an organization called Order of the Orange, and it never really took hold here. Though as you pointed out, it was prevalent in Canada for many years. Nowadays, when Americans think of Irish immigrants, they usually have in mind the millions of Catholics who arrived later and settled mostly in the Northeast. So I guess we don't comment on the Orangemen much because we know so little of them. Which is sort of a shame, since certain parts of our country are still very much Scots-Irish, both in attitude and in bloodlines.