1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The "Other" News Story the Weekend of the Moon Landing, July 20, 1969

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Jul 19, 2019.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Men landed on the moon 50 years ago this weekend. July 20, 1969, is a date that will be forever remembered.

I was an eleven year old kid when I watched the moon landing with my parents. My mom passed away last January and my sister and I have been cleaning up the house in order to sell it. I found a box of old newspapers my mom had kept. She had the paper that covered the moon landing. I read through it, not just for the articles but also looking at the advertisements. Particularly interesting were the grocery prices.

Anyway, while looking through the newspaper I I saw this article. I corrected the white balance in Photoshop to get rid of the yellow tint of the aged paper, but this is the article as it appeared in the Minneapolis paper. (click on it to fully enlarge, you should be able to read it.):

Ted-Kennedy-Charged-072169.jpg

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, who knew the two events were so close?? I didn't.

3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't either. I was mildly shocked when I saw the article as I was leafing through the paper. Interesting the police chief stated he was "firmly convinced there was no negligence involved." Well, how did the car get into the water upside down? Careful driving? It seems like the police chief figured he HAD to charge Kennedy with something so let's make it leaving the scene of an accident.

One thing I noticed in the ads--no area codes. I think one area code covered the entire Twin Cities and surrounding area back then. Now there are three area codes in the metro area.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Twitter Universe is excoriating the Associated Press for this tweet. It reads as if Kennedy's car drove itself off the road and that Mary Jo Kopechne "drowned" (no autopsy was performed) instead of suffocating after exhausting the air bubble trapped in the car.

Nor is there any mention of the fact that Kennedy did not report the accident to police until at least 9 hours later.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL