1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The passion of the Christ

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I think I will have to destroy my dvd.
    Did you know that Gibson made this movie and it wasn't based on the bible but based on the writing of a catholic nun which had demonic visions?
    This means that the Jesus in this movie is not the real Jesus. This is very creepy, isn't it? The movie wasn't nice anyway. I once watched it 1 time because nobody wants to see this more than once. It's not a nice movie which you enjoy watching.
    I also read that Caviezel prayed to his saints while shooting this movie and he was also hit by a lightning while hanging on the cross.... also not a very good sign if you ask me.
    I also remember that the actor who played Barabas was not a christian and during the shoot when he saw "Jesus" (Caviezel) for the first time during the scene where Jesus is standing in front of the crowd and they decide to let Barabas go and then Jesus turns to Barabas and looks at him it was as if something struck him when he saw Caviezel and this made him convert.
    I think after knowing all these things I cannot keep this dvd anymore. :confused:

2. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

It was never the real Jesus, it was Jim Caviezel the whole time. Gibson did base his movie on scripture...and he quoted scripture a great deal. Some details were based on mystic visions of a catholic nun. Do I think these visions are (pardon the pun) "gospel?" No, but nothing in the movie was against scripture.

I know nothing of this, but I will say that Jim Caviezel's portrayal of Christ has played a role in many people coming to Christ. Regardless of the situation behind the movie, God has used this movie to His glory....He's good about doing that with our feeble efforts, sometimes.

Mel Gibson and his cast and crew produced a fine piece of cinematography. It is an affecting portrayal of the crucifixion which focuses on the suffering of Christ. That's it. Anything else that might be attributed to this movie: reaching the lost, for example, is the work of the Holy Spirit, not Mel Gibson.

If we were to review every instance where the Holy Spirit worked in our lives to convict us, from that first time being convicted of our sin forward, and looked for fault in the humans involved, we would be in sorry shape.

I know at our church, a sinful pastor preaches every sunday and pleads for the lost to come to Christ. I hope the focus is on Christ. I know that anyone resonding and coming to Him, are a result of Christ...and not the sinful preacher.

I am curious, though, about your current situation. XD, in another post, you were worried about a bible version, citing a ten year old reference. Now, you are concerned about something that happened a few years ago...Good information is always good, but where is this all coming from?

3. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I am afraid it's coming from the lack of good Bible study.

Jamie

4. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

I have to say that I have read stuff bad about the Passion of the Christ movie as well, and at first thought it was not good.

But then I came to view it much in the same way as I view Christmas. You know, how people talk about the pagan connotations of Christmas with the Tree and the Santa and all of that...

the bottom line I think, is that during Christmas time, many people are led to THINK about the subject of Jesus Christ being born and start asking questions, etc... whereas normally they wouldnt. God can then lead them into all Truth, through His Holy Spirit.

Jn:16:13: Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth

Luke 9:
    49: And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.
    50: And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

For instance, probably everyone here believes their own church has the correct doctrines, right? Well you need to realize that many of the people at your own church started out hearing the Gospel and then going to a different church first... before coming to yours.

Claudia

#4 Claudia_T, Dec 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2006
  5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Source with link please?

6. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

There were a number of things in this movie that were opposed to scripture. The most basic of which is this...

"Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?" - 1 Corinthians 11:14

7. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For me, the movie was a reminder of the price Jesus paid for my sins. Was it absolutely accurate, according to Scripture - probably not (and that has nothing to do with the legnth of his hair!). It does demonstrate to me what Christ was willing to do on my behalf. It also demonstrated to me that I am not worthy of His sacrifice.

8. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

You know, thats one thing I never could understand... how the Bible says nature itself teaches us that men shouldnt have long hair. HOW does nature do that if everyone, men and women's hair just grows long till we cut it?

Claudia

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Actually it is mixed. However this is old news. I am not going to say if you need to destroy your dvd or not, that is up to you. Personally, for me, it was just a movie. Nothing more. I enjoyed it when I first viewed it at the movie theator however when I watched it on dvd I thought it dwelled too long on some scenes. That creates a sort of "get on with it" feeling.

==It is the Roman Catholic Jesus. Is that the Jesus of the Bible, of history, of the Apostles? I don't think so. I think your observation here is very wise (ok, don't let that go to your head...:smilewinkgrin: ).

==When I heard that bit of news I thought the same thing.

==I have recently become concerned about another Christian movie "The Visitation". While I loved the book (great book!) and while the movie is good (not as good as the book) I have also learned that one of its stars has a questionable past. Edward Furnlong (of T2 fame) stars as the evil false prophet Brandon Nichols in the Namesake Entertainment film. Problem? Furlong is known for his use of narcotics, he has stared in some questionable films, and is an active member of PETA (who was once arrested for trying to free some lobsters in a grocery story-source). While I don't believe everyone who is in a Christian film needs to be a Christian, I do believe that getting people with clean reputations is prefered. Now maybe he has cleaned his act up? I don't know. However it certainly raises some questions. Just like the choice of gay activist Chad Allen to star in the movie "End of the Spear" raised serious questions. However the fact that Furlong is playing a demon controled false prophet might make his being in the movie less of a problem (ie...he is not being passed off as a saint).

#9 Martin, Dec 23, 2006
  10. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Apparently, there are those who do not find the hair thing to be obvious so a couple other things not found in the Bible (but consistent with Emerich's book)...

• Jesus being thrown from a bridge
    • Peter going to Mary after denying Christ
    • Mary above Jesus' jail cell
    • Satan talking to Jesus in the garden
    • Judas being tormented by those posessed children
    • The extra stations of the cross
    • All of the mariolotrous scenes including Jesus being lowered into the arms of Mary
    • That gal who gives a clothe to Jesus to wipe his face
    • The cross levitating

The Passion was a Roman Catholic movie, written, directed and financed by a Roman Catholic who received the bulk of his inspiration from a mystic nun with actresses that seem to have difficulty keeping their clothes on. This movie should have been and should be loudly rebuked and Christians should avoid putting this wickedness before their eyes.

"Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners."- 1 Corinthians 15:33

11. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

This is what someone wrote about it that I have in my files...but I personally have never seen the movie. You could leave out the parts about "Sunday" when you read it, but this was written by an SDA... no naturally he would say that. Still for other Protestants, he does have some good points to consider here:

The Passion, by Mel Gibson, is gripping the hearts of many people. In putting the program together, Gibson was indebted to a Jesuit priest and two Catholic nuns. These women were mystics, who both received visions from a visitor by the name of `Mary'. Their names were Anna Catherine Emmerich and Mary of Agreda. This information alone is startling. The Jesuit Order has one goal; destroy the Protestant Reformation at any cost and they bend every energy to that end. To think that this Jesuit priest engaged in this project to aid the cause of Protestantism and Christ is not realistic in light of their track record. It would be more logical to think that this priest would use the most precious of all events, the crucifixion of Christ, and twist it to further their aim of destroying Christ and Protestantism.

The two Catholic nuns were both visited by `Mary'. The Bible declares that `the dead know not anything, (Eccl. 9:5) and that `neither have they anymore a portion forever in any thing that is done under the sun." (Eccl. 9:6) The Bible also declares that "there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest." (Eccl. 9:10) Since Mary died in the first century and doesn't know anything, who then is this, visitor that appeared to these two Catholic nuns? If it isn't Mary, then it must be someone masquerading as her and that can only be demon spirits. The Bible very clearly warns us in Revelation 16:13 that "I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the false prophet." These three voices; the voice of the beast-papacy, the false prophet-Apostate Protestantism, and the voice of the dragon-the devil or Spiritualism, which is holding communion with DEMON SPIRITS, will be used to gather all the world into one body in opposition to God

Therefore, Mel Gibson used the Gospels and the writings of women who held communion with demon spirits. Do we expect that good will come out of this union, mixing the sacred.and the profane? The very first time this was tried was in the Garden, of Eden. The serpent mixed God's word with his words and what was the result? This world has been an awful place ever since Eve chose to mix the holy Word of God with the deceptions of the devil. The results of Mel Gibson's `The Passion' will be the same.
    While it is being said that the crucifixion is the central focus, something else continues to be set forth by the creators of this film as also a main focus. Notice their own words. "For years, my best friends were actually evangelicals, many in the business and many in professionals ways. I love them. I think they really know the Book. They know the book better than Catholics, actually. I've been amazed at the way I would say the evangelical audience has-hands down- responded to this film more than any other Christian group. For me the amazing thing is that the film is so Marian. But I think the way the film displays her has been kind of an eye opener for evangelicals who don't usually look at that aspect." According to Mel Gibson, the movie is very Marian. What does he mean by this?

A great focus of the film is Mary, the mother of Christ. Since the gospels only mention Mary at the cross, then where did Gibson get the idea to make Mary a key focus in the movie? This obviously came from the two demon-led mystics who were shown by the demon `Mary' that she had a central role in the crucifixion. What is the point? The goal is to make the people who view the movie to become very attached to Mary so that when the demon `Mary' appears and tells people to get back to Sunday, the world will be in sympathy with her and embrace her false message and accept the mark of the beast! Spiritualism, or communion with the spirits or demons of the dead will be the glue that unites Apostate Protestants, nominal Adventists, and the papacy together, and 'The Passion' is one vehicle to do just thatl

Listen to another quote; this one is from the composer of the movie's lyrics, John Debney, "I became blocked while trying to score an appropriate theme for Mary-a problem, since much of the film is seen through her eyes. Finally, I just prayed to Mary, out of desperation, and she answered with a lullaby that just appeared in my head complete with lyrics. When we first put the music to the scene, both Mel and I were crying. He asked me where it came from, and I told him, from her. What an incredible gift." So, the music that centered around Mary came to the composer from Mary. Since Mary is dead and knows nothing, then who inspired the music? A demon from hell!!!

Finally, a quote from the man who played Jesus in the film, one James Caviezel "Mel Gibson and I were going to mass every day. Everyday everyone could see me with the rosary in my hands. I ask Mary to guide me and my career. This film is something that I believe was made by Mary for her Son." Their is no question in the mind of Mr. Caviezel as to whose spirit guided this whole movie; 'made by Mary for her Son.' The impress of the 'demon' Mary was felt by many and was a key focus of this film.

Mel Gibson's film was heavily influenced by the two nuns, Anna Catherine Emmerich and Mary of Agreda. These women gave Gibson insights he never would have considered. Gibson declared, "The Holy Ghost was working through me on this film, and I was just directing traffic. I hope the film has the power to evangelize."

There is no doubt that there was a spirit working through Gibson as he made the film. Due to the heavy influence of these mystic nuns who held communion with demons, I believe the film was not inspired by the Holy Spirit, but rather by an unholy spirit. There is no doubt that that movie will evangelize. As stated before, this movie, with the influence of demon spirits, will be used as part of the devil's glue -spiritualism- to bring the world together to hear the voice of departed spirits in embracing Sunday worship. May we take heed 'that no man deceive you."

#11 Claudia_T, Dec 23, 2006
  12. Joe

Joe New Member

I saw no spirituality or love, just graphic bloody gore. :tear:
    Christian Movie Review- Plugged In

Bloody violence is vivid, detailed and prolonged. It is excruciating to watch, in part because Gibson isn't shy about showing the physical abuse much the way it is described in Scripture, but also because it happened not to a man, not to a revered historical figure, but to our Lord and Savior. For Christians, it's personal. Those who have chosen to follow Christ will experience a bizarre emotional paradox while viewing the brutality. Each blow to the face, lash with the whip and nail through his flesh is simultaneously repellent and indisputable testimony of divine love.

Specifically, scenes show soldiers striking and spitting at Jesus. They press a crown of thorns onto his head, drawing blood—lots of it. Guards relish the punishment they're dishing out, and the camera lingers interminably as what begins as a mean-spirited caning leads to an inhumane whipping that tears the flesh from Christ's face and body. He is literally shredded, then is dragged across the floor through crimson pools of his own blood.

Jesus is knocked over a wall where he dangles by his iron shackles. Nails are driven through his flesh and into the cross (blood drips through the wood). Viewers will wince when the beam is dropped into its hole. Soldiers break the legs of crucified thieves and thrust a spear into Jesus' side (blood and water spew out).

Judas' inner torment is palpable. He takes a rope from a putrefying animal carcass and uses it to hang himself (he is shown dangling from a tree).

Despite these words, you will find positive reviews at the website. I found it to be the sickest movie I have seen in years. My mistake not looking at the rating, though it changes. I saw the "cut" version, less violence. I can only imagine what the other version was like.
    This re-inforces how I do not want our family desensitized by TV violence or sex. Our TV remains without an antenna, only playing movies thoroughly reviewed by myself or wife prior.

13. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

And Jesus did this for me. Some of us don't like to think about what Jesus did on the cross. It is real. It happened. It wasn't pretty.

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

There are too many to post! Just type in "Mel Gibson Emmerich visions" in Google or something to that effect, and dozens of links will come up. The way I found out was one of the many TV documentaries that aired when "The Passion" was coming out. One was an interview of Gibson in which he talked about how he was inspired by the visions of this nun, Anne Emmrich. I do not believe for one second her visons came from God.

Here is just one source. If you read about Emmerich's visions, you will be amazed at how many of them were put in the movie.

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I realize that many Christians saw this movie and said they were reminded of how Christ suffered for them, but we should be able to get that from the Bible itself. For whatever reason, God chose not to give us details more than what He did about Jesus' scourging and crucifixion.

I think it's up to individual believers as to whether to see this movie or not, but the reasons I chose not to see it are:
    1. I did not want to see the visions of the nun as part of the story about Jesus since I believe these not to be from God
    2. I don't like someone else's idea of what happened to be in my head when I read the Bible
    3. I did not want the images from the movie in my head
    4. I don't like adding things not in scripture to the story of Jesus, especially so many things that this movie added

I saw one clip recently from "The Passion." The scene was Jesus in the Garden and it showed the Satan figure taunting Him, and then Jesus squashing a serpent. Very powerful imagery, but it's not the Bible. I don't want to think about these images when I read the account of Jesus in the Garden.

Also, people who don't know the Bible can see this movie and think these things are in the Bible.

16. Joe

Joe New Member

Glad you got something positive out of it. I saw nothing pretty or uplifting about it

#16 Joe, Dec 23, 2006
  17. donnA

donnA Active Member

Ah, and don't forget Veronica, she wiped Jesus' face and His face was on her cloth ( a RCC tradition, and not biblical)

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

There are a lot of sources on the interent for his inspiratin for the movie. I read Emerich's writtings when the movie came out ( a web site just about her), the woman was delerious having visions, and yep, there it was exactly like the movie,

19. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Ahh yes...I couldn't remember her name but she was who I was referring to as "that gal"...thank you ma'am.

20. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

extrabiblical material is not necessarily opposed to scripture...just means its not in scripture. I saw nothing in the Passion, that according to scripture could not have happened, although there were many details that were not found in scripture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.