1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Play, Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by SaggyWoman, May 10, 2004.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Anyone seen it? What did you think?

2. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A classic Broadway musical from when things were still done in good taste. Very wholesome. See this site for a description of the original production:

OKLAHOMA THE MUSICAL

Although most Christians at the time the show came out probably thought it and all other musicals and plays were evil. Funny how the simple fact of time passing makes some things OK in the eyes of some Christians. That goes for "popular" music too.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I ain't seen the play, but the movie version has been on television, ain't it? I seem to remember watching a few minutes thereof, and it was too stupid to continue watching.

4. Karen

Karen Active Member

DiscoveryLand near Tulsa is an outdoor amphitheater that presents live performances of "Oklahoma!" all summer long. They are preceded by some type of chuckwagon dinner if you wish.

I have traveled some, and at a NUMBER of places have had people break into song :rolleyes: when I say I'm from OK. So it occurred to me last year that my kids had never seen the movie. I made them sit down and watch the Rodgers and Hammerstein version with Shirley Jones.
    Catchy music, especially the title song. :D

But it IS rather a strange plot. Actually the plot really only serves in the version above to tie the songs together.
    One son and I (he tends to be very linear in his thinking ;) ) got into a lengthy discussion after he watched it. He said why in the world was it a supposed to be a great movie when it was encouraging suicide? I said, "Pore Jud is daid" was merely an example of Southern humor.

When we were visiting the UK, a town drama group near York was performing "Oklahoma!" I'm sorry we didn't get to hear it performed with northern English accents! LOL.

Karen

5. Gayla

Gayla New Member

I've seen High School production of the play, and seen the movie lots of times.
    I really like it!!

Baptistteacher was in the play when he was in high school.

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

It is coming to Charlotte in May 2005. Happy birthday to me.