1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The point of intoxication

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SoulWinningLady, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoulWinningLady

SoulWinningLady New Member

Ok, I have started another thread. I would like to know, at what point does one consider themselves to be intoxicated. To futher expand on this, should we as Christians declare its OK to be a little intoxicated, but not alot? Is your lightheadedness the first sign of intoxication? Does that count, why or why not?

inebriate
    INE'BRIATE, v.t. L. inebrio, inebriatus; in and ebrio, to intoxicate; ebrius, soaked, drenched, drunken. The Latin ebrius is contracted from ebrigus or ebregus, as appears from the Spanish embriagar, to intoxicate, embriago, inebriated; Gr. to water or irrigate. See Rain.
    1. To make drunk; to intoxicate.
    2. To disorder the senses; to stupefy, or to make furious or frantic; to produce effects like those of liquor, which are various in different constitutions.

What would you or others who consume alchol consider to be a "disorder" of the senses? Where do you cross the line?

2. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Ro 14:21 [It is] good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor [any thing] whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

3. His Blood Spoke My Name

It is funny, not one person who advocates the drinking of alcohol will answer your question, SWL.

That alone speaks volumes.

4. SoulWinningLady

I agree REX, I just wish that the other folks who believe its ok to drink wine would just tell me where they draw the line.

5. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

You cross the line with the first drink--the Word of God teaches total abstinence:

Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise. (Proverbs 20:1)

Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. (Proverbs 23:31)

It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink: (Proverbs 31:4)

Alcohol damages every organ in your body--and all this can happen without a person even becoming drunk. That's the deception.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Count me in with the wine-bibbers if you must; I may have one or two glasses of wine around Christmas. :rolleyes:

If lightheadedness is sinful then not eatting would be considered a sin...
    ...low blood pressure would be sinful.
    ....diabetes would be a trip to hades.

No, lightheadedness after drinking is a sign that you've had enough and should stop.

Like having a full stomach is a sign you should stop eatting and not necessarily a sign that you are a glutton.

Cardiologists recommend wine for its health benefits

Rob

#6 Deacon, Aug 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2006
  7. His Blood Spoke My Name

Satan tricks the cardiologists into thinking wine is beneficial.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I don't totally discount your arguement, but you surely can't be serious with this statement. You choose to drink, you don't choose diabetes or low blood pressure.

9. Pete

Pete New Member

About 5 hours before the time you call the taxi to go home is when you've had too much..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. UberSmith

UberSmith New Member

Yet.....More Whine of a different colour....

According to your BB profile you are not a Baptist. This is a Baptist Only section of the BB. Please restrict your posts to the BB sections that are open to All Christian Denominations in the future.

Your in Christ,

Bible-Boy,
    Forum Moderator

#10 UberSmith, Aug 26, 2006
  11. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but that magic number of drinks depends on a great many factors.

For example, I know in my life that I have a problem with moderation. I can have a couple of drinks and will definitly want more. When I drink, I want that buzzed feeling. Knowing this, I know I should not drink. I also know that even one drink, for me, is rebellion. I do not know this about my brothers and sisters.

The effects of alcohol vary greatly from person to person. Some do not feel lightheaded...only sleepy. Some know their limit and have a firm grasp on moderation. Who am I to tell them more than the Holy Spirit?

As for cardiologists, I wonder if Satan also decieved Paul when he advised Timothy to drink a little wine for your health sake? As for that matter, am I decieved when I take Nyquill (sp?) for a cold?

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Print this out and give to the cop that pulls you over for weaving on the highway. Tell them the Cardiologists made you do it!

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

You absolutely can not compare the effects of diseases with drinking alcohol. Thats totally ridiculous, and an attempt to rationalize bad behavior.

14. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

It it takes 10 beers to make you drunk and you only drink one beer - are you 1/10 drunk?

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

#15 saturneptune, Aug 26, 2006
  16. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely wrong. Christ fulfilled the law, as any theologian knows, meaning you simply must have a foundation in the OT to explain the NT. And furthermore, if you think the book of Proverbs is not valid for today, I pity you, for you are missing some wonderful guidance from the Word of God.

No offense, but this is an absolutly ridiculous statement. A Lutheran calling Fundamental Baptists Neo-Gnostic? (Not that I would call a Bible-believing Lutheran a Neo-Gnostic.) It is to laugh! Sounds all nice and intellectual, but it doesn't hold semantic or doctrinal water.

Which brings up something else. Look closely. This part of the Baptist Board is for Baptists. Sorry! Sayonara! :wavey:

17. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had a lady in my church in Yokohama who would pass out after drinking one beer. What was medicine for Timothy at that time of history was poison for this Japanese lady. As with many other medicines, alcohol is either poison or medicine--depending on the situation.

18. SoulWinningLady

Why are you so negitive about this? WHat is with your additude? I come her nicely to ask questions and here you are just making little comments about how I don't enjoy life. Nice display of a christian additude!
    First of all, I am not "baiting" anyone. I just wanted to know what point do those who are for moderation do they consider themselves intoxicated.
    I am going past all of those loose comments about how we should not judge and that its ok to drink in moderation and I am asking a VERY detailed question. I think my questions is valid for those who say they drink in moderation.
    I wanted to know from you specifically what does that lightheadedness mean to you? Is that the start of intoxication and that is the reason you stop there? its an honest question.
    I think we all KNOW that what takes one person to feel intoxicated is differant for others. DUH! Just wanted to let you know I can;t be disappointed about something I already knew.
    Why do you think I don't enjoy life because I don't drink? What is life all about the wine now? Is that what you are saying? Come on man. Life is PURE JOY when you are in God's will. My life is full of joy. My cup runneth over. The differance is, I would rather be filled with the Holy Spirit and have a continual joy than to fill a cup up with wine to feel just moments of joy.
    Thanks
    :wavey:

19. SoulWinningLady

:laugh: :tongue3:

You too funny!!!!
    That is a good one!:wavey:

20. whatever

whatever New Member

Hi John,

No one is arguing that this lady ought to drink. The question is, or ought to be, whether it is appropriate for one Christian to judge another in questions of drink. I do not drink. In over four decades I have had exactly one sip of wine, and I didn't like it, and I didn't swallow. OK, I did swallow, but besides Nyquil that is all I have ever had. I do not drink, and I have no desire to drink. However, if I were to have a glass of wine or a beer it would not necessarily be a sin. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

#20 whatever, Aug 26, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.