1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Pope begins a Bible reading Marathon

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Gold Dragon, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would say Catholicism and Protestantism are both right about many things and both wrong about many things.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Perhaps. I won't testify to Protestantism at large, but historically, in the main, the reformers were right on authority and soteriology and the Catholics were wrong. And those are two big issues. To this day, the Catholic church has not repented of their false teaching on these matters. They have not changed what they believe.And that is serious.

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would have to agree with you there. Wow, we've come a long way since one of the first debates I had on this forum which was with you over Catholicism. :thumbs:

I believe the Catholic church has repented and changed of a lot of problems it has had since around the time of the reformation. However you are correct that on the issues of soteriology and authority they still fall short of the mark.

4. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What Christianyouth said, more or less, AFAIC

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

All Christians have always believed this. But Rome has never taught this.

6. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I beg to differ - Augustine of Hippo? Anselm of Bec? (Plus the old saying about the Lutheran Reformation being about Augustine's theology of salvation versus his theology of the Church.)

7. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Pastor Larry, as I understand most Protestant theology, it says that perservering is an evidence of our salvation, not the cause of our salvation. Polycarp and others actually believed, and warned others, that if they did A, they would be damned. It was a warning, not saying, "If you do A you were never saved to begin with" but, "If you do A, you will be damned".

So there is most definitely a difference in how a lot of Christians have viewed salvation. They hailed it as by grace alone, but they also saw the danger of apostasy, both from turning from the teachings of Christ to trust in a false Gospel, and also apostasy in the form of leaving the path of righteousness to trudge on the path of unrighteousness. This doesn't mean they were right on this issue, but it means that we have to broaden our views of orthodoxy enough to allow Christians from after Clement to before Luther to be considered saved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.