1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Practice of and Backsliding

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by rockytopva, Jul 31, 2019.

1. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was brought up Baptist and thought as a teenager that they were the only group going to heaven. I thought speaking in tongues was of the devil and that all Catholics were going to hell. I spent a summer here in southwest Virginia and would work the restaurant of the morning, hayfield in the afternoon, and go to the revival at night at the Pentecostal Holiness church. It was a wonderful spiritual experience accompanied with a Walton type fellowship and love.

Back in those days we used to have a preacher who was a Methodist preacher who preached at a Baptist church and who would conduct revivals with whoever would have him. People used to ask him how was it that a Methodist preacher could pastor a Baptist church. His reply was that the way he saw it the only difference between the Baptist and Methodist was that the Baptist did not believe in baptism but the Methodist practiced it, and everyone would laugh. As someone brought up Baptist that would give me cause to think and to ponder. I have also heard that Billy Sunday’s worship leader, Homer Rodeheaver, would say that his instrument was a "Methodist trombone" that would occasionally "backslide."

2. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Pentecostal Holiness revival was good until about 2005, and now there is little left of it. In study I can trace the revival to...

1. Non-Conformist - John Bunyan type open air preaching.
    2. Methodist- John Wesley type open air preaching.
    3. United Methodist - Francis Asbury camp meetings
    4. Holiness - Of the late 1800’s
    5. Pentecostal Holiness- Lasted about a decade

I can see what has transpired scripturally as....

Thyatira - The Catholic Church.- The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate
    Sardis - Denominational Protestant - A Sardis is a gem, elegant yet hard shelled
    Philadelphia- What I traced as revival
    Laodicea - Rich and increased with goods and have need of nothing?

And the message to the Philadelphians....

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name. - Revelation 3:12

“No more go out” - Which is a terrible dis-advantage to this church... They are in and out of revival, or practiced backsliders. Which is aggravating. The advantage of being John Calvin Sardisean is that if you can convince them of OSAS, the doctrine will keep folks around.

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Comes to mind: ". . . But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul. . . ." -- Hebrews 10:39. Causes me to think those who are actually saved do not back slide.

• Like Like x 1