1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Pre-Tribulational Rapture

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Darrell C, May 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Campion

Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Really? You made this claim earlier...

To demonstrate the Catholic Church added books, you need to provide a list of 66 books by ANYONE in Christian history prior to the Reformation.

Can you do that?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for correcting me.

I should have stated all the writings that now make up the 66 books of the Bible were collected and disseminated to churches by the end of the first century. That is the only scripture we have.

I need only to show what the first century church considered to be authoritative scripture. This is made clear by the tens of thousands of ancient Kone Greek manuscripts that came from Constantinople and other areas conquered by the Muslims.

When Catholic priests learned to read the Kone Greek, they realized Jerome made many errors translating into Latin intentionally or through ignorance of the Greek.

The books added to the Catholic Church canon at the Council of Trent were clearly an attempt to lend authority to unbiblical doctrines not found in the original teaching of Jesus and His disciples including Pope as Vicar of Christ, purgatory, perpetual virginity of Mary the mother of Jesus, plenary indulgences and many others.

peace to you

3. Campion

Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You have yet to provide a Church using a 66-book canon. I'm still waiting.

The Council of Trent accepted the books of previous councils (i.e. Florence). Therefore, how could they have added books when there merely restated what prior councils accepted?

"Following, then, the examples of the orthodox Fathers, it receives and venerates with a feeling of piety and reverence all the books both of the Old and New Testaments..." - Council of Trent, Session IV, Decree Concerning the Canonical Scriptures, 1546

Trent did not make up a canon out of thin air. Rather, the Council "receives and venerates...all the books..."

Do you know what it means to receive something? It means to be given something. It requires an origin apart from one's self. What Trent did was dogmatize the canonical books because the Reformers were removing books.

Once again the Catholic Church has always had the same 73-book canon, declared at Carthage and Rome, affirmed by Damasus, Innocent, Galasius, the Fathers at Florence, then declared dogmatically at Trent when the Protestants began removing books from the canon, and affirmed yet again at Vatican I.

I will ask again: Can you provide ANY Church in all of Christian history using a 66-book canon?

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The answer is yes but do you really think that is an equal comparison? You cant just deal with the one passage?

5. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already shown my proof via the tens of thousands of Kone Greek manuscripts brought from the East. These existed far early than the Vulgate, some fragments date to the end of the first century and were diligently copied and avoided the corruption of non-biblical Catholic Church doctrine that came much later.

Prior to Trent many of your current 73 books were considered non-scripture apocryphal books.

Please show 1 Catholic Church that existed in the first century and any that included 73 books in its canon.

I won’t be waiting because I know you will never hold yourself to the same standard you are attempting to hold me.

peace to you

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.