1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"The Prophecy of Israel"

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by church mouse guy, May 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have already been given the scripture.

“Now the promises were made to Abraham and his Seed. He does not say, “and to seeds,” meaning many, but “and to your Seed,” meaning one, who is Christ.” (Galatians 3:16) (MEV)

“If you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.” (Galatians 3:29) (MEV)

Don't you believe it?

2. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus did not abolish the Old Covenant/Testament. He fulfilled it.[Matthew 5:17]

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No debate about that. The debate is that you believe the eternal promise of the nation of Israel's being for Jews was revoked by Jesus. Yet Jesus has allowed the nation of Israel as a Jewish state to be re-established in May 14, 1948, in spite of European disapproval. Needless to say the Israeli military is better than any European military.

4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe what you say that it means. Abraham was the father of many nations but the promises in this case were only to the Jews. You are saying that Jesus revoked God's OT promises to the Jews concerning the Jewish state of Israel; I disagree with you. Israel became an independent nation 70 years ago in spite of European opposition.

5. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The TEN Commandments ARE the Old Covenant the New Covenant replaced them.

In Exodus 34:28 we read: “And He (God) wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.”

Deuteronomy 4:13: “And He declared unto you His covenant, which He commanded you to perform, even the Ten Commandments.”

Deuteronomy 9:9: “When I was gone up into the mount to receive the tables of stone, even the tables of the covenant.”

Deuteronomy 9:15: “So I turned and came down from the mount . . . and the two tables of the covenant were in my two hands.”

And so on...................

And Jeremiah and Hebrews say Christ replaced the Old Covenant with the New.

““Indeed, a time is coming,” says the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah. It will not be like the old covenant that I made with their ancestors when I delivered them from Egypt. For they violated that covenant, even though I was like a faithful husband to them,” says the Lord. “But I will make a new covenant with the whole nation of Israel after I plant them back in the land,” says the Lord. “I will put my law within them and write it on their hearts and minds. I will be their God and they will be my people.” (Jeremiah 31:31–33) (NET)

“For if that first covenant had been faultless, no one would have looked for a second one. But showing its fault, God says to them, “Look, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will complete a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah. “It will not be like the covenant that I made with their fathers, on the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they did not continue in my covenant and I had no regard for them, says the Lord. “For this is the covenant that I will establish with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and I will inscribe them on their hearts. And I will be their God and they will be my people. “And there will be no need at all for each one to teach his countryman or each one to teach his brother saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ since they will all know me, from the least to the greatest. “For I will be merciful toward their evil deeds, and their sins I will remember no longer.” When he speaks of a new covenant, he makes the first obsolete. Now what is growing obsolete and aging is about to disappear.” (Hebrews 8:7–13) (NET)

So, Jesus fulfilled the Ten Commandments on the cross by fulfilling the Two Great Commandments. Remember the Ten HUNG from the Two.

“Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.” (Matthew 22:37–40) (KJV 1900)

You could never fulfill the two by fulfilling the Ten. If so, salvation would have been by Law and not grace. But you always fulfill the Ten if you fulfill the two. It's about motive. The Two = love for God and man. The Ten = doing good things reluctantly with a corrupt motive.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, we can not even keep those two. We do not love the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. We do not love our neighbors as ourselves. Sometimes we fail to do these...horribly fail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    These were Abraham's covenant seed via circumcision. Later abolished on the cross. But the biblical seed were always believers including Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and believers of all time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus fulfilled them for us. This is your righteousness, not through keeping the Ten Commandments whom God addressed for wicked unbelievers. Even Al Capone could "not steal or murder" if there were something in it for him.

9. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not biblically. God removed them from Israel and the promises when he broke them off and replaced them with believing gentiles.

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.