1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The question is not will we hide but will we obey?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by thjplgvp, Jan 13, 2016.

1. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

In my bible study this morning a couple of thoughts came to my mind. What are your thoughts?

Luke 11:33 No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light.
    Luke 11:34 The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness.

In this passage the Lord Jesus points out the obvious that no one would light a candle to give light and then hide that light. The context I believe is based on verse 32 where we read.

Luke 11:32 The men of Nineve shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

The complete thought that God did not send Jesus as the light of eternal life to man and then hide Christ so his light would not shine.

The second thought I receive from the text is this, that God did not save us and place us in this world for us to hide our reflection of his eternal life. Therefore the question is not are we hiding God’s light the question is are we disobeying God by refusing to do what he saved us to do, to be a witness of his light in a dark world?

thjplgvp

• Like Like x 1