1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The quickening

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rlee, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Talk about going round the bend. Now the advocates of the nameless doctrine say there is no need for preaching, unless a person accepts the bogus doctrine of "initial quickening". OTOH, scripture says the gospel is the power of God for salvation. When a person hears and understands, they are drawn to Christ. Therefore, scripture teaches we are to present the gospel to the whole world.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since it is a fiction not found in scripture, the advocates debate the concept without any reference to scripture.

3. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

o

I look at it differently. The gospel is first brought to the outer ear and there the process of worldly sorrow begins to occur due to the natural convicting power of the Word. However, when it is God's time to quicken us, he takes the word that has already been delivered, already has begun its process of condemnation and then quickens us.

Significantly, worldly sorrow causes conviction unto self-condemnation and death. However godly sorrow worketh salvation in that quickening is unto justification. So the Word begins a process of painful conviction that condemns and can turn into depression, but godly sorrow (repentance unto faith) turns the direction upward from the downward spiral toward depression and death to justification and hope.

These testimonies of six months or even years of miserable conviction I believe is worldly sorrow taking its natural course in it downward spiral. Qucikening changes the direction upward immediately through faith in the "good" news and "hope" found in the gospel

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All sinners can hear, but unless they are quicken by the Spirit, it falls upon deaf ears!

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another denial of scripture. Matthew 13 teaches that 3 of the four soils can hear and respond, but one soil cannot understand. The "quicken by the Spirit" is used because it has a double meaning. When we are made alive, when God puts us in Christ spiritually, we are made alive (quickened) by the Spirit. But that is not what the advocate of false theology means, no the "secret" meaning, never found in scripture, is that unless a sinner is altered by "irresistible grace" they cannot seek God or trust in Christ.
    But that whole hidden meaning is false, and no where to be found in scripture. So they use doublespeak.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both Jesus and paul spoke to this, and they agreed with me and not you, were they both wrong?

7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With respect, I think the urgent searching of the awakened soul cannot really be described as 'worldly sorrow.'

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both Jesus and Paul agree with my view, and they were not wrong. Notice the absence of any reference to scripture to support this claimed agreement with falsehood?

In Matthew 13,Jesus teaches that 3 of the four soils can hear and respond, but one soil cannot understand. The "quicken by the Spirit" is used because it has a double meaning. When we are made alive, when God puts us in Christ spiritually, we are made alive (quickened) by the Spirit. But that is not what the advocate of false theology means, no the "secret" meaning, never found in scripture, is that unless a sinner is altered by "irresistible grace" they cannot seek God or trust in Christ.
    But that whole hidden meaning is false, and no where to be found in scripture. So they use doublespeak.

9. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A disturbed soul is a soul under conviction. A quickened soul is spiritually alive in Christ but outside of Christ there is no spiritual life at all. The new birth is the spirit of man being united with the Spirit of God. I guess we will have to respectfully agree to disagree.

10. Rlee

Rlee Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my initial post, I am primarily referencing the moment(s) where God was opening the blinded eye and causing me/us to see the need for Christ. Is it not possible to see that perhaps as a step to being made alive where we were once dead? Is it not a point at which we suddenly understand that He is reaching down to us and our mortal bodies respond with the proverbial "light coming on"? I certainly didn't intend for it to sound like an appeal to come to Christ, but rather the actual coming to or perhaps better said, arriving at Christ. The point at which the Father's calling us to the Son becomes real and takes hold. In my personal opinion, this is a paramount moment in the life of a believer because without it, what would we have to fall back on when recounting our individual memories of salvation? No one is born into the faith through their family, it isn't given to them by physical inheritance, nor is it assumed simply because one attends a local body. Does anyone really just wake up one day and say to themselves "I think I'll go down to church today and get saved." Yes they do! I've had it said to my face and yet without that calling of the Father, without the ability to see the need for the Savior and repentance in the heart, it's all done in folly. Again, Ephesians 2 spells it out and I don't believe I have contradicted that.

11. Rlee

Rlee Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why don't we start over. Let's forget everything anyone has said following my first post and let me ask you, what would you have entitled this thread?

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus stated that ONLY those whom the father draw unto Him will get saved, and that ONLY those whom the Spirit enables to receive Him shall!

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the "Conviction" matches your opening post, rather than quickening, which means something else entirely.

BTW, I looked over Ephesians 2 and found no support for your premise. The chapter teaches us that we started out not in Christ, separate from Christ, in darkness as the rest of mankind. But, through faith, made us alive together with Christ. So the chapter is dealing with what happens after we put our faith in Christ, and your premise deals with our conviction Christ is our God and our Savior.

NET Bible Hebrews 11:1
    Now faith is being sure of what we hope for, being convinced of what we do not see.

#33 Van, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another false claim, scripture never, never, ever says "only those the Spirit enables to receive Him shall get saved." In fact ;the opposite is taught, we all start out with the ability to receive and accept the gospel, but then some of us are hardened (1 soil of Matthew 13 and those God hardens, Romans 11). In Matthew 13, Jesus teaches in parables so that people will not understand and get saved. In Romans 11 God hardens the hearts of unbelieving Jews, which would not be needed if they had no innate ability to hear and learn from the gospel.

#34 Van, Jul 25, 2017
  15. Rlee

Rlee Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose what I was trying to convey is that conviction always precedes salvation, does it not? Yes, conviction is probably a better label, but that conviction was followed by salvation. Perhaps I was combining the two terms without giving it enough thought. Basically, it was the experience or maybe the "journey" to salvation that began with conviction and ended with being saved. I'm curious. Would you say the preaching of or the presenting of the gospel causes conviction, or is it one's own ability to comprehend the gospel?

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the unsaved sinner cannot receive the Gospel, nor any other spiritual thing apart from the person of the Holy Spirit enabling him to do such, as per Paul!

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another false claim, with no scripture to support it. Matthew 13 teaches of 3 types of people (soils 2, 3 and 4) that can receive the gospel. A lost person cannot receive spiritual meat, because indwelling is required to understand spiritual meat, but can receive spiritual milk, the fundamentals of the gospel, 1 Corinthians 2:14-3:3. That is why Paul spoke to those no ready for spiritual meat using spiritual milk, as he would to men of flesh (unsaved.)

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, being convicted that we were wretched sinners always precedes salvation (God crediting our faith as righteousness and transferring us out of the realm of darkness into the kingdom of His Son. While the gospel is the power of God for salvation, all scripture can be used to convict us. That is why scripture says the Law acts as a guide to lead us to Christ. And we cannot leave out the role of the Holy Spirit in our conviction. But no where in scripture to we find that the Holy Spirit compels pre-selected individuals to believe, that view is a fiction.

As far as our individual ability, Matthew 13 teaches that some people, the first soil, no longer have the ability to understand the gospel, but OTOH teaches that all the rest do have that ability. But without the message (such as the Spirit inspired gospel of Christ) no one would be convicted.

2 Timothy 3:15-17 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

#38 Van, Jul 25, 2017
  19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spiritual milk and meat , as defined by paul, ONLY refers to saved persons, as those still lost receive not any spiritual things of God!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really do mot understand what is meant in those references!