1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Real Mark Driscoll

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

OP's like this are nothing less than slander and deserve to be closed. They provide NOTHING of spiritual value and do not bring glory to God.

Hmm, come to think of it that probably is true of 90% of the posts on this board.

Back to my corner...

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You never said a truer word brother:thumbs:

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK I don't like his present style.
    This passage came to mind:

Isaiah 6:5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.​

Granted these words are used in the word of God, but did they carry the offensiveness then as they do today?​

How do we know whether they were not nuanced as our modern non-offensive words such as feces and urine?​

Evidently there was offensive language as Isaiah indicates.​

Personally I don't like it.​

OK, maybe it is an area of self-righteousness for me.​

Nontheless when I was first saved my foul tongue was one of the many things for which I was convicted (and I was in the military when I was saved).​

HankD​

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly. It was not audible words but they didn't come from me! I was in mourning. I was praying and asking God if we'd have more children because if I knew we were done, I'd be content but I didn't want to be on the merry-go-round of emotions of getting pregnant and losing a child. Then that's when I heard. My husband heard the same word around the same time and came to me and we discussed it. We both heard the same message and so quit the doctors. :)

Now I have to get back to those "lies". They are distracted in their schoolwork!

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just so it's understood, the censored language is straight from Driscoll's "discipleship" of men.

His lewdness is NOT a thing of the past.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you mean to say is that you "felt" like God "told" you these things. No, I don't believe God "spoke" to you in the manner meant by Driscoll. You are employing a much broader definition.

But even if He did, it's unauthoritive and unedifying to the congregation, and you should probably keep it to yourself. The release to rest from one's own labors and put a matter into God's hands is where the power is manifest.

But back to Driscoll. The Scriptural "call" is a desire for the office, and the scriptural criterion by which a body of believers is to discern one's worthiness is his character. Anything else is unscriptural.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aaron, I agree with you about this man but there is one area in which God "speaks" and I believe its OK to publicly ackowledge it.

When He answers prayer.
    Many times I have publicly praised God for answering prayer.
    Wouldn't you agree with that circumstance?

HankD

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course. I am talking about so-called "prophecies" and the charismatic notion of verbal interaction with God whether audibly or in one's head. If the "prophecy" is scriptural, it's needless. If it isn't, it's false.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed.

HankD

10. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

LOL

I still don't care for him because of some of his tactics, but this was really funny.

11. mandym

mandym New Member

I do not know much about him. I have heard one of his sermons he preached at Southwestern. It was very good and biblically sound. I have heard he repented of his foul mouth. Unless he has been preaching complete heresy or has lived a life not above reproach I would be careful of heavy judgments. No preacher has been perfect in all of his life or ministry. If he was still foul mouthed I would say he needs to step down. Outside of that he may not be your cup of tea but be careful of yourself and move on.

12. PeterM

PeterM Member

His use of bad language is old news... 10 years or better. It's a done deal as he doesn't do it any more. Why is this still an issue for some? I guess some folks started perfect in the planning, preparation, and presentation of messages and don't need to grow.

yawn...