1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The reason I don't read the Bible that much.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Guido, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last night, I was reading the “KJV Only Controversy” by James White, but found myself unable to register every word I was reading.

Today, I was reading on my phone the KJV Bible, this time with a better concentration, and after trying for some time to comprehend the meaning of a passage that is in Galatians, I gave up. But then, after reading not only Romans 1, but the earlier part of the chapter after as well, I began once again to be in agreement with Zane Hodge's Commentary on Romans, which, according to what I think it says, is that the book deals primarily with deliverance from wrath, that is, temporal judgment.

#21 Guido, Aug 19, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  2. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ones I listed are trustworthy translations, which was the point of your post #17.

3. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zane is not a trustworthy source. There are much better choices out there. You can go to your local library or get an inter-library loan. I'd suggest a book by Robert L. Reymond called "Missionary Paul Theologian." Chapter six is devoted to Galatians. It's 23 pages long.

4. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That book almost destroyed my faith in any perfect Bible (certainly no work of God that), and the theology in it is astoundingly confused on simple things like confusing hell and the lake of fire. The best answer you got was from @Scarlett O. in the beginning.
    God bless you.

5. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have before me pages 179 and 180 of White's book. What are you confused about? The place of final punishment is hell. It is also called the lake of fire and Gehenna.

6. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no such thing as a perfect Bible translation. Faithful, trustworthy and similar adjectives can be used but not the word 'perfect.'

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not read anything by Zane. What was the doctrinal problem you noted?

8. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For now, I will keep studying the KJV Bible, particularly Romans, while I read "The KJV Only Controversy".

9. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read it cover to cover (KJV) every year for many years now. Some passages are hard to understand unless you are equipped with several translations and commentaries. But I'm far happier doing so than when I skip out.

“And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.” Luke 4:4 (KJV 1900)

10. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Book, chapter, verse; please.

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJV team never claimed such form the Kjv, why do the KJVO?

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do not gave any error free perfect translation!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    they are not as much as those I listed are though!

14. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's just due to your lack of examination skills.

15. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will kindly notice that I said "Bible translation." There are errors in all of them. Most English translations are rather good and are quite faithful to the autographs. But all are in need of improvement.

By the way, what edition of the KJV do you prefer? There are a number you know. For instance, if you think the 1611 (and they all aren't identical) is stacked up against subsequent editions in the 410 years since then ---which one or ones do you think are 100% perfect? Are some Bible translations in English that came out before 1611 just 5% or 10% off of perfection?

Are there any perfect translations in any other languages? If so, what are they? And how do you know?

16. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    I kindly noticed that. Please notice that I'm asking for any verse that warns us that copies and translations cannot be perfect. Please also notice that I'm saying nothing about the KJB, just any translation generally, any Bible generally. What verse warns me not to believe in any perfect Bible?

17. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you please respond to my questions in post #35?

18. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, when you please respond to the one I asked first in post #30: Book, chapter, verse.

19. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no verse in any English Bible translation that gives such a warning. And on the basis you will make what assumption?

20. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I can appreciate that honest reply. It was like pulling teeth for others on this board.

Now, you then asked:

I reckon the assumption was on your end. Consider the exchange:

You made the statement:

I asked:

You candidly replied:

Thus your statement, by your own noble admission, was not based on a Bible verse; i.e. an assumption.

Now, since you answered my question, I will answer yours:

I will admit to you what I've often admitted on this board: I have no Bible verse that tells me that the KJB specifically, is inspired or perfect, nor any verse that would tell me only the KJB is such a perfect Bible.
    Therefore, "no", I cannot prove that the KJB is the only prefect Bible based on a verse.
    Certainly I have prayed, and wrestled, and studied the issue, but this I confess unto thee: it is ultimately a matter of faith to me regarding the perfection of the KJB.

That being said, KJB-specificity aside, the word of God is clear (when unclouded by the so called scholarship of humanistic textual criticism which has infected the minds of Christian teachers) that copies of the word of God and translations of the word of God, can indeed be given by inspiration and can be perfect. See references in #2 in my signature and their context.
    The issue is not so much the KJB as it is the very doctrine of inspiration and its outworking: that's where we differ.
    I suppose you would wish to debate those references, but that we can do some other day, Lord willing.