1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The responsibility of the church

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by SaggyWoman, May 13, 2001.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Are colleges in their teaching the Bible assuming the responsibility of the church??

2. DocCas

DocCas New Member

Not if the College or Seminary is under the authority of a local church. [​IMG]

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about if the college is under the authority of a group of baptist churches?

Example: The Minnesota Baptist Association has owned and elects the Board of Pillsbury Baptist Bible College since 1854. Kept it straight as an arrow.

Would this still qualify as "not usurping" the role of the local church?

4. DocCas

DocCas New Member

Well, first of all, "straight as an arrow" may be hyperbole. I seem to recall a drift toward New Evangelicalism in the past decade which has since been corrected. [​IMG]

And, in my not entirely humble opinion, a committee is the only animal on earth with 10 stomaches and no brain! [​IMG]

Or, to put it another way, an animal with more than one head is usually considered at least a freak and at worst a monster. :D

I believe the most desirable solution is to put the College/Seminary under the authority of one local church and that church's paster. A board of advisors made up of pastors from other local churches could prove helpful (Proverbs 11:14; 15:22; 24:6) but I believe the ultimate decision should fall on the pastor. It has worked for Central since 1955. [​IMG]

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Bob Griffin:
    What about if the college is under the authority of a group of baptist churches?

Example: The Minnesota Baptist Association has owned and elects the Board of Pillsbury Baptist Bible College since 1854. Kept it straight as an arrow.

Would this still qualify as "not usurping" the role of the local church?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it would. Since the NT refers to the church as both local, collective, and universal, it would qualify. It is often better than having a sole church in authority because the accountability factor is much higher. Strictly my two cents. [​IMG]