1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The righteousness of God

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Dec 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Metonymy is a figure of speech where something is not called by its own name or description, but by something closely related. For example, the White house for a Presidential administration, or Hollywood for the film industry.

It is possible that the "righteousness of God" does not actually refer to God's perfection, His own righteousness, but rather is used metonymically for God's redemptive work through Christ.

Thus to be seeking the righteousness of God through (by means of) faith in Christ actually refers to seeking redemption in Christ where we are made perfect, holy and blameless, thus having the righteousness (perfection) of God.

Lets see if this possibility works for the verses that use the phrase.

Romans 1:17, For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “But the righteous man shall live by faith.”

The "it" at the beginning of the verse refers to the gospel of Christ. Faith to faith is understood in various ways, but the simplest idea is from beginning to end, thus God's revelation is from beginning to end about redemption in Christ Jesus. Thus, God's redemptive work by means of Christ is revealed in the gospel, from beginning to end.

Romans 3:5, "But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? The God who inflicts wrath is not unrighteous, is He? (I am speaking in human terms.)"

The Greek word translated "demonstrates" means highlights, makes more clear or in other words demonstrates the need for the redemptive work of God through Christ.

Romans 3:21, But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,

Here we see that the redemptive work of God through Christ is apart from the work of the Law which brings knowledge of our sin. And this redemptive work is witnessed in the Old Testament scriptures.

Romans 3:22, even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction;

This verse strongly suggests that the righteousness of God is being used metonymically for God's redemptive work through faith in Jesus Christ.

Romans 10:3, For not knowing about God’s righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God.

Here we see the lost have the opportunity to subject themselves to the redemptive work of God by means of putting their faith in Christ Jesus. The cause of the failure in this case is ignorance of the gospel, rather than a lack of spiritual ability.

2 Corinthians 5:21, He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Lets sidestep the mistaken view that Jesus became sin, rather on the cross the Lamb of God became a sin offering. What is key to the topic is that we obtain the righteousness of God when God puts us "in Him" where we are made perfect, holy and blameless, i.e. made righteous.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because this phrase is ambiguous, and translators do not see it as a metonymy for the redemptive work of God through Christ, we get all sorts of interesting variations on the theme.

If we consider James 1:19-20 we find:

19 My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. Here we see the NIV translators interpreting the phrase to mean walking according to God's will. Taken in isolation, looking at this verse alone, that might be a possible interpretation, but if we look at all of them together, clearly other views are better, i.e. more apt to be accurate.

19 Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; 20 for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. Here we have the ESV translators interpreting our phrase as meaning something other than anger may produce the righteousness of God. I think most of us pretty much agree, we do not produce the righteousness of God in ourselves by staying cool.

19 This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; 20 for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God. Well the NASB at least indicates the anger of man will not be achieve the righteousness of God, whether from God or from ourselves

The HCSB has "does not accomplish God's righteousness." James uses this same word (translated produce, achieve, accomplish) in James 1:3, but in that verse all these translators render it produces.

Bottom line, being angry with those witnessing, if you are lost, hinders the redemptive work of God through faith in Christ Jesus. Therefore put aside all filthiness and receive with humility the word of God implanted in you which is able to save your souls. Putting aside filthiness sounds like repentance, and receiving with humility the gospel of Christ sounds like believing.

3. Tsalagi

Tsalagi Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The metonymy idea is an interesting perspective, thank you for that! I think many of your example scriptures support the point well in their respective contexts, although I ended up falling off the wagon before arriving at that conclusion for James chapter 1.

To me the immediate context in James suggests something other than an unsaved individual angered at hearing the gospel witness. James addresses believers who are already "begat" by the Father and are therefore "my beloved brethren" (vv. 16, 18-19). The righteousness of God which should be done, not just heard about (v22) is worked by the believer who controls his tongue (v 19, 26) and puts away wrath (v 19, cf. Eph 4:24, 31).

This leads me to understand the infinitive of sōzō in v21 (able "to save") not as a reference to eternal salvation, but as deliverance of the believer's soul from operational death--error, sin, failure, fruitlessness--as in 1:14-15 and Proverbs 14:12. The concept is similarly expressed in 5:19-20 (helping an erring brother to turn around "saves" his soul from that kind of death). Taking v21 as a reference to saving faith proper creates a problem of salvation by works, since putting aside filthiness and abundant wickedness is clearly a personal effort, thus not part of the gospel of salvation by grace through faith. After salvation we are charged with continuing to appropriate the righteousness of God by faith and obedience (Gen 15:6, Heb 11:7, Rev 19:8). This is legitimately part of the "good works which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them" (Eph 2:10).

The implanted word evokes the Lord's parable of the sower, picturing the outcome of what we as believers do with what we hear. Col 2:6-7 also comes to mind, "as ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord (i.e., by faith), so walk ye in Him: *rooted* and built up in Him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught ..."

So the Word that begot us, when rooted and implanted within us (so that we don't just "receive" it but actually walk by faith in it) yields the righteousness of God--gold, silver, precious stones, thirty-, sixty-, a hundred-fold; where emotional impatience and anger produce dead works--wood, hay, and stubble.

#3 Tsalagi, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  4. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that this is what the Bible actually Teaches.

"It is possible that the "righteousness of God" does not actually refer to God's perfection, His own righteousness, but rather is used metonymically for God's redemptive work through Christ."

δικαιοσύνη θεοῦ, means God's Righteousness, that belongs to the Holy Character of God, and of the very Nature of God. It is therefore a Righteousness that belongs to God, and that flows from God. God being Holy.

#4 SavedByGrace, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul stated that God imputed to us the very righteousness of God when believing in the Lord Jesus, so has to be His moral perfection!

6. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Vans theology :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for your views, but like you, I could not ride your wagon, either.

You indicated you did not think James 1:20 used "the righteousness of God" as a metonymy for God's redemptive work in Christ.

First, James is not addressing "believers" as brethren, but fellow Israelites. See James 1:1. But as you noted, they have professed faith in Christ. So James is saying "test yourselves" are you lip service professors, or do you actually walk the talk.

So the issue of James 1:19-20 is whether a professing believer, walks the talk. This is not works to achieve salvation, this is evidence of salvation.

To construe "save your soul" to refer to walking the talk is, for me, a bridge too far.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will ignore your first sentence, and embrace of second sentence. :)

9. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Meaning what?

10. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    James is written to believing Jews and no doubt Gentiles as well. He would hardly say in 1.2, "my brethren count it all joy" etc to the unsaved

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your first sentence said the opposite of your second sentence.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your view is noted.

13. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    show how

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are wasting my time, Sir. You cannot be that obtuse.

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would be interesting to read his own Systematic theology!

16. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    you made the accusation, and should be able to justify it!

17. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doubt that it would be "Systematic" though :eek:

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another you, you, you post in a pathetic effort to change the subject, Not to put too fine a point on it, but the righteousness of God is not indicated by being slandering gospel witnesses.

19. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? what are you on about? judging from your own OP, and other comments here, I doubt that you even know! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You, you you on display. This is all they have, folks, absurdity followed in personal attacks. Got it?

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.