1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The rise of Calvinism?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by 37818, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That sounds like Johnny Mac. LOL

2. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And this is where wisdom among the spiritually mature must prevail. We need to know if we should respond to error and how to respond to it if we choose to engage. Sometimes all we can do is pray. We should always check our motives when we pray for someone else in this regard. Pride is a constant temptation and all of us stumble in that area at different times.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One cannot pull apart any of the so called 5 points, as they are biblically linked to each other!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends if we ignore or water down the penal subtitution that those such as a Calvin affirmed was in the scripture regarding the Atonement!

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we also have to remember that most of us (hopefully all of us) do not hold the same views on many of these topics as we did initially. At one time we have just as strongly defended a different position.

Often people move from one view because on a particular issue and later move from that view for another issue all together.

For example, I left Free-Will theology and became convinced of Calvinism because of issues concerning predestination. Through prayer and study I came to see error in Free-Will theology and arrived at a Calvinistic understanding. After a long time I became aware of unrelated issues with Calvinism and through prayer and study moved from Calvinism to the "classic view". But this has to do with my understanding and the work of God in my life.

We argue against what we understand as error but we have to remember to keep it addressed to doctrine and not the Christians who hold the view.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is understood that way by many. Yet I only hold two points, the first and the fifth point. I see unmerited as a condition of election. I see Christ died and is risen to be Lord of all. I see the perishing resist God's grace to their doom.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As do we Calvinists, as the lost are not resisting Grace in the sense that God intended to save them and they are rejecting His efforts to save them!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fullerism is five point evangelical Calvinism. Some think it is only four point Calvinism because it understands as being for the whole world referring to its sufficiency of the finished work of Christ for securing salvation only for His sheep out of the world.

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have a Scripture for that?

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 1:9-13

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fullerism?

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The doctrine of Andrew Fuller (closer to Jonathan Edwards than John Calvin)

13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I think of irresitible grace the parable of the sower comes to mind where someone whose faith is shallow ". . . he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended. . . ." -- Matthew 13:20-21.
    ". . . when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. . . ." -- Luke 8:13.
    ". . . when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness; And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake, immediately they are offended. . . ." -- Mark 4:16-17.

Also comes to mind Acts of the Apostles 7:51, "Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye."

And Titus 2:11, ". . . For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, . . ."

So the concept of God's sheep ultimately finding God's grace irresitible I believe.

But to simply claim God's grace is irresitible I do not believe. The gospel must be correctly undertood so its truth is not hid (2 Corinthians 4:3). Hmm . . . the reason God's grace is resisted.

#153 37818, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  14. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe. Andrew Fuller was famous for changing his mind. This is why I prefer the term Monergism to Calvinism, although I have no problem with Calvinism. I have said in another post that Monergism is the theology behind Calvinism and the Doctrines of Grace. There are many Monergists who do not identify as Calvinists for various reasons, although they are in complete agreement with Calvin's soteriology. If you reduce Calvinism to its lowest common denominator you are left with the view that "the Holy Spirit is the only agent who effects regeneration of Christians. It is in contrast to Synergism, the view that there is a cooperation between the divine and the human in the regeneration process" (McKim).

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. The only caveat I will add is that sometimes the individual does become the error and that by pointing that out you are effectively warning others to beware of that individual's teachings. For example, I would place the late Harold Camping in that category. His extreme views on the day of the Lord and ecclesiology were not only wrong theologically but those views and Harold Camping the person became inseparable. Admittedly, these situations are exceptions but they do occur.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In around 1969 when I was in the Air Force, I listened to Harold Camping's call in radio talk show.

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am rethinking my view on irrestable grace here. With 2 Corinthians 4:3 in mind.

19. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One way to look at irresistible grace is to not look at it in the negative. Opponents of Calvinism often look at irresistible grace as limiting man's free will. Man is saved kicking and screaming. Nothing is further from the truth. When God calls one of His elect, that individual desires nothing more than to come to God. There may be plenty of kicking and screaming before they are regenerated (made capable of belief), but when the Holy Spirit does His regenerating work in an individual's life, that individual wants nothing more than to come to Christ.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Truth is not subjective, but rather it is objective.

Jesus came to bear witness to the truth.
    Everyone who is of the truth heard His voice
    Jn18:37-38....notice Pilate suggested it was subjective.

Calvinism does not put believers in opposition to God.
    We can judge righteous judgment.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.