1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Role of Pastors, Deacons, Elders, etc.

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Jason Garrett, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett New Member

These are questions posed to anyone with knowledge or experience who wants to answer.

(1) Is the senior pastor of a local congregation the end-all be-all of the group?

(2) What are the specific roles of deacons and elders? Are they different?

(3) Why don't most Baptist churches have elders and only deacons?

(4) Who is responsible for the carrying out of church discipline, whether it be member or staff? Is it Pastor only, Congregation only, Deacons only, Elders only, a combination of some or all?

Thank you.

2. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Jason,
    You've asked some millionaire questions there. Perhaps if we all agreed on any of the answers, there wouldn't be so many demoninations. Will be interesting to see how this dialogue proceeds.
    WallyGator

3. bjonson

bjonson New Member

Jason,

Well, you'll find a lot of opinions here - hopefully all Bible-based.

The pattern in Acts and the pastoral epistles supports local churches that are led by a plurality of elders. The role of the deacons is not discussed in much detail. The idea of a single pastor (elder/bishop) running a local church is foreign to the Word of God.

I recommend the articles here:

http://www.bible.org/docs/theology/theology.htm

Scroll down to "ecclesiology" and enjoy the well-written articles on church leadership.

Brian

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I will give you my opinion.

No.

Yes, elders are pastors and overseers; deacons are servants.

I don't know of any Baptist church that doesn't have at least one elder (except those in between pastors). Usually this confusion stems from not understanding that "elder" is a "pastor."

Usually all are involved. The pastor usually makes the "go" call, after having been involved in trying for reconciliation. In many churches, the deacons are the "two or three" that you take with you. Only the congregation can vote a member under discipline.