1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

THE SABBATH POLL

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Claudia_T, May 6, 2006.

?
  1. The Law is abolished and so the Sabbath no longer needs to be kept

25.0%
  2. We need to keep the Law of God but the Sabbath doesnt matter

30.0%
  3. The Law of God still applies and so does the Sabbath but it is Sunday

45.0%
  4. The Law of God still applies to us today and so does the 7th Day Sabbath

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gekko

gekko New Member

Christians who say they dont have to follow the law... are technically following the law anyways:

if a christian hates sin. and therefore goes out to not sin with the help of God. that person is keeping the commandments.

sin is the transgression of the law. if one hates sin and does not wish to sin. that in turn is following the commandments.

i have another question:

WHY IS IT THAT THE COMMANDMENT CONCERNING THE SABBATH DAY CREATES MORE CONTROVERSY THEN ANY OTHER OF THE NINE COMMANDMENTS?

something fishy here... no, its not dinner.

God bless.

2. gekko

gekko New Member

look people. God said the seventh day.

look at the calendar in north america, find the last day of the week. there ya have it. the sabbath.

go to another country, find the last day of the week. there ya have it. the sabbath.

go to yet another country, find the last day of the week. there ya have it. the sabbath.

what is so [Edited out inappropriate language/veiled cursing.] hard about having fellowship and having that whole day devoted to spending time with God? GOD CREATED US! HE GAVE US LIFE! what's so hard about giving Him one day in seven? the day He commanded us to give to Him?

God bless.

[ May 07, 2006, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

3. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

I have wondered the same things myself. Why it is that the Sabbath seems to be the only commandment people dont want to keep.

Of course I have my own theory on it but I better not say it [​IMG]

And like you said, whats so difficult about keeping it anyway?

You would think God was asking for an arm or a leg or something. Geesh.

I also dont understand why if God said its the 7th day then they dont think that matters.

It matters just as much as when God told Adam and Eve not to eat from a certain tree.

It matters because God said it matters.

And its not ok to go around changing God's commandments.

This is a prophecy about the catholic church:

2Thes:2:4: Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

we are supposed to be different than that.

Claudia

4. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Moderator's Note: According to the official BB Ploicy as established by the Webmaster:

[ May 09, 2006, 03:05 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

5. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Moderator's Note: According to the official BB Ploicy as established by the Webmaster:

[ May 09, 2006, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

D L Moody;
    Man, Moody and I certainly agree pretty close. Never met a man I agreed with more.

This same as I said before Bob and Claudia!

Your research on the Sabbath is about what I get out of it too. I been to a funeral and haven't had too much time. We still have the loss of 8 or 9 hours from the actual event. The muslims go by the time in Meca to worship their God, but we go by the time whereever we are at.

7. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Romans 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
    Romans 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Galatians 4:9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
    Galatians 4:10 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.
    Galatians 4:11 I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Galatians 4:11 I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

What does it mean then SMM?

Go to the site and listen to the song Bob. It is back working and you will hear some Appalachian type singing. You may not like it for it is slow and sad to some but to us it feeds our souls.

9. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

According to Romans 14:5, the day we keep is a matter of personal opinion, isn't it?
    Romans 14:5

Notice that the whole chapter is on judging one another (Verses 4, 10, 13). The issue here is not over the seventh-day Sabbath, which was a part of the great moral law, but over the yearly feast days of the ceremonial law. Jewish Christians were judging Gentile Christians for not observing them. Paul is simply saying, "Don't judge each other. That ceremonial law is no longer binding."

10. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Galatians 4:9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

Obviously that isnt talking about the Sabbath of the ten commandments for Paul kept the 7th day Sabbath.

Doesn't Colossians 2:14-17 do away with the seventh-day Sabbath?
    Colossians 2:14

Not at all. It refers only to the sabbaths which were "a shadow of things to come" and not to the seventh-day Sabbath. There were seven yearly holy days, or holidays, in ancient Israel which were also called sabbaths. These were in addition to, or "beside the sabbaths of the Lord" (Leviticus 23:38), or seventh-day Sabbath. These all foreshadowed, or pointed to, the cross and ended at the cross. God's seventh-day Sabbath was made before sin entered, and therefore could foreshadow nothing about deliverance from sin. That's why Colossians chapter 2 differentiates and specifically mentions the sabbaths that were "a shadow." These seven yearly sabbaths which were abolished are listed in Leviticus chapter 23.

11. SpiritualMadMan

Yep... Only "Partially" Freed... After all??????

Sabbath or Sabbaths...

Same difference to me...

Every day is the same...

Another day to live for and Praise Jesus!

I notice the 'jump on' against the ceremonial Sabbaths... In Galatians

And, the issue of Judging in Romans...

But,. Romans also clearly states that observing or not observing **any** day is not an issue to be judged...

Duh!

Doesn't it strike you as totally strange that if **any** day or eating meat or not eating meat is not worth dividing fellowships and judging one another over it that we should be here striving to enforce one day or another over the other?

I am having a hard time not making some snide pithy comment as my level of incredulity is reaching over load levels!

As Paul said to the Galatians... So say I...

Galatians 4:20 I desire to be present with you now, and to change my voice; for I stand in doubt of you.

The NIV renders in doubt of you as 'Perplexed'...

Galatians 4:21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?

Paul goes on to say that in spite of all the protestation to the contrary that those that desire the law, the Old Covenant, ratified at Sinai are of Hagar not of Sarah...

And, that the children of Hagar, the bondwoman, will _NOT_ be children of the promise...

I reiterate, with Paul, you can _not_ be children of the Old Covenant and Children of Promise at the same time. Period.

You are either binding yourselves to obey the whole law by human means or you are under Grace...

You can _not_ mix Law and Grace... EVER.

The Law was and always will be an instrument of sin and death...

Only Grace delivered through the Blood of Jesus Christ can bring Life...

The sabbath is not mandatory to begin with...

Does not matter whether we have 4 million years of recorded observance/tradition...

The Sabbath is not mandated under the New Covenant in Christ's Blood...

Colosians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Mike Sr.

12. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Mike,

You could always try just believing what the Bible says, and where you get the idea you can pick out one of the commandments and change them, is beyond me. You are not "free" to go out and break God' Law, as much as you would like to be..

Once again this is obviously talking about the ceremonial laws, there were many "sabbath days" (plural)

1Jn:2:3: And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1Jn:2:4: He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1Jn:3:22: And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

1Jn:3:24: And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1Jn:5:2: By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

1Jn:5:3: For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

2Jn:1:6: And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Rv:12:17: And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Rv:14:12: Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If your answer to the question is "nope," means you change your days at some time during your 360 degree trek. Approximately where then?

14. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

You could always tell everyone you are leaving the message board so they will hate me and beg you to stay... thats what this one guy used to do at a chat room I used to go to when he got frustrated LOL! That was his tactic he used.

15. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

**hoping I didnt give him any ideas**

16. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

[Moderator's Note: According to the official BB Policy as established by the Webmaster:

]

[ May 09, 2006, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

17. SpiritualMadMan

Claudia,

I deprecate your insinuation that I am advocating the breaking of God's Moral Code...

What I am advocating is not being bound by a human understanding of the Old Covenant in it's entirety...

But, if I am bound to anything it is to Christ.

To walk in the Spirit and not the Flesh...

I remain amazed that for so many people it is either keeping the law or being lawless...

Have you *ever* considered being Filled with the Spirit and walking in the Spirit?

Colosians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

1 Corinthians 4:3 I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself.
    1 Corinthians 4:4 My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me.

Mike Sr.

As regards to your snide remark about leaving the board to get people to beg a person back...

What does that say about the depth of the Love of Christ you *really* have...

18. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

oh Mike I was just kidding, I cant belive how some people on here grab at any little old thing to try to use against me. Its sad.

and I have not accused you of anything. geez

you are the one who just now accused me of not having any love.

This seems to be the way it is alot on here. Any time people get upset at the Bible verses I am putting down they start resorting to this.

I should just not answer from now on, dont know why I never learn.

19. SpiritualMadMan

I disagree. Of course I did only take one year of college English and only got a 3.5 in it...

20. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

This thread has been closed for moderator review with respect to the continued posting of material in violation of the BB copyright policy.

[ May 07, 2006, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]