1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The SBC and Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Michael Wrenn, Feb 22, 2012.

1. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Praying for your mum/mom, Michael.

2. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

If that took place, I would feel more out of place in a SBC church that held to those positions.

Well, in the late eighties to mid-nineties I was a member of the Episcopal Church. My church membership now is in a small rural Baptist church, but I don't attend there -- am presently looking for something closer. Have been considering Baptist, Church of the Nazarene, or conservative Anglican. I just cannot seem to accept the Nazarane view of entire sanctification, even when defined in terms of love, as one of their professors and leading theologians has done. So, I'll most likely have to rule out the CotN.

I started this about 8-9 years ago: http://www.celtic-anabaptist-ministries.com/index.html

I've gotten some criticism here about that site. My views are basically a blend of Baptist/Anabaptist, and Celtic. I am mostly in the middle theologically, as I generally dislike extremes of the right or left. And one of my most cherished principles is freedom.

Hope this helps.

#62 Michael Wrenn, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2012
  3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Thanks, my friend; that means a lot.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Thanks for sharing, Michael. I'll discuss this with you further at your convenience in the pm.

Blessings to you and yours is my prayer!

I hope things with your Mom go well!

5. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Thanks; greatly appreciate the prayers!

6. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Have you EVER been a member of an SBC congregation that held to the Doctrines of Grace? Just wondering by what means you ascertain that it would be such a horid experience, or that they might preach some gospel so far off the mainstream of the Bible that they are apostate or something akin?

7. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

The two SBC churches that I was a member of held to OSAS and total depravity, I believe. I don't know about the other "TULIP" doctrines.

I wouldn't call Calvinism apostate, just terribly and tragically mistaken. But I can still take the primitive Baptists better than some mainstream Baptists because the former allow for those who never heard of Jesus to be saved.

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

So, you are actually searching for some form of universalism? Didn't I ask you about that before? Seems that I remember that you got all bent out of shape, and yet here you appear to reference that concept yet again.

9. mandym

mandym New Member

That is what it is to be sure.

10. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

No no, you don't have to be a universalist to believe that God made provision for those who never heard the Gospel.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

So how did He do it?

12. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Wrong again. I must say I have to admit that I admire the the ability to be so consistently wrong.

Though there is a small strand of universlaism in the Primitive Baptists, for example -- the "no-hellers -- the vast majority are not universalists. And yet they believe that some who never heard the Gospel will be saved. Now I realize that's because of their hyper-Calvinism, but at least in that instance it does some good.

13. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Why don't you ask Him?

The Primitive Baptists would give one answer, the Wesleyans another, the Quakers another, and the Catholics yet another.

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm asking you since you made that statement that God saves people that haven't heard the gospel. Sorry, "made provision".

15. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I prefer the Quaker, "Arminian", or "Catholic" views.

I like what Romans Ch. 2 says.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What specifically? And I don't have a clue what Quakers believe, or how Arminian and Catholic views prove that God has provided for salvation outside of the gospel.

17. mandym

mandym New Member

If you like cat and mouse games then you may get to his point.

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm curious; to what "arminian" view regarding "provision for those who've never heard the gospel" are you referring to?

19. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I believe our brother has once again painted himself into a corner.

Next will come the accusation that we are all horrid Calvinists and narrow-minded. If so, I agree... And, gladly.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Apparently. :laugh: