1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The scriptural and contextual reading of Lydia's heart

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by George Antonios, Apr 22, 2023.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Act 16:14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.

This is a classic case of resonance whereby we read something into the text because its tenor resonates with our mental framing:

What the verse says
    Act 16:14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God,
    How the Calvinist mind reads it
    who worshipped God in vain because she was yet unregenerated

What the verse says
    heard us:
    who did not truly hear us because she was yet unregenerated

What the verse says
    whose heart the Lord opened,
    whom God arbitrarily, suddenly, and monergistically regenerated

What the verse says
    that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.
    so that she now had an ear able to effectually hear the gospel

This can only be resolved by cold, clinical observation about the verse:
    · It does not say she worshipped God in vain
    · It does not say she prayed in vain
    · It does not say that God regenerated her.
    · It does not say when exactly God opened her heart.
    · It does not specify how God opened her heart.
    · It does not say why God opened her heart.
    · It does not say that God opened her heart unconditionally.
    · It does not say that God opened her heart to believe.
    · It does not say that that’s how God deals with every man.
    · It does not say what things were being spoken of Paul.

#1 George Antonios, Apr 22, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Lydia was regenerated when she heard Paul/Us since to hear Spiritually requires regeneration,

Acts 16:14

14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.

John wrote 1 Jn 4:6

We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Jesus also said Jn 8:47

47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

So being regenerated she heard Gods words from His servants and God gave her understanding !

• Like Like x 1
  3. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Provisionists believe those verses just as much as you do.
    I know what you believe as a Calvinist, I was one myself.
    We are trying to stick to the context without inserting anything external.
    I simply stated what the text does not say. Your appeal to 1John 4:6 and John 8:47 confirms that Acts 16:11-14 does not say that God regenerated Lydia's heart.
    Of course, that is not to say that we should not appeal to other scriptures, quite the contrary.
    But then we can apply the same clinical analysis to the verses you quoted:
    they say nothing of regeneration. Nor do they define what of God means. So you are back to square 1.

#3 George Antonios, Apr 22, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @George Antonios . I listened to part of your video but haven't had time to listen to all of it yet. But thanks for putting it up. I have often wondered if we don't mix up regeneration with other work of the Holy Spirit. But having said that, I read Calvin's take on Lydia in both the "Institutes" and in his verse by verse commentary. Calvin doesn't seem to make all the claims you say Calvinists make concerning that passage. True, he does not shy away from the idea that we can never receive anything from God unless given to us by the Holy Spirit. This applies to our daily walk and perseverance as well as our initial salvation. But Calvin seemed to have no issue with Lydia already being a godly woman and already being willing to do God's will to the extent she knew it. In fact, in both things I read, Calvin's main thrust in discussing these verses was to make the point that even though we can receive nothing from God without His Holy Spirit - we still have to have his Word taught. Calvin's main point was to emphasize the importance of the preaching of the word. Calvin never suggested that Lydia was in any way odious in the sight of God before her encounter with the gospel but in fact he seemed to think that this was part of God's favor on her.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    They imply and confirm that she was regenerated.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    george

Of God means born of God Jn 1:13

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Jn 8:47
    He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

The word of is the prep ek which means:
    1. out of, from, by, away from

ek; a primary preposition denoting origin (the point whence action or motion proceeds), from, out (of place, time, or cause; literal or figurative; direct or remote):

1. Regeneration is being born out of God.

1. Besides, whats the opposite of being of God, not of God
    Jn 8:47

He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

1 Jn 4:3,6

And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist,

We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Lydia was regenerated in order to hear Gods word.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have a very very very limited view of what Calvin said brother. Calvin said a whole whack more than that.
    But that is beside the point. Did you get to the (early) part where I quote John Gill's commentary on the passage?

8. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prove that from Acts 16.

9. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well let me ask you this. Calvin said "Wherefore, we see that not faith alone, but all understanding and knowledge of spiritual things, is the peculiar gift of God, and that the ministers do no good by teaching and speaking unless the inward calling of God be thereunto added". He's talking about Lydia here. You wouldn't have any problem with that statement, would you?

Regarding Gill, I'm not that familiar with him. I haven't avoided him, just haven't got to read much of him. People say he's hyper.

10. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already did. She heard Paul Acts 16:14

14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.

The hearing of the word of God, scripture says 1 Jn 4:6

Jesus said in order to hear Gods words one must be of God Jn 8:47
    47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

• Like Like x 1
  11. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would have a problem with that. As written, that is unscriptural. There is no "inward calling of God" as Calvinistically understood. Maybe my study of this will at least help explain why I say this:

#11 George Antonios, Apr 24, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  12. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you please define "of God" with scriptures?

#12 George Antonios, Apr 24, 2023
  13. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Already did

14. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where does it say there is no inward call of God ?

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Help me out, where? Specifically.

16. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you listen to it?

17. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you think that is a problem then I think you go too far. But there is a lot of overlap which most of the radical Calvinists on here won't acknowledge. Please indulge a lengthy quote. You owe it to me as I listened to your whole video. It's very well done by the way.
    " A diligent intension of mind, in attendance on the means of grace, to understand and receive the things revealed and declared
    as the mind and will of God. For this end hath God given men their reasons and understandings, that they may use and
    exercise them about their duty towards him, according to the revelation of his mind and will. To this purpose he calls upon them
    to remember that they are men, and to turn unto him. And there is nothing herein but what is in the liberty and power of the
    rational faculties of our souls, assisted with those common aids which God affords to all men in general....Persons, I say who
    diligently apply their rational abilities in and about spiritual things, as externally revealed in the word, and the preaching of it, do
    usually attain great advantage by it, and excel their equals in other things; as Paul did when he was brought up at the feet of
    Gamaliel. Would men be but as intent and diligent in their endeavours after knowledge in spiritual things, as revealed in a way
    suited unto our capacities and understands, as they are to get skill in crafts, sciences, and other mysteries of life, it would be
    much otherwise with many than it is. A neglect herein also is the fruit of sensuality, spiritual sloth, love of sin and contempt of
    God; all of which are the voluntary frames and actings of the minds of men." John Owen Works of the Holy Spirit Chapter 2

Owen didn't minimize the importance of the Holy Spirit's internal work. But neither did he deny the actual responsibility of men before God. He did not teach the chance "light switch" mentality that you see in some modern Calvinist teaching. He said that the internal acts of the Holy Spirit on men will be through their rational minds. That is why I don't get too upset with my non-Calvinist friends who insist that they used their reason and choice to come to Christ. They did. I just happen to believe that the Holy Spirit was already at work using a lot of means - to bring them to salvation and belief, which they have to do.

Also, your lengthy description of Pharoah first hardening his own heart before God finally and judicially stepped in is well accepted and frequently taught in Reformed Baptist circles. And the Puritans frequently taught that indulging in known, small sins and not repenting is what often leads a person, saved or not, to greater, more heinous sins, beyond their control or plan. My point is just that on a practical level I think there is a lot of overlap.

18. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, I tried to get cute with the spacing and ended up with what you see above. I hope it's still readable.

19. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...as opposed to the 'wishy washy waffling Calvinist'...ROFL

#19 kyredneck, Apr 24, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean like Owen? Care to refute the quote above? Do you even know what we're talking about on this thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.