1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Seedy Legacy of Rock Music

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Aaron, Dec 17, 2001.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Some would rather be as close to the world as they can get and still be 'called' a christian.
    Others would rather be as far from the ways of this world as possible, and "come out from among her my people and be ye seperate."
    That's the entire issue with this music thing, as I see it.
    I would rather NOT be LIKE this fallen world and then there are SOME who really do not care what their testimony looks like to their fellow beleievers. These two positions are the undelying issue here. IMHO
    av1611Jim;
    For the Glory of God. (not man)

2. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Aaron,
    You have no credibility. There is no way that you have looked at this objectively. Like many IFB, you first decide what good music is, and then seek to justify it using the bible. It is like a parrot being taught to speak without understanding what is being said. You say the same things over and over and ignore anything that is contrary to what you say. This is the same tactic used by the KJV only crowd. ( I must refrain from using the word cult. Here at the baptist board free speech is conditional on what is being said. Anything that questions the accepted christian standards, especially of the moderator, is quickly deleted.)

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!

You win the prize! I've been censored over nothing by Aaron and by less than nothing by CS Murphy.

There are mods here who abuse their censoring priviledges. I and other members have complained, but to no avail.

I didn't even get a response.

[ January 15, 2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Mike McK ]

4. Terry_Herrington

Mike McK,
    You must be psychic. Since I do not want to point fingers, let me say that you named one of the moderators who operates his forum like the Gestapo. It's his way or the highway.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

...it's sensual and God does not accept it.

The day that music (any kind) ceases to appeal to the senses, it fails to be music. Same with all art forms. Doesn't matter of it's sacred ot secular art/music.

6. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I agree. We've complained but nobody really seems to care.

I've even gotten nasty PM's from the guy and no response.

7. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Forgive me if I am responding to something incorrectly...but Aaron isn't a moderator any more...if he's the one you are referring to, maybe you weren't being ignored.

I'm sorry you've been censored...so have I...and it was so weird because usually if my posts are a little in need of a censuring... I either do it myself, or the moderator will ask me to do it myself. Doesn't it feel weird when someone does that to your thoughts put to words? It made me feel a little bit like I was a child again. I suppose as old as I am...I should consider that a good thing. :rolleyes:

8. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Mostly it just made me wonder if they were just joking when they said:

We believe that open and honest exchange of ideas can be beneficial to all participants.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been overloaded at work lately. Don't have a lot of time to respond. Are you game for a debate? There used to be a one-on-one debate forum, but no more. No one agreed to go with me there. It was like no one wanted to argue if he didn't have his retinue of hecklers.

But I'm sure if we contact Dr. Bob, he would agree to giving you and me a thread all to ourselves.

10. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Why is it that those who are in agreement with the views in opposition to yours are "hecklers"?

Do you have a persecution complex or do you not understand that the "hecklers" are demonstrating their ability to come to their own conclusions by way of logical reasoning?

As far as a one on one debate goes, I'm game if no one else is.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you aren't reading the same posts I am. :rolleyes:

But if you're game, so am I. ;)

First, I'll even let you come up with the resolution, but it must be specific and not too broad.

Then we must define the terms of the resolution so that we are discussing the same things.

12. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Aaron, I sent you a p.m.

13. Terry_Herrington

Aaron,
    I would be glad to debate this issue. However, probably we would just rehash old posts. My point is that music is very individualist. People who love a particular style of music tend to feel that theirs is the most pleasing to God.

I do not feel that music is, of itself, good or bad. Nor do I feel that secular music is automatically evil.

When I say that you lack credibility, I am not saying this as a put down. I simply mean that, I believe, you have already decided what you believe and nothing will change your mind. It reminds me of what a pastor in a former church I attended said (concerning the KJV only issue), "I've made up my mind; don't confuse me with the facts."

14. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Terry,
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'll try and put my two cents in.
    You are right in that people like a particular style of music or styles. Age also has a lot to do with what you like in music as well as other things. Lyrics has alot to say and music is what it is, as Joseph Stalin said in 1937( I think it was 37) to the political science institute, it was much easier to defeat a nation which it's music has a strong beat. I don't know if he was right or wrong but he had a strong view.
    I've seen music split churches, because one wants it their way or else, where is the christian concern about love of others.
    Why is it when I'm open to anything I'm broad minded and smart and when when I think I'm right and say so I'm narrow minded and not so smart?
    I will now get out of the dog fight, my dog is to old.
    Bob

15. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I believe that's an urban myth, like the Hitler quote about gun registration.

Either that or from one of those goofy books Aaron's always quoting.

Either way...

Besides, the Third Reich used quite a bit of Wagner's music for their propaganda purposes.

16. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I ask and challenge any of the anti contemporary folks to go to www.worldwideworship.com and say this music does not glorify God. At least most of it. ;) It does not make me want to rush out and perform sinful acts. :eek: It makes me want to get on my knees before Him and praise His awesome wonders and glorify His wonderful name forever. Amen. [​IMG]

17. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I believe that's an urban myth, like the Hitler quote about gun registration.

Either that or from one of those goofy books Aaron's always quoting.

</font>[/QUOTE]Mike,
    I don't know but the first time I had the quote was in 10th grade history book in 1957, the next time or times was in college, then the last time was by Col. Bob Thieme, Jr. who is pastor of Berachah Church, Houston,Tx. in the late 70's. Bob Thieme, Jr. and Aaron wouldn't agree on much if anything.
    As Rock goes, all I know is the rock of the 50's and I wasn't a fan of it, which does not make it good or bad. We all have a style or styles of music which we like and dislike. Do I enjoy CCM,no so I don't listen to it on the radio. I do enjoy Southern Gospel a little on the radio but not in church, but that is just me, as that goes church would be great for me with little or no music, but that is just me.
    Bob

[ January 17, 2003, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Bob Alkire ]

18. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Just a brief update. This person is no longer a moderator.