1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Self-Centered God

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I say that reverently . A couple posters ( you know who you are !) referenced this Calvinistic belief . The Lord is jealous for the Honor of His Holy Name . It is certainly sinful for fallen people to be self-centered , but it is wholly good for God to bring glory to Himself . He is the Center -- it is right for Him to be self-centered .

Snippets will follow .

Ez. 20:9 But for the sake of my name ...

Ez. 20:22 ... for the sake of my name

Ez. 20:44 ... I deal with you for my name's sake

Ez. 36:22 This is what the Sovereign Lord says : It is not for your sake, ... but for the sake of my holy name .

Ez. 36:32 I want you to know that I am not doing this for your sake ...

Is. 42:8 I am the Lord ; that is my name ! I will not give my glory to another ...

Is. 43:7 everyone who is called by my name , whom I created for my glory

Is. 43:25 I , even I , am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake ...

Is. 48:11 For my own sake, for my own sake , I do this . How can I let myself be defamed ? I will not yield my glory to another .

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Wouldn't it be sinful if he were not self-centered? What would be greater than himself that he should center himself on?

The reason why it is bad for man to be self-centered is because we are not worthy of it. We should center our affections on God becaues he is worthy of it. That's the same reason God pursues his own glory: he alone is worthy.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 11:36 For from him and through him and to him are all things . To him be the glory forever ! Amen .

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

You guys sound like John Piper. That is so good. I know you would come around to what is at the heart of Scripture: God. Now read "God is the Gospel."

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

God set me straight on this early on, even while I was a free-willer and largely unfamiliar with the Bible, and a very new Christian. It was over something incredibly silly, in retrospect. I questioned why God would institute a sacrificial system that required the killing of so many poor animals. That seemed cruel to me.

Then, I was hit by a personal revelation that I believe could only have been directly from God, maybe through Romans, which I had read many times, but hadn't absorbed yet. "I'm God. This is my creation. I'll do whatever I please with it." I felt like, "duh". And, for me, the issue was settled, and I was very comfortable with it.

Years later when I dealt with the issue of God doing all things for His glory and the issues of sovereignty and election, it was actually very easy to accept because I was already comfortable with the notion that God is point of everything, and He has the right to do whatever He wants with His own creation.

Kind of a wacky way to get there, isn't it? But I thought I'd share it anyway.

6. skypair

skypair Active Member

I believe we have to distinguish between God's glory and His self-centeredness. (BTW, the quote that seems to have started this was actually put forth by R.C. Sproul in "The Invisible Hand" and represented in his mind accusations made by free willers against Sprouls representation of God.).

Anyway, glory to God is great! It's how the world will know Him and what they will know about Him! I know my crowns will be at His feet in heaven (Rev 4:10)!

Self-centered is not one of God's qualities. Time and again He has tried to redeem men to Himself at great Personal sacrifice! You're leaving out the "of Him" in "of Him, and through Him, and to Him are all things."

skypair

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Tried?

For what reason? For His glory.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I disagree. The reason? His love for us.

But, He is glorified in the process.

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You can disagree all you want, but you're wrong.

God's love for His people:

Back up and read the whole thing and see why God will do it:

Plain as black and white.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Ephesians 1 makes the point that salvation is for the praise of the glory of his grace.

For those who think that God should not be self-centered, what should he be centered on?

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

John 3:16
    For God so LOVED the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

We're both right. :)

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I give up. Someone else can take over the head banging.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Why are you banging your head? That will only give you a headache.

God is glorified in everything He does.

:)

14. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

Brian damage

Net, you have been banging that head so long that the damage may be permanent. I have been away for sometime and still your goal is too attack those who do not adhere to the teachings of Calvin. God centering on HImself and recieving all the glory is nothing new to those who are not calvies.
    I wonder if Moses and Paul (I believe it was those two) who each wished themself accursed were really showing love or arrogance? They don't seem to be very good calvinist quetioning God on who He has picked and wishing themself accursed for others. Didn't they know that God has already picked those for heaven and hell?!! HOw prideful!~ Very bad calvies to question the soverignty of God.

15. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Now you're getting it! I won't risk saying any more than that.

Now answer Larry's question. If God should not be centered upon Himself, then upon whom or what should He be centered?

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No argument there! He is the beginning, the end, and everything in between.

However, I don't God just sits on His throne thinking about Himself all the time. He is also unselfish in His devotion to His children, willing to sacrifice His only Son to save us. Agree?

#16 Amy.G, May 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2007
  17. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

"Go ye therefore unto all the nations, teaching them from the Law and from the traditions. Tell everyone to memorize Ezekiel, whereunto it is as plain as black and white, wherefore they shall design doctrine therefrom. In all your ways acknowledge the Hebrew Bible. Then only will they know that I have chosen Group A, and couldn't care less about Group B. And lo, they will grow in knowledge and wisdom and Calvinism, even unto the end of the age."

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I am reminded from Scripture that God is not like man. Why do we try to no avail to contain God by human reasoning? His thoughts are not like ours, neither his ways like ours. God will always be God. And we will always be human. That is a great chasm that will never ever be closed.

At the heart of Scripture is the sovereignty of God. He dispenses his gracious love as he sees fit. He loves in degrees. Soli Deo Gloria (Rom 11:33ff).

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree that from our point of view we can't bridge the gap between He and us but He did close it when He became a human being, and became one of us...

Hebrews 2
    16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
    17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
    18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.​

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.​

Galatians 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law​

He Himself is that bridge (or ladder) into heaven.​

Genesis 28:12 And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it.​

John 1:51 And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.​

HankD​

20. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Does God adore us?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.