1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Solar Eclipse and God's judgment

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Aug 16, 2017.

1. ajayforchrist777

ajayforchrist777 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the upcoming prophecies, please contact the Book of revelation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realize that a total solar eclisp happens almost every year. It's just not visible unless you're in the right spot. I was in Germany in 99 and saw a total solar eclipse back then. And I'm looking forward to seeing this one because it's a cool demonstration of God's power but to read into it as a sign is to venture into the world of astrology which is forbidden in Scripture.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    All you mockers are wrong. This is indeed a sign of the judgment of God.

It is a judgment on Donald Trump. Or maybe it's a judgment on his enemies. It is a sign that Kim should repent. No, it's a sign predicting the demise of ISIS. Wait, maybe it's that ISIS will triumph and bring about the end of the age. Or maybe it's a judgment that Justin Bieber should shut up for a while. My money is on the latter. Unless, of course, the eclipse is warning against betting. In that case, I'll give you 2:1 odds.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately for the Gospel, nothing about this post rings false. I love the priesthood of the believer and congregationalism, but sometimes you wish someone had the authority to say "Shut up; you're making a fool of yourself and bringing Christianity into disrepute by your yammering."

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first solar eclipse I recall was on Marcht 7, 1970. It was a Saturday and our local skating rink had Sat. morning skating for "beginners only." Quite a few were not exactly beginners, but that's when so many from grades 3-6 were there. We came out of there about 11:30 (maybe they had to chase us out), and some looked up toward the sun. We knew about the eclipse, but we didn't know the exact time, and maybe we thought it would be total around here, when it wasn't close to that. Anyway, I went home and turned on the TV and they were showing a gathering in Valdosta, GA, where it would be total. And they showed some vignette where guys who looked like Vikings had the sun 'taken away' and they got some magician, per se, to try to get it back. When the sun returned, they were willing to heap praise on him and make him some kind of demigod.

Then later that day (I think it was that day) my dad told about when there was a total eclipse some distant ancestors experienced that they didn't know was coming. At midday it suddenly became dark, the chickens went into the coop, the birds acted funny, and they all went down on their knees, thinking it must be the end, and they were about to be judged.

Maybe knowing all about it takes some of the fun away.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, yeah, maybe it does... :D

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It's a sign of God's eternal power and godhead.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apply WOTM to the topic - If you teach false teachings what are you? A false teacher.

Why is Hagee's error in doctrine any less false than Comfort's? They both present the gospel of Christ, and they both teach an error that distorts (or at least has the potential to distort) that gospel.

Tomato, Tomahto.

9. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So far as I can tell, God has ordained many eclipses in the history of the world that were not signs of his judgment. I don’t see anything special about this being one.

On the other hand, a meme on social media credited to John Calvin (which is not an exact quote), says: “When God wants to judge a nation, He gives them wicked rulers.” I think that is a better present-day sign of God’s judgment upon us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excuse me???????? Are you calling Trump wicked?

11. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. Comfort teaches the correct gospel and is right on the money in most areas.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a generic statement on the types of leaders that have been rising to the top in our country. If the shoe fits Obama or Trump they can wear it.

13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Between 2 and 5 every year. Yawn.

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospelwhich I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
    4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
    9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

Mr. Comfort could just as soundly declare that the "X" on the United States means that God thinks we are the most special nation.

He keeps destroying his credibility with stuff like this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know if Comfort is "legit" (whatever that means), but his theology is weak. And I don't know what measure you are using to declare him "one of the best evangelists alive today." We'll let Jesus sort that out at the end of the age. He's the one that is giving out awards.

I happen to know a person who received an award for being the "most evangelistic" when he was in seminary. Once out of seminary, he was a full-time evangelist for a time, then served in my home church. He ended up coming to true faith somewhere in 1985 (can't remember exactly), and was transformed. He also became less "evangelistic" and more successful at real evangelism because he relied less on sales and persuasion techniques and more on the Spirit.

The reason I bring him up is that human perspectives on such things are often wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with what Brother Robert says on this and the scriptures teach a final judgment and those in time... But are we also not judged everyday in our walk with the Lord?... Judgments and blessing come in many forms... Obey and you are blessed, fall short and you are judged... That has been my Christian experience... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    False teachers are typically right in most areas. That's how they attract the undiscipled.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Donald Trump is wicked by every biblical definition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WHAT!? You mean he is Totally depraved?

HankD

• Funny Funny x 1