1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The "Sons of God" issue has been settled. Did you get the memo?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Buckethead Baptist, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckethead Baptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's been my experience that there is a great division over the verses of Genesis 6:1-4... and a generally dismissive attitude of its Supernatural character, ESPECIALLY from the Calvinists... (I'll let someone else explain why)

I've had these debates with Sethite view folks and watched the learned and the leaders panic over what to do with this section of scripture...

And I've watched what people do with the scripture throughout the rest of the book... because they are married to a Sethite/Moralistic viewpoint of Genesis 6.

... and I'm disappointed in their fruit.

Well... there's been more published on the subject of Genesis 6:1-4 in the last 20 years...than for the last 2,000.

There's a reason for that.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. reformed_baptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have read Heiser's books on UFO's, The Facade and The Portent, which are fictional stories summarizing his views on Watchers and aliens and it's a mish-mash of confusing nothingness. Sorry, I tried to get into it but it was a mess.

4. PrmtvBptst1832

PrmtvBptst1832 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a gross overstatement to claim that a correct understanding of the subject matter covered in this book is "crucial to understanding the storyline of God's redemptive plan for humanity." I have never come to a satisfactory understanding of Gen. 6.1-4, but it is not likely to have been of paramount importance in understanding redemption as neither Jesus nor the writers of the New Testament seemed to have thought so.

According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, -Eph. 1.4, 5

Either way, this is where "the storyline of God's redemptive plan for humanity" began. Yes, I am a Calvinist. Why does everything have to be our fault? :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that the Holy Spirit is able to instruct and teach us in those passages better than the good dr listed!

6. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you Michael Heiser?

God bless.

7. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you feel about Peretti?

God bless.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Meh...because of the supernatural themes just about anything can happen so I often found myself waiting for this or that angel to resolve the conflict with some otherworldly power just in the nick of time. His characters are better drawn than Heiser's and the stories are plotted better.

It's been years since I've read Peretti. His stories got more secular and more violent and graphic to the point where I gave up reading him. In fact he had a trilogy of books, Red, White, and Black (I think) that were essentially stupid. That's when I quit reading him. I think I read the first book in the series and thought it was a dumb fantasy.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read a few, and enjoyed them, but will admit they are a little hokey sometimes.

Heard him preach once, and it was pretty good. He was talking about Shirley Mclaine (sp?) and her trip to the beach, where her "spiritual guide" convinced her to repeat "I am god, I am god." Peretti said, "I can imagine what God thought about that. Looking down, and saying, 'Hey Michael, come here. Look at this!" Then in a squeaky, minute voice he (Peretti) imitates Shirley, "Iam god, I am god..."

HIlarious.

Went out of town to the mountains to do a job recently, and after a harrowing trip up a mountain to get to a cabin I stayed in one of those nights, I found a book by Robert Whitlow called "The Sacrifice," and started reading it. Got through 11 chapters before nodding off, and it was okay. I love courtroom drama so I may look for it the next time I'm in a Goodwill, lol.

God bless.

10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That Shirley MacLaine story is funny.

Robert Whitlow is a pretty good author. I liked The Sacrifice and The List.

If you like courtroom dramas by Christian authors you MUST read books by Randy Singer. Directed Verdict was his first one, then Dying Declaration. A lot of the time Christian fiction is sub par quality but Randy Singer books are very good. He's written at least 10 books now. He's a pastor and a retired trial attorney. I loved all of his books but I really like False Witness, about a bounty hunter whose wife has been kidnapped. Singer had been called the Christian John Grisham.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

11. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Relating to the OP... Oh no not another book of fables!... Brother Glen:rolleyes:

Deuteronomy 29:29 The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Buckethead Baptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And why has the Holy Spirit not taught you?

13. Buckethead Baptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvin made a choice to follow a version of the Sethite view of Genesis 6.

It was a mistake.

Unfortunately... the choice to follow that path... affected his doctrinal path through the remainder of scripture.

Those who have embraced the tenets of Calvinism today... have also inherited that flaw.

There are things to be re-learned because of this.

I had to.

I suggest it to you as a challenge... not an ultimatum or a dismissive blanket statement against Calvinism.

Personally... I feel its Calvinism's Achilles heel... but I've got better things to do than to argue with Calvinists much anymore.

Besides... they inherited the propensity of burning brothers with green wood too.

14. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There certainly is.
    It's tied up with 2 Timothy 4:3-4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey thanks, I will definitely check out his books.

God bless.

16. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Red, White, Black were actually written by Ted Decker not Frank Peretti.
    Decker and Peretti co wrote another book so that may be why you got them mixed up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, yes. That's correct.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

18. Buckethead Baptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Are you?

19. Buckethead Baptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is bible study of the supernatural a problem for you... or do you do this when discussing the resurrection too?

20. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll never tell...

;)

God bless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.