1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Soulwinner.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Brice, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Brice

Brice New Member

The Soulwinner!

I am currently reading The Soulwinner by C.H. Spurgeon and came across this on page 19:

“I hate to hear the terrors of the Lord proclaimed by men whose hard countenances, harsh tones, and unfeeling spirits betray a sort of doctrinal dehydration: all the milk of human kindness is dried out of them. Having no feeling himself, such a preacher creates none. The people sit and listen while he keeps to dry, lifeless statements. They come to value him for being “sound,” and they themselves come to be sound, too. I need not add, sound asleep. What life they have is spent snuffing out heresy and making earnest men offenders for a word. May we never be baptized into this spirit!”

What great words! He then continues:

“Whatever I believe, or do not believe, the command to love my neighbor as myself still retains its claim upon me. God forbid that any views or opinions should contract my soul and harden my heart to make me forget this law of love! Love for God is first, but by no means lessens the obligation of love for man. In fact, the first commandment includes the second. We are to love out neighbors’ conversion because we love them. We are to speak to them in terms of God’s loving Gospel because our hearts desire their eternal good.”

The first paragraph quoted, I feel, speaks to many discussions we’ve had on this board. Just an observation and some words that seemed beneficial to all of us. God bless.

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

The first paragraph certainly describes some of the activity on this board. While many of our discussions are useful here, there are many more we can point to and wonder just where the love of Christ is.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I read that book years ago and it changed my life.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great statements from a great book by a great man who loved a great God. And your comments, Brice, and the other comments so far are right on. [​IMG]

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

6. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Where did you pick that book up? Is it a work that is still easily obtained?

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

8. Brice

Brice New Member

Shannon,

I picked up the book at the local Berean Christian Bookstore in the clearance section of all places. I second John and GB’s comments. It is, so far, a life changing book. Here is the link to Berean (and the book) online. http://www.berean.com/be/item_0883687097.htm

I got mine for 50% off in the store, so if you have a Berean near you I would recommend going in to buy it.

9. Brice

Brice New Member

10. Brice

Brice New Member

Sorry double post. :D

11. Brice

Brice New Member

Thanks John and you are right on about Spurgeon. [​IMG]

12. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It is available on Amazon for around $8 with shipping. I just bought one.

13. shannonL

shannonL New Member

There is a Berean bookstore in Canton, OH. I go there sometimes. You said you found it in the clearance section. What is sad is you find alot of the classics in the clearance sections at christian bookstores everywhere. Nobody wants to read those they want the latest "How you can find yourself books" or the assortment of "God has a plan,purpose for you books" . You get my point.

14. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Or you could go to the Spurgeon Archives on the net and print it out or just read it in place anytime you wish.

15. Brice

Brice New Member

I was talking to a friend about that the other night. The books that sell are somewhat fluffy by nature. I love the classics and find a great deal of wisdom in them. I found mine in the back of the store for 50% off (plus an extra 10%off for having a Berean card). Kind of sad, but at least I got a great book for less then $6. :D POB's idea is a good one as well and cheap. [​IMG]

16. Brice

Brice New Member

Might end up being the best $8 you will spend. [​IMG]