1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Sovereignty of God is Absolute

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Mar 17, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither Dave nor I have said God is not sovereign. Austin it seems you have this strange idea that God can only be sovereign if He adheres to your version of sovereign. From what I have seen of your comments that would require Him to be absolutely totally sovereign. Have I got that right?

I can not speak for Dave but I think he would agree with this definition of sovereign as it relates to God:
    Sovereignty of God in Christianity can be defined primarily as the right of God to exercise his ruling power over his creation

What I do find strange about your view is that you have actually placed limits on God. You claim that God is sovereign and controls all things but then you say that He can't give man the ability to exercise a true free will. Why is that Austin? Do you really think that would make Him less than sovereign and if so how?

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's with the 'finally'? I have argued this consistently on the board for years. You are getting me confused with someone else.And I agree that God is very active in reaching out to mankind and sovereignly drawing them to Himself.
    So God's doing His best, is He; but somehow He can't quite save everyone? Poor God! I would not agree. God is active in His creation to accomplish all His will in His own time throughout the whole world.
    ]
    You seem to imagine that these verses are somehow proof texts for Arminianism or whatever it is you believe. They are not.
    You like half the Gospel, but you do not appear to be ashamed of the fact that the Gospel is the power of God unto salvation (Romans 1:16).
    God is sovereign; He does not have to do anything. He could have left us dead in our sins. 'But God, who is rich in mercy, because of the great love with which He loved us, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved)....' (Ephesians 2:4-5).
    "This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day" (John 6:39). "Father, I desire that they also whom You have given Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory...." (John 17:24).
    Now try answering that without all your pontificating.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Titus 1:2-3. '....In hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began, but has in due time manifested.....'
    God does not respond to what man has done. Man responds to God when He sovereignly calls him (Luke 5:27-28)..

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

This is the box that God has been put into and imprisoned in by those who refuse to believe the words in the scriptures. God is the creator and he could act under his attribute of sovereignty in the affairs of men if he chose to. The fact is that he has not chosen to. To deny that fact proves that the hypers have put him in their box. It is not so much that men are not free to choose in their perverted system, but God is not free to choose.

If someone could make an accurate list of the ten most insulting and perverted and God dishonoring doctrines that have ever been hatched in the minds of men who teach under the umbrella of so called main stream Christianity, then the sovereignty of God would top the list, hands down. That is if sovereignty is defined in the narrow view of men like KenH, which is all actions of all creation has been previously determined by God and everything that is done is by his appointment and direction and mandate. Sovereignty = Determinism.

Why are these men taken seriously, especially by Baptists?

#24 JD731, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "God's will determines all the choices and circumstances of his creatures, so that nothing is up to man's "free will." In fact, because God is completely sovereign, man has no free will:

All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. (Psalms 139:16)

The LORD works out everything for his own ends – even the wicked for a day of disaster. (Proverbs 16:4)

In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. (Proverbs 16:9)

A man's steps are directed by the LORD. How then can anyone understand his own way? (Proverbs 20:24)

The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases. (Proverbs 21:1)

All the peoples of the earth are regarded as nothing. He does as he pleases with the powers of heaven and the peoples of the earth. No one can hold back his hand or say to him: "What have you done?" (Daniel 4:35)

Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." (James 4:13-15)

All things are decided and caused by God – nothing is free from his control, and he has not chosen to forego his control on anything. The doctrine is repulsive to those who abhor the rule and honor of God, and so they oppose it. But the doctrine is a source of comfort and celebration to those who love him. Why would we want it any other way, than for God to rule over all things? And what better life can we wish for, than to be ruled by God?

The doctrine contradicts the religious tradition that God does not decree evil or that he does not cause evil. Of course God does not make decrees against his other decrees. Since God is not insane, he has only one will, one desire. However, there is no problem for him to issue a decree that causes his creatures to violate his precepts. Whereas decrees are declarations of intentions about things that he would cause to happen, precepts are declarations of definitions, not intentions, and do not overlap with the decrees. It must be true that God decrees and causes events that are contrary to his precepts; otherwise, there could be no evil, but there is indeed evil. Therefore, God must be the metaphysical author of sin and evil.

This does not mean that God himself is evil. To metaphysically cause evil and to morally commit evil are two different things. One is a matter of ability to cause something, while the other is a matter of conformity to a principle. The Bible teaches that God is the one who defines right and wrong, and that sin is a transgression of God's law. Therefore, for God to commit evil by causing evil – for this to be bad or wrong – he must declare a moral law that forbids himself to decree or to cause evil, that is, to decree or to cause his creatures to transgress his law. There is no biblical basis to suppose that God has declared such a law against himself. Indeed, the Bible teaches that all that God says and does are right and good. If he says it, it must be true. If he does it, it must be good. Therefore, since God is sovereign and there is evil, God must be the cause of evil, and since he is the cause of evil, it must be right and good for him to be the cause of evil.

There is no divine law that says God would be wrong if he were to be the cause of evil. Why, then, do men assume that it would be evil for God to be the author of sin? What law would God transgress? He would transgress the law of men, or what men have imposed upon him to define what a righteous God must or must not do. This is the sinister truth behind the religious tradition that says God is not the author of sin, for if he were to be such, it would mean that he has transgressed a law that men has declared against him. The necessary conclusion is that the doctrine that God is not the author of sin, or that it is blasphemy and heresy to say that he is, is itself the real blasphemy and heresy. Unless God is the author of sin and evil, he is not completely sovereign, and he is not God. Therefore, to deny that God is the author of sin and evil is to deny God.

The Bible teaches that God's decrees and actions are always right and good. Since he is completely sovereign, and there is evil in this universe, this means that he is the one who decrees and causes evil in this universe. But since his decrees and actions are always right and good, then this means that it is right and good that he is the one who decrees and causes evil in this universe. The very fact that he decrees and causes evil means that it is right and good for him to do so. There is no authority or standard higher than God by which to condemn him. If he thinks that it is good for him to cause evil, then it is good for him to cause evil.

This does not mean that evil is good, which would be a contradiction. Sin is defined as a transgression of God's moral law, and when we say that God is the author of sin, we are saying that God is the metaphysical cause of a creature's transgression of God's moral law. God transgresses no moral law, since there is no moral law against what he does, but he causes the creature to transgress. Morality relates to moral law. But there is no moral law against sovereign metaphysical power. It is right and good for God to metaphysically cause evil, just because he does it, and because he has not declared himself wrong for doing it. It is wrong for man to morally commit evil, because God has declared man wrong for doing it, although it is God who metaphysically causes man to do it. Therefore, God remains righteous, and the sinner remains evil. The distinctions are clear. There is no paradox or contradiction, and also no biblical or logical basis for objection against the doctrine.

Does this make God a tyrant? If the word simply means, "an absolute ruler," then of course God is a tyrant. And since he is the sole moral authority, the very fact that he is a tyrant means that he ought to be one, that it is good and just for him to be one. The negative connotations of the word apply only to human beings, since no man is worthy of absolute authority or capable to wield it. But God is "an absolute ruler" – that is what it means to be God."

- Vincent Cheung, Systematic Theology

(emphasis mine)

#25 KenH, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  6. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sliverhair theology: "Man must, before God can.,"
    I should have said Sliverhair as I misread that you were speaking to Dave and wrote the garbage you wrote.

It's funny how you make claims that are false. Tell me where do I agree that "Man must...before God can",which is your graceless mantra.

My question has and is one that you refuse to answer.

Who causes a man to believe? Is it God or is it man?

It is quite obvious you have embraced open theism where God simply doesn't know and therefore reacts to humans whom he cannot cause to do anything. In your world, humans determine the destiny of the world and God must react in order to try keep his plans in track.
    Such a god is not found in the Bible, yet your demand for free will requires you worship the god of your imagination.

7. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your comments actually point to the difference in how we see God's character. You require God to be in total control of all things to the point that man is unable to make any real choices. Whereas I see God as one that loves His creation and desires to have a real relationship with them. God wants His creation to love Him and want to worship Him but that can not be forced as Calvinism would have it. To truly love requires a free will which means the ability to also reject that love.

Whether you run to your WCF, LBCF, DoG or TULIP they all point to the same thing, POWER. Calvinists require God to be in total control. Even your understanding of the sovereignty of God points to that. For the Calvinist God has to decree all things or He has to use Irresistible Grace to force people to love Him and logically what kind of love is that?

Martin it really is to bad that you will not just trust what the bible says
    Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

I know this is going to sound strange to you but the ones that God gives to the Son are those that believe. Calvinists seem to think God can force people to believe, sorry but that does not happen. That is why God is actively working in and through His creation, our conscience, His bride, His Holy Spirit filled followers, and His Word to aid humanity in their conversion.

There is a “drawing” or “preparing” which precedes our actual conversion. The Bible is full of injunctions to act—people are called G2564 to repent G3340, to believe G4100, to come G2240, to decide G1252, and so forth.

You do not seem to know what I believe, well that should be clear from my answers to you. The BIBLE.

8. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    God calls us to Him but man has to respond.

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
    Joh 3:17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
    Joh 3:18 "He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

How can you miss the choices shown in these verses? Are you so locked into your Calvinist theology that you refuse to trust what God has said?

9. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    “But,” asked Christian, “will your custom stand up in a court of law?”

They replied, “This custom of entering the way by taking a shortcut has been going on as a long-standing practice for more than a thousand years and would be ruled as a legal practice by any impartial judge. And besides,” they added, “as long as we get into the way, what does it matter how we get in? If we are in, we are in. You came into the way through the narrow gate, and we came tumbling over the wall, and since we are both in, who is to say that your chosen path is better than ours?”

Christian told them, “I walk by the rule of my Master; you walk by the rude working of your own notions.

Formalist and Hypocrisy Taking a Shortcut

• Like Like x 1
  10. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do love to throw around baseless pejoratives don't you. You are acting like the average troll that we find online. What I have found in dealing with various Calvinists on this and other boards is that you love hyperbole and seem to have a very loose relationship with reality.

You Austin seem to spend most of your time engaging in ad hominem attacks. That you do not like an answer does not mean that an answer has not been given but this is a concept that has escaped you.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! I've gained the "like KenH" status. Woohoo!!!!

[​IMG]

12. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When is anyone ever ashamed to advance a doctrine like that?

13. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist

14. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have a auto responder to my posts?

15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have an answer to the question?

*Ephesians 2:4-5*
    But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—

16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what we have here is called an antinomy, referring to “a real or apparent mutual incompatibility of two laws.”

“What should one do, then, with an antinomy?
    Accept it for what it is, and learn to live with it.
    Refuse to regard the apparent inconsistency as real; put down the semblance of contradiction to the deficiency of your own understanding; think of the two principles as, not rival alternatives, but, in some way that at present you do not grasp, complementary to each other.
    Be careful, therefore, not to set them at loggerheads, nor to make deductions from either that would cut across the other (such deductions would, for that very reason, be certainly unsound).
    Use each within the limits of its own sphere of reference (I.e., the area delimited by the evidence from which the principle has been drawn).
    Note what connections exist between the two truths and their two frames of reference, and teach yourself to think of reality in a way that provides for their peaceful coexistence, remembering that reality itself has proved actually to contain them both.

Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God. by J. I. Packer. 1961. p.21
    Rob

17. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many times now Austin? What's that old expression " only a fool keeps asking the same question over and over expecting a different result" Are you a fool Austin?

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the end of the day, God is the uncaused cause of everything. Now to the question did God compel by predestination our acceptance or rejection of Christ? That answer is no.

Were we saved by grace? Yes, salvation is a gift from God.

Were we saved by grace through faith? Yes, God utilized our faith in His sovereign decision to save us or not. This is the truth, found over and over in scripture that Reformed Theology denies. They read saved through faith as meaning saved, then given faith. I kid you not...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They certainly do!
    Actually, God requires God to be in total control of all things.
    Isaiah 42:8, 16. 'I am the LORD, that is My name; and My glory I will not give to another. ............ I will bring the blind by a way they did not know; I will lead them in paths they have not known. I will make darkness light before them, and crooked places straight. These things I will do for them, and not forsake them.' Your problem is that your god is too small and self-effacing. 'I, even I, am the LORD, and besides Me there is no saviour' (Isaiah 43:11). And that includes man himself.
    On the contrary, man makes real choices, but because of his fallen nature, man is not able to do real good in God's eyes Please take time to read Genesis 8:21; Isaiah 64:6; Jeremiah 10:23; Jeremiah 13:23, and of course Romans 3:10-18. But, though man makes real choices, in all things God is utterly sovereign. A man's heart plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps' (Proverbs 16:9). I praise Him that He directed mine, when my free-will was inclined quite the opposite direction.
    Oh! Poor God! He so wants to be loved and worshipped, but He can't seem to manage it. Maybe your god, Silverhair, should join a lonely hearts club.. This bears no resemblance to the true and living God, who has made all things for Himself. He has opened the eyes of the spiritually blind to see Him in all His beauty and glory; He has unstopped the ears of the deaf to hear His gracious words of salvation; He has strengthened the legs of the lame so that they come to Him in repentance and faith, and given life to those dead in sins so that they will live in Him forever. And the proper response to this is not to cavil about free-will but to worship and adore!

I'm done here. I have a life outside this forum and I can't be doing with this sort of argument any longer.

20. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your comments just point out the error of Calvinism. Like many Calvinists you do not want to admit that the bible does not support your view so you attempt to belittle anyone that shows you how failed your theology is. I have pointed out on this board that the root of your theology is the pagan ideas that Augustine brought into the church and which Calvin carried forward. I know others on here have denied these truths but it does not take much time to prove what I have said.

Calvinist's require God to be in total control of all things but balk at the logical outcome of that view which makes God the only cause agent and thus the author of all sin and evil in the world.

Funny how you make ta long speech about what God has done so that man can respond to His invitation but under your Calvinist theology man does not have that ability to do so. Then you add that man is just to worship and adore Him but how truthful would those be coming from the all controlling Calvinist God. It would not be true worship or adoration would it?

The only true worship and adoration can come is from those that freely do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.