1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Tabernacle

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by SammyB, Jan 27, 2008.

1. SammyB

SammyB New Member

I've started reading through the Bible this year and am currently in Exodus 26 where God is giving Moses the plan for the Tabernacle. In the past, I've done studies on the Tabernacle and even build a model when our children were small. But this time, I had this random thought: I wonder what one of those curtains in Exodus 26:8 must have weighed? So, I did a Google search and was sorry. How can so much creepy stuff be written about something that speaks so much of Jesus? (Guess I answered that question: mysteries, yes; Jesus, no -- 1 Timothy 1:4). Anyway, has anyone done any weight calculations on the Tabernacle or know of a good reference? Also, a related question: one of the shaky web sites that I looked at briefly said that the Ark of the Covenant was way too heavy to be carried by the priests and that the gold rings would have never been able to support the weight, so the Ark must have been able to move about on it own; in other words, "the Talmudic saying for this is: 'The Ark bore its bears and passed.'" The site went on to say that there are references in scripture to support this, but, of course, gave no references except Isaiah 46:1-5 which doesn't seem to me to have anything to do with it. Has anyone done any study on this? Thanks & Blessings! --Sam :tonofbricks:

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Sammy

You'll want to read the book, The Tabernacle: Camping with God, by the late great theologian, Dr. Stephen Olford

You can pick his book up on his web page www.olford.org

As moderator, though I must inform you that you have originally posted in a Baptist Only forum----because your profile reads you are non-denominational I am going to move this post to the non-denominational forum where I believe you will receive a good response to your subject.

Bro. David
    aka blackbird

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The ark "did not move on it's own". It was caried by four men of the tribe of Levi.

4. SammyB

SammyB New Member

Arggg, busted! :tear: Can I claim that it is a non-denominational Baptist church? Anyway, thanks for the good book reference. I read the 15 pages that were in Google, but nothing on weights; however there are 140 pages remaining, so maybe there is something. Seem to remember Lessons from the Tabernacle on my bookshelf: wonder where it is? Anyone else out there have a Tabernacle book that estimates the weights? --Sam