1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The thread-starter seems empty without some Sabbath-topic

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The thread-starter seems empty without some Sabbath-topic

It's like Church without congregation; teaching and preaching without hearing; loving without fellowship ...

Church without Sabbath? Doctrine without coming to knowledge? Ever working, never resting? Christ dying, but never triumphed; God always working, never to finish?

That is how this forum looks to me, if not someone has something to say about God's Good Day.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Christ the Creator's Holy Day was "MADE for MANKIND" and not mankind "MADE for the Sabbath" Mark 2:27 - speaking of creation week and His "MAKING" of both the Sabbath AND mankind!

It is a day in the New Heaven and new earth when "From Sabbath to Sabbath ALL MANKIND will come before Me to worship" Is 66.

In Rev 14 we are told to "Worship HIM WHO MADE the heavens and the earth the sea and springs of water" --

Makes you wonder how much of the Bible we should "ignore" to cling to our man-made traditions "anyway".

What did you think of D.L Moody's strong support of Christ the Creator's Sabbath?

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And now it seems all wrong if BobRyan doesn't spoil it all!

Have you nothing POSITIVE - i.e., Christian - to say concerning the Sabbath? Like Paul, who speaks of the Sabbath in cintext of Christian celebration and freedom in Colossians 2:16. Why whip, while you couls steal people's heart for the cause of God's Sabbath day?

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    errr umm

the reference to D.L.Moody's support of Sabbath was "positive".

The reference to the Sabbath MADE FOR mankind was "positive".

The reference to the Sabbath and the UNITY of ALL MANKIND in the future that ALL come before God on Sabbath to worship was "positive".

How do you get something "negative" out of everything?

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All right, I admit and repent!

But Moody did NOT write about the Seventh Day - he meant the Sunday - and I have spoken to you about this before, and you seem not to have grasped for lack of interest or for lack of eyes?

Then the new earth still has to come and doesn't help us who are living in or on the New earth in the sense of the Christian dispensation and of Christ's rule and Kingship.

I have never seen you apply the Sabbath's eschatology to Christ. Therein you miss out on all the positive about the Sabbath.

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    D.L. Moody ENDORSED the 4 th commandment and explicitly stated that his fellow Christians CONDEMNED the 4th commandment - the SABBATH commandment.

D.L.Moody ADMITTED that the Sabbath commandment applied to ALL mankind and is as much in force today AS IT WAS in Genesis 2:3!

That is a huge step forward compared to what we read here.

You seem to like to complain "anyway" - but I see a lot of benefit to it.

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yours is FALSE propaganda for the Sabbath of the LORD your God; it does NOT need it. In fact, is like the presentation of one's self-righteousness in the last judgement. I won't help at all. On the contrary it is most contra-productive. It was a sad day some people started with such tricks on behalf of God's Holy Day. And saddest was that on that same day they discarded the ONLY Christian reason for the Sabbath of the LORD your God: Namely, That "in it God RESTED" - in and through and by Jesus Christ - "WHEN" - on that day, the Seventh Day (of the week) "Sabbath" - "God raised Him from the dead ... by the EXCEEDING GREATNESS OF HIS POWER".

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

[b]Mr. Gladstone recently told a friend that the secret of his long life is that amid all the pressure of public cares he never forgot the Sabbath, with its rest for the body and the soul.

• When I was a boy, the Sabbath lasted from sundown on Saturday to sundown on Sunday,

Make the Sabbath a day of religious activity. First of all, of course, is attendance at public worship. "There is a discrepancy," says John McNeill, "between our creed about the Sabbath day and our actual conduct. In many families, at ten o'clock on the Sabbath, attendance at church is still an open question. There is no open question on Monday morning- 'John, will you go to work today.'"

Someone has said that without the Sabbath, the Church of Christ could not, as a visible organization, exist on earth.

Parents, if you want your children to grow up and honor you, have them honor the Sabbath day.

SABBATH DESECRATION
    Men seem to think they have a right to change the holy day into a holiday. The young have more temptations to break the Sabbath than we had forty years ago.[/b]
    PUNISHMENT OR BLESSING?
    No nation has ever prospered that has trampled the Sabbath in the dust. Show me a nation that has done this and I will show you a nation that has got in it the seeds of ruin and decay. I believe that Sabbath desecration will carry a nation down quicker than anything else. Adam brought marriage and the Sabbath with him out of Eden, and neither can be disregarded without suffering. When the children of Israel went into the Promised Land, God told them to let their land rest every seven years, and He would give them as much in six years as in seven. For four hundred and ninety years they disregarded that law. But mark you, Nebuchadnezzar came and took them off into Babylon, and kept them seventy years in captivity, and the land had its seventy sabbaths of rest. Seven times seventy is four hundred and ninety. So they did not gain much by breaking this law. You can give God His day, or He will take it.

On the other hand, honoring the fourth commandment brings blessing:

"If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on My holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it." (Isaiah 58:13-14)

? Hasn't the time come to call a halt if men want power with God? Let men call you narrow and bigoted, but be man enough to stand by God's law, and you will have power and blessing. That is the kind of Christianity we want just now in this country. [/b]Any man can go with the crowd, but we want men who will go against the current.

Sabbath-breaker, are you ready to step into the scales?

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You even highlighted the hours of which day Moody speaks of as the Sabbath. Which day do you propagate, BobRyan? I thought it was the true Sabbath?