1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Unknown John R. Rice

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by John of Japan, Oct 6, 2021.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With this thread I'd like to share some things from my personal knowledge and from the extensive research I did for my new biography of John R. Rice, the famous revivalist. Feel free to share your own memories or thoughts or knowledge. By the way, I'll probably share a few things that are not in my or any other biography. In the interest of full disclosure, for those new to the BB or who do not know me, John R. Rice was my grandfather.

In the 1930's Rice was an itinerant evangelist, having tent meetings throughout Texas. In 1931 he held a tent meeting on the lawn of the county courthouse of Sherman. The courthouse was gone, having been burned down in the previous year during the famous Sherman Riot. The riot was about George Hughes, a young black man who was accused of raping a white woman. The young man was lynched, and other crimes occurred, such as the arson of the homes of several African Americans. Regardless, Rice set up a tent seating 1000, and a great revival happened, with hundreds saved.

Rice started a new church there not because he wanted to but because the local SBC church rejected the converts. The church still exist today, though under a different name. The revival was significant enough in Texas history that there is an historical marker honoring it: [Texas Historical Commission Marker: Grayson Bible Baptist Church]

It must be said here that Rice hated racist violence. He wrote years later: “What difference is there in a night-riding Ku Klux Klansman in America who beats offending Jews or negroes or foreigners, and a German machine-gunner, strafing refugees in Poland with a machine gun? At heart they are one"[1]
    [1] John R. Rice, World-Wide War and the Bible (Wheaton: Sword of the Lord, 1940), 60.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John,

Would it not be good to start with his parents and with him, as a child, standing by the grave of his mother, and later riding by horseback to college?
    Don't forget to include his brother, Bill.

Personally, it won't be long until "I'll See Him Again." (title of a song written after a sermon by John R. Rice at Lavon Drive Baptist Church, by Julian Thomas)

I look forward to reading with great interest what you post!

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the input, aged man. His life as a child is well covered in the standard biographies, but I'm aiming at little known facts and events in this thread.

I heard Ray Hart sing that beautiful song, and used to have his cassette tape. I found it here on Youtube, complete with words by John R. Rice from the sermon:

4. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John,

Thank you for the listen. It has been a number of years since I last heard Ray’s voice.

I miss Ray, and the sweet fellowship we had.

Somewhere I have the original accompaniment reel to reel tape that Julian made to send to Ray to sing. When Julian got the finished recording, he called to find out if they sent the right one. He was told that although Ray had attempted many times, he was never able to get through the recording without breaking down. They sent Julian the best of the recordings made.

I happened to be there to hear your grandfather’s sermon and the witness the earliest working out of Julian’s song.

On a side note, Al Smith, who I also miss, stopped by LDBC, and Julian showed him what he was doing asking how was the best way to proceed. Al said, “Tell the story.” So Julian did.

Now you know some more of the story.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a blessing to know "the rest of the story." Thank you!

You know, LDBC supported us all our years in Japan. On our last furlough, they had the most awesome missionary conference I've ever been in.

6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was so disappointed when they gave room to the worldly modern worship service presentation.

When I passed through there during the late seventies through the eighties, I enjoyed a great fellowship with the staff and membership. Haven’t been around that area for a number of years now.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry to hear about the change in music style. We were last there in 2012, and I believe their service was traditional then.

#7 John of Japan, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John R. Rice's first experience with revival was when he was just a boy of fifteen. One day he began reading through Acts 2 and was thrilled at what God did there, with 3,000 souls saved. Here is an excerpt from my book about what happened next:

"One day his pastor invited him to pray with him for a revival in the nearby little cow town of Dundee, in a tiny church with only five members. The pastor preached and young John became the song leader. Nothing happened at first. No Christians were revived and no souls saved, so the boy began to fast and pray. One day the two of them went out into the woods to pray. The pastor asked, 'What do you want today, John?' The boy thought and then said, 'I have a burden for one person to be saved.' The pastor agreed, they prayed together, and sure enough, one precious soul trusted Christ as Savior!

"The next day they prayed for three to be saved, and so it was! The next day they prayed for five to be saved, and young John added, 'I want one of them to be Red Stone, and one to be Bill Palm.' That prayer was answered too, with five saved, including those very two souls! That small revival was when two things happened: the future evangelist learned that God answers prayer, and he won his first soul to Jesus Christ. During the invitation of one service, John noticed a young boy of fourteen named Albert sitting in front of him and clearly under conviction, and he urged him to raise his hand for salvation and then trust Christ. Albert did raise his hand timidly, but the preacher did not ask for folks to come forward, so young John took him outdoors and there led him to Jesus Christ. What a thrill he got from this—an event he never forgot and one which inspired his future."

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is "worldly worship?"

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haven't posted here lately, but still plan to. Maybe tomorrow I can post something longer. In the meantime, a couple of new facts I uncovered in my research, things that I myself did not know.

First of all, John R. Rice wrote in one of his books that he prayed about 100 times a day. He just gave the bare figure, with no explanation. Did he actually count the times? Or was he just saying he prayed much?

Next, I learned from one of his letters in the John R. Rice Papers at Southwestern BTS that he liked Johnny Cash! Really! Well, Rice was an old cowboy, and Cash sang cowboy songs, so it shouldn't be surprising.

Rice had fond memories of his teen years as a Texas cowboy, so he kept horses and cows on his property (an old farm) in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. He also liked the western novels of Zane Gray and Louis L'Amour.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't read any of the stories by Zane or L'Amour. But I do have L'Amour's autobiography Education of a Wandering Man. I have underlined a great deal of his observations about various parts of the world and his favorite pieces of literature. Regrettably, he wasn't a believer to my knowledge and what he reveals in his book.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, fascinating writer. My wife and both read his books, and we have the Sackett Companion by him (title? ) which is a lot of fun.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a big, public dispute between John R. Rice and Bob Jones, Jr., in 1971-1972. The main issues were how to define the verbal inspiration of the Bible (Rice liked the word "dictate," following theologians like Gaussen), and secondary separation. However, there was another issue that I did not know about until I did research in the John R. Rice Papers at Southwestern.

Rice believed very strongly in the possibility of revival anywhere and any time. Jones was also an evangelist, but did not believe in the possibility of revival in these days. I have had this view of Jones verified to me by one who knew him well.

I was also astounded to learn that Rice was the one who initiated the break with a 7 page letter in the Fall of 1971. I was at Bob Jones U. at the time, and lived through the whole mess; I thought that Jones was the one who broke off from Rice. However, this letter was very eye opening to me. Rice was very frustrated with Jones, Jr., at the time.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you know that Bob Jones Jr. went all the way to England to meet C.S. Lewis? Junior said that aside from the pipe smoking and liquor drinking, he was a Christian.
    Dr. David M-L-J went to one of his lectures and they had lunch together. but MLJ didn't regard Lewis as a reliable spokesman for Christianity. Lewis was an unorthodox man. I've read some of his books --not the fantasies, but he pales next to stalwarts of the Faith during his lifetime.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't know that about Jones, Jr., but it doesn't surprise me. He was a great lover of art and literature.

I agree with MLJ and you about Lewis. I've read most of his books, both fiction and non-fiction. His book on the Psalms is especially bad.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lewis held to Myth in the Bible, as he did not hold to the bible being inspired by God! saw Genesis as some type of myth illustrating truth to us!

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting that one is an evangelist and yet holds that God will not revive us any more!

18. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you have this volume?
    John R.Rice bible stories
    It has an image on the cover of Daniel in the Lions den?
    SLP....publications....1979

58 stories,.....445 pages

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian