1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Unpardonable Sin

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, May 2, 2022.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the unpardonable sin?
    Is there more than one?

We do see in the Bible in Matt 12:31, Mark 3:28 and Luke 12:10 which calls it blasphemy?

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As has been said many times before the unpardonable sin is unbelief of the gospel of Christ. Jesus is the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through (or by means of) Him.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But we were forgiven that sin. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Think was a unique situation, as could only happen when Jesus was physically here, as they saw His miracles and called him demon possessed

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As has been said many times before the unpardonable sin is unbelief of the gospel of Christ. That is why we should not pray for the salvation of who remain non-believers.

1 John 5:16
    If anyone sees his brother or sister committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask and God will, for him, give life to those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death; I am not saying that he should ask about that.​

Now there are many interpretations of 1 John 5:16, and experts are divided as to its intended message. Here is my opinion:
    The wages of sin is death, but God has offered deliverance from that consequence, for those who believe in Jesus Christ. He is the way, the truth and the life, thus the only sin that leads to death is rejection of the gospel of Christ. We are not to pray that God would alter His redemption plan and save those that do not believe fully in Christ Jesus.

Note that we can reject Christ for almost our entire life, but then come to our senses and believe into Him and obtain everlasting life. But if we physically die, while still in the state of unbelief - our "faith" having not been credited by God as righteousness - we will end up in the Lake of Fire.

Some point to blasphemy against the Holy Spirit but actually that refers to rejecting Christ's miracles as a demonstration to authenticate His gospel. All roads, in my opinion, lead to the conclusion that rejection of the gospel is the sin leading to death.

#5 Van, May 2, 2022
    Last edited: May 2, 2022
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But we once we're guilty of the sin of unbelief. (I'm not saying you are wrong, just thinking "out loud").

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have heard that as well.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See my updated post #5.

Thus rather than praying God should deliver someone by some other means, we should pray for repentance and belief in the truth. That would lead to us witnessing effectively as ambassadors of Christ.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tend to agree with you.

Disbelief is a sin, and there are no provisions for forgiveness except through Christ.

10. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The context of the sin that will not be forgiven is attributing the work of God Holy Spirit to Satan or his demons. It is called blasphemy, as you noted.

I don’t think Jesus meant it to only include miracles of healing, but any work of God, Holy Spirit. That would include someone coming to salvation.

Peace to you

11. JesusFan

When were we?

12. JesusFan

ALL are born into that condition

13. JesusFan

The lost Pharisees seemed to be the stiff necked lot though that had a "special" hatred towards the Lord Jesus, as they indeed showed by their fruit that their spiritual father was satan

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Upon true repentance.

Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out Acts 3:29

And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors Matthew 6:12

Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon Isaiah 55:7

I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,” and you forgave the iniquity of my sin.
    Psalm 32:5

If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you Matthew 6:14

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 1 John 2:1

And that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem Luke 24:47

Go, and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, “‘Return, faithless Israel, declares the Lord. I will not look on you in anger, for I am merciful, declares the Lord; I will not be angry forever. Jeremiah 3:12

For if you return to the Lord, your brothers and your children will find compassion with their captors and return to this land. For the Lord your God is gracious and merciful and will not turn away his face from you, if you return to him.”. 2 Chronicles 30:9

If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. 1 John 1:8-10

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would view it it as rejection of the ministry of the Comforter:

Mark 3:28-29 King James Version

28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:

29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

The Spirit of God has always moved in and through the hearts of men. Stephen charges Israel that they resisted the Holy Ghost when they killed the Prophets:

Acts 7:51-52 King James Version

51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

52 Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:

The Spirit of God is the One Who gave the Prophets the Gospel (howbeit veiled at the time), and by rejecting the Prophets they were essentially rejecting Christ. Even in its veiled form the Gospel of Christ gave hope through God of salvation. To reject the salvation of God as given by the Holy Ghost is to reject the only means of salvation available to men in any Age.

The Writer of Hebrews mentions this:

Hebrews 10:26-29 King James Version

26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:

29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

In this Age, it is the Holy Spirit, performing the specific ministry of the Comforter Who brings conviction of sin to the unbeliever:

John 16:7-9 King James Version

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

Paul also mentions something that has been a source of debate over the centuries, but for me seems pretty clear:

2 Thessalonians 2:6-7 King James Version

6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.

7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

2 Thessalonians 2:6-7 New American Standard Bible

6 And you know what restrains him now, so that he will be revealed in his time. 7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only [a]He who now restrains will do so until He is [c]removed.

I have included the NASB because this is one the passages where there is an Old English word that has changed in meaning/usage over the years (letteth/restrains).

I believe the Holy Spirit in the Body of Christ is the Restrainer. It is the Body of Christ that heads up the work of seeking to see men saved, and that they might hear the Gospel. It is the Body that the Comforter performs His ministry through, though He is not dependent on the Body (just don't want to imply He has to work through us). He speaks directly to the hearts of men, and it is He that enlightens the natural mind that the natural man can receive and perceive the spiritual things of God.

When the Body of Christ is removed from the world in the Rapture, this particular "restraint" will also cease. God will not always strive with man, and His longsuffering will end at this time. The result will be ...

2 Thessalonians 2:11-12 King James Version

11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

He will leave men to the destructive intents of their hearts. All men need for strong delusion to run rampant is for God to do nothing. To stop seeking to convict them of sin and lead them to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

God bless.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Darrell,

I think I see what you are saying, and I do believe that there can come a time when "grieving the Spirit" results in a withdrawal (leaving man to his own devices).

Is that what you are speaking of as the "unpardonable sin" (a point where the Spirit is withdrawn)?

I ask because your comments about Steven made me think of Paul as a persecuter who eventually believed.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The unpardonable sin is rejecting the ministry the Spirit of God has always performed among men, and that is to reveal truth to the hearts of men, that they might have a divine (God-given) object of faith. In the Old Testament that "object of faith" was ultimately the salvation God said He would provide through the "seed" of the woman. THat is the first occurrence of the Gospel of Christ. We understand it better than Adam did, because we are on this side of the Cross and have the commentary concerning the Seed (singular) in Scripture.

So when men reject the Spirit's ministry they are rejecting the only means of salvation God has ever provided. That is what the Writer of Hebrews is speaking about here:

Hebrews 10:26-29 King James Version

26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

If one rejects the only sacrifice that can save him—there remains "no other sacrifice."

This isn't speaking about Christians sinning generally and running out of options, but is a clear contrast between the sacrifices the First-Century Jew looked to for remission of sins and the Sacrifice of Christ. If the Sacrifice of Christ is rejected there is no other to turn to. Meaning, "My Hebrew brethren, do not look to the sacrifices of the Law for remission of sins," as seen also here:

Hebrews 6:6 King James Version

6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

They "crucify Christ again" in figure, shadow, and parable, just as all sacrifices for remission of sins pictured Christ's death. For the Hebrew to fall away from the truth and to offer up sacrifices of the Law again was to reject His Sacrifice and "crucify Christ again.

Going back to chapter ten, we see ...

27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:

29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

In view are those who reject the will of God. Under the Covenant of Law (Moses' Law), men were put to death physically.

The "...much sorer punishment" is eternal judgment because they have "done despite unto the Spirit of Grace," the Holy Spirit—the Comforter.

So the unpardonable sin is rejecting God, ultimately, and His attempt to bring men to saving knowledge. God the Spirit will, I believe, give every man and woman opportunity to be saved, and when they stand before Him they will know they can't say—"But you never told me!"

Hey, have a blessed Lord's Day, Jon, may God richly bless you with His Word this morning.

God bless.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also wanted to mention, in regards to Stephen, that Stephen is basically accusing them of rejecting the ministry of the Spirit. He points to the murder of those before him who also carried the Words of Life.

God bless.

19. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think when the Church is raptured the restraint performed by the Holy Ghost will cease, and that is when God will actually allow men to believe that which isn't true. I think that has a specific focus of allowing men to believe that Antichrist is their savior-god.

God bless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this has a temporal aspect right now: God will come to a point in the lives of men and women where He will cease to seek to bring conviction in their hearts.

That is probably one of the most fearful concepts we will see in Scripture, in my view.

Okay, really leaving this time,

God bless.

• Agree Agree x 1