1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The US is still part of Great Britian

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Salty, Apr 19, 2007.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

All of this would be moot if there was an international statute of limitations on war (retaking real estate). 10 years after a war ends, title to real estate passes to the winner.

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't she come to bet the crown jewels on a longshot at the Kentucky Derby?

3. Ralph III

Ralph III New Member

That was worth reposting, for the Queens sake. I made it a little larger for extra measure :laugh:

just kidding

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

She is no more queen of Ireland that she is the US. That should be Northern Ireland.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I would trade them New Jersey for Ireland.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The title of this thread is true only if the Netherlands and Mexico still belong to Spain and Switzerland belongs to Austria,

7. AAA

AAA New Member

Interesting story...............

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

I knew it.

Tony Blair's running for President, isn't he?

9. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Yes, originally an "esquire" was a trainee knight, and later came to mean someone like a Justice of the Peace (JP) who "bear any office of trust under the crown", but it also came to be used far more widely, placed after a man's name as a mark of respect, instead of "Mr" before the name. In such usage, no particular relationship to "the crown" is implied. I remember in primary school (similar to US "elementary school", I think) when learning how to address envelopes correctly, being taught that it was incorrect to write "Mr R Jones, Esq." It should be either "R. Jones, Esq." or "Mr R Jones". That was back in the late 1950s. (Nowadays in the UK such usage has all but died out).

An online etymological dictionary says about the word Esquire:

1374, from M.Fr. esquier "squire," lit. "shield-bearer" (for a knight), from O.Fr., from L. scutarius "shield-bearer, guardsman," from scutum "shield" (see hide (n.1)). Cf. squire. Originally the feudal rank below knight, sense broadened 16c. to a general title of courtesy or respect for the educated class, especially, later, in U.S., for lawyers.

So you cannot rightly use the fact that Benjamin Franklin, John Jay and John Adams put "Esquire" (or "Esq.") after their names to add weight to your theory that the US is still a British colony.