1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The value of books

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JonC -- thank you for clarifying my position. You're spot on.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, Don. I'm still not sure that I communicated well enough...but I gave it my best shot.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

John, I have read many books. And that is one reason I do not read them now, because I realized one thing a LONG time ago. You can find books that support a given view, and you can find just as many books that refute that view. In the end, you are going to have to read God's word to determine what the truth is.

You come on here every week with a different view, because you do not read the scriptures or think for yourself. You are "tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine" as the Bible says.

Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

John, most of these guys are just making a buck off of you.

Save your money, pay your bills, read the Bible and ask God every night to show you what his Word means. You'll be surprised what you learn.

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

But reading other's writings will cause you to dig deeper in His word, imo. It's a win-win, imo...

5. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course.

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

If all you do is read Reformed writers, what are you going to believe?

If all you do is read Catholic writers, what are you going to believe?

If all you do is read the Watchtower, what are you going to believe?

You are what you eat, and you think what you read.

Start reading some Arminian books for a couple of months and see how your present perspective changes. :thumbsup:

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

There's nothing wrong with reading those with opposing views. It will either change or strengthen your belief(s), imo...

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you intentionally avoid listening to Calvinistic preaching as you have said many times --what are ya' gonna' believe Wm?

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Oh yeah? I challenge you to read nothing but Arminian works for three months. Come back here and tell me if your views have changed.

Here ya go,

http://evangelicalarminians.org/links-and-books/

Here's a good site, won't cost you a penny. I challenge you to go here and read nothing but Arminian articles for three months and see if your views do not change.

Go ahead, let's see if it strengthens your beliefs.

At the least it is a good experiment.

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Will you do the same and read nothing but Calvinist's writings?

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

I read Reformed authors all the time and often quote them here. I have shown articles from R.C. Sproul, John MacArthur, Spurgeon, and many others many times.

I also read articles by Arminians at times. I watch videos by Calvinists and Arminians all the time on YouTube. Here is a good video I watched this week.

Warning! this video might challenge your current dogma!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eQKu3_9pgk

Better not watch this video!

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have said over and over again that you never have, and never will listen to any Calvinist preach.

I can't watch it --it's blocked here.

#32 Rippon, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

*****bumparoo*****

14. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    YES, absolutely! That's the function of the preaching of the gospel, to feed the flock.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

I can honestly say I have been reading Calvinist, or heavily influenced by Calvinist writings for most of my life. I read Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God over 30 years ago!

I used to buy books and materials from John MacArthur back in the 80s! Absolutely true.

So, you've got a lot of reading Arminian writings to catch up with me, get going.

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

Care to document and show where I said that?

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winman, who are your favorite Arminian/semi-Pelagain authors?

18. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. Honestly now? Absolutely true?:

#38 kyredneck, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  19. Winman

Winman Active Member

I don't have any. I used to like John R. Rice, he was "free will". I used to read lots of his little books and pamphlets years ago. I used to like Curtis Hutson, in fact I had a subscription to Sword of the Lord for quite a few years. But that is also where I ordered and read writings by Jonathan Edwards and other famous Calvinist preachers.

Both my parents were Methodists, but I've never read any Methodist books that I am aware of.

I have read a few articles at that Arminian site I posted a link for Willis, but only a few.

I have read Calvinist material probably 50 to 1 versus Arminian material. Absolutely true.

I read the Watchtower for years, because my father who did not know better used to give donations to JWs who roamed our neighborhood. These writings caused me a lot of confusion when I was a teen, but I soon discovered it was false and got away from it. Bad stuff.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

That was true, I owned one commentary, Matthew Henry, and that was a gift. I lost it years ago, don't know where it is.

Churches I went to always had racks with little pamphlets from John R. Rice and Sword of the Lord, I would read those on occasion. Hardly theological studies, and did not advance Arminianism.

I read a bunch of good books on the Bible version controversy back in the 80s. Reading these books especially convinced me that you can always find writers who support one side of a view or the other. That is when I stopped reading other people's writings and mostly just read the Bible.