1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Word for God

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Feb 1, 2019.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry I missed this, Marty. Didn't mean to ignore you.

I personally would have no objection to the Nestorian term if the national partners thought it was good. In recent years some have been reexamining the Nestorians. See: Partial Rehabilitation of Nestorius

Aye, there is the problem. Usually context would tell that God is meant, but other times would be confusing.

Yes, and here is that possibility from Matt. 11:25 in the Chinese Union Version: 天地的主, "Heaven-Earth-poss. particle--Lord." (It's the same in Luke 10:21 and Acts 17:24.)

Actually, there is a different character for strictly "spirit" to which "holy" is added, making it 聖霊 in both Chinese and Japanese.

As I said above, the CUV can be bought in either a Shang Ti or a Shen version, and is the standard Chinese Bible in either one. Some prefer one, some prefer another. I'm pretty sure, though, that this is a recent development.

When I was in Japanese language school, a lot of Bible smuggling was going on into China, and I was given some of those Bibles, which were in the CUV Shen version. I was thrilled to be able to pass these out to all my Chinese friends at the language school, and they were gladly accepted, except by one young lady from Taiwan. The Bibles were in the simplified mainland characters, which were illegal to use in Taiwan. Praise the Lord, though; she took a Chinese tract and started going to church.

"Jehovah" is transliterated in Ex. 6:3 as 耶和華, with the first one being a phonetic character (pronounced yē), and the next two being "peace" and "flower." Not ideal if used consistently for "God," though it wouldn't surprise me if a JW Chinese Bible had done that.

#21 John of Japan, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1