1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The World in Johannine theology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, May 15, 2020.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's evident that 'go unto all the kosmos' did not include non-Jews to the eleven.

“The Scriptures are to be taken in the sense attached to them in the age and by the people to whom they were addressed.” Charles Hodge

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is how I addressed that assertion:

3. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's NOT what the audience understood.

So you're giving Peter credit for figuring it out all on his own? After been given three visions from above to convince him that "What God hath cleansed, make not thou common"?

This was a shocker to Peter and the other Jews that accompanied them:

34 And Peter opened his mouth and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
    44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Spirit fell on all them that heard the word.
    45 And they of the circumcision that believed were amazed, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 10

4. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for changing your mind. Colossians 2:11-15

11 Also it was in union with him that you were circumcised with a circumcision not done by human hands, but accomplished by stripping away the old nature’s control over the body. In this circumcision done by the Messiah,
    12 you were buried along with him by being immersed; and in union with him, you were also raised up along with him by God’s faithfulness that worked when he raised Yeshua from the dead.
    13 You were dead because of your sins, that is, because of your “foreskin,” your old nature. But God made you alive along with the Messiah by forgiving you all your sins.
    14 He wiped away the bill of charges against us. Because of the regulations, it stood as a testimony against us; but he removed it by nailing it to the execution-stake.
    15 Stripping the rulers and authorities of their power, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by means of the stake.

It all happened on the cross as Paul explained.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) You do not know what each person in his audience understood the message, it is therefore simply an argument from silence.
    2) Did I say Peter figured it out on his own? Of course not, so now you are misrepresenting my view.
    3) The fact the new covenant was for everyone, rather than just Jews, was news, but that does not mean it is wrong.

Here is the basic truth, when the Apostle John used "world" almost always he was referring to mankind or the corrupt value system of mankind. No matter how many bunny trails are posted as diversion, the truth stands.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a waste,
    1) Where does the circumcision occur? In Him, not before a person is individually placed in Him.
    2) What is this "body of the flesh?" Our sin burden, what God holds against us. "What "the body of the flesh" is we see clearly by Colossians 3:9, "having put off the old man." It is, like the "body of sin" (in Romans 6:6) and the "body of death" (in Romans 7:24)..." Another understanding of the meaning of "body" is that body refers to the "shadow" or "consequence" or burden brought about by our sins.

Thus the "circumcision of Christ" occurs after an individual is placed "in Him" and results in justification. The false doctrine that somehow sin was removed from foreseen individuals when Christ died 2000 years ago has no support in scripture.

7. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stop wasting it then? All are in Christ is scriptural unless you waste it.

It all happened on the cross. For each person in Christ the body of flesh no longer exists, for in death, it returns to dust.

Yes the circumcision is spiritual. The Holy Spirit seals every human at conception. They are sealed until the day of redemption.

Free will does exist. One can remain in sin until they die, in sin. They can choose to exercise the power of spiritual circumcision at any point in their life. The sooner the better. Actually the longer the better. Now explain how one dies in Christ. Paul says we are to die every day to the flesh. Is Paul wrong?

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note the endless regurgitation of obviously false assertions. All are not "in Christ" because the unsaved are "in Adam."
    Christ's substitutionary sacrifice on the cross provides the means of salvation for all mankind. But only those God chooses to place "in Christ" receive the benefit of His death.
    No one is sealed at conception. No verse suggests that falsehood. After God places an individual in Christ, the person is then sealed in Christ with the Holy Spirit, Ephesians 1:13.

9. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    3Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenlies in Christ,
    4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before Him in love,
    5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will,
    6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He bestowed favor upon us in the Beloved.
    7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace
    8 which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and insight,
    9 having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself,
    10 for an administration of the fullness of the times, [He might ]bring together all things in Christ, those in heaven and those on the earth-in Him.
    11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will,
    12 so that we should be to the praise of His glory, we who first trusted in Christ;
    13 in whom also you, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,
    14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the possession, to the praise of His glory.

Where in this passage does it say we are in Adam? It does say that all were in Christ before the foundation of the world, before Adam was even created. Paul was writing to those who figured out they were sealed. Paul stated it was because of hearing the gospel, they realized they were sealed.

Are you saying that the Holy Spirit does not even go near some folks, just because? It makes no sense, that the Holy Spirit is not working in very single person, from conception turning their thoughts and hearts to God. You are willing to send 90% of humanity to hell, because they have to wait for a Holy Spirit encounter? Did God also disclose to you the finite exact number of those to whom the Holy Spirit came to? Your assertion states that Adam himself went to hell. He never had a Holy Spirit encounter. How did any one make it in the OT, or are just those named in Hebrews 11, the only OT saints?

10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fact that 'non-Jews also' was also a shocker to the council at Jerusalem reflects on the common usage of the word 'kosmos':

3 saying, Thou wentest in to men uncircumcised, and didst eat with them.
    18 And when they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then to the Gentiles also hath God granted repentance unto life. Acts 11

The fact is the joining of the two folds did not begin (Acts 10) until it was God's good pleasure to do so:

16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice: and they shall become one flock, one shepherd. Jn 10

#50 kyredneck, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    20 ...the world...synagogues...the temple...the Jews... Jn 18

Here's a 'kosmos passage' that's a sacred cow to flaming free-willers like yourself:

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth: It is expedient for you that I go away; for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I go, I will send him unto you.
    8 And he, when he is come, will convict the world in respect of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Jn 16

A close examination of the context of this Farewell Address shows the 'Jewishness' of the word 'kosmos':

2 They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the hour cometh, that whosoever killeth you shall think that he offereth service unto God.
    3 And these things will they do, because they have not known the Father, nor me.
    4 But these things have I spoken unto you, that when their hour is come, ye may remember them, how that I told you. And these things I said not unto you from the beginning, because I was with you.
    5 But now I go unto him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou?
    6 But because I have spoken these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart.
    7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth: It is expedient for you that I go away; for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I go, I will send him unto you.
    8 And he, when he is come, will convict the world in respect of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
    9 of sin, because they believe not on me;
    10 of righteousness, because I go to the Father, and ye behold me no more;
    11 of judgment, because the prince of this world hath been judged. Jn 16

To paraphrase the 8th verse:
    When the Spirit comes, He will convict the Jews of the judicial murder of Christ, and will declare Christ to be righteous in that God has raised Him from the dead, and will pass judgment upon this generation.

#51 kyredneck, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On and on the false doctrines are regurgitated without any support from scripture.

Does scripture say people are "in Adam?" Yes. Did this post acknowledge that truth? Nope.
    Does the cited passage say anyone was "in Christ" before the foundation of the world? Nope
    It does say were were chosen in Him, but that means when Christ was chosen to be God's Redeemer, everyone to be redeemed was chosen corporately in Him. The choice of the Redeemer also chooses corporately those redeemed.
    "All are in Christ" is false doctrine.
    Yet another "are you saying" misrepresentation. Total waste.
    Does any human send another to "hell?" Of course not, so another deflection with absurd nonsense.
    Did I say Adam went to "Hell?" Nope so yet another misrepresentation. See a pattern of deflection?
    Then yet another change the subject question, how did the OT saints obtain approval? Scripture tell us!!

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word translated "world" in John's writings almost always refers to mankind or the corrupt value system of mankind.
    Note the effort to claim otherwise rests on the non-germane observation that the Jews did not at first know the New Covenant included the Gentiles. Absurd argument, to say the least.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When John uses the word translated "world" he refers to mankind, both Jews and Gentiles.
    The inspired NT convicts all who read of sin, hence the "world."
    Kyredneck refers to me as one of the "flaming free-wilers." No quote was provided. Labeling and name calling are the stock and trade of false teachers. They turn the subject from the topic (the meaning John intended with "world) to their opponents character and qualifications.

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. The 'kosmos' Christ is referring to here CANNOT receive the spirit:

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may be with you for ever,
    17 even the Spirit of truth: whom the world cannot receive; for it beholdeth him not, neither knoweth him: ye know him; for he abideth with you, and shall be in you. Jn 14

Christ is NOT talking about 'every man, woman, child, that is, has, or will be'. This 'kosmos' is an 'arrangement', not a pool of flesh and blood.

And now the free willer made up narrative begins. The text of this discourse no where mentions the scripture.

16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note the shallowness and hastiness of the free willer approach to this context. A deeper, methodical examination will show that Christ was NOT referring to non-Jews in His use of 'kosmos' in this context.

To 'deepen' the examination first begin by comparing scripture with scripture. When something is repeated three times in scripture it should definitely get our attention:

When Christ commissioned the twelve apostles He foretold them:
    But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to councils, and in their synagogues they will scourge you; yea and before governors and kings shall ye be brought for my sake, for a testimony to them and to the Gentiles. But when they deliver you up, be not anxious how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that hour what ye shall speak. For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father that speaketh in you. Mt 10:17-20

In the Olivet Discourse He foretold them:
    But before all these things, they shall lay their hands on you, and shall persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons, bringing you before kings and governors for my name`s sake. It shall turn out unto you for a testimony. Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate beforehand how to answer: for I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to withstand or to gainsay. Lk 21:12-15

In the Farewell Discourse He foretold them:
    They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the hour cometh, that whosoever killeth you shall think that he offereth service unto God.....And he, when he [the Comforter] is come, will convict the world in respect of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: of sin, because they believe not on me; of righteousness, because I go to the Father, and ye behold me no more; of judgment, because the prince of this world hath been judged. Jn 16:2, 8-11

The 'Comforter' made His appearance at Pentecost. Observe how the Spirit convicts the apostate ecclesiastical system (the arrangement) of the Jews, through the testimony of His witnesses, of the murder of the Righteous One, and declare Him indeed to be righteous. Take note, in all these examples given, of the redundancy of the message from the Comforter to the Jews; YOU KILLED HIM, BUT GOD RAISED HIM FROM THE DEAD.

Acts 2:
    4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance
    14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and spake forth unto them, saying, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and give ear unto my words.
    22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God unto you by mighty works and wonders and signs which God did by him in the midst of you, even as ye yourselves know;
    23 him, being delivered up by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye by the hand of lawless men did crucify and slay:
    24 whom God raised up, having loosed the pangs of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
    36 Let all the house of Israel therefore know assuredly, that God hath made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom ye crucified.40 And with many other words he testified, and exhorted them, saying, Save yourselves from this crooked generation.

17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Comforter convicts 'the world' through the mouths of His witnesses: YOU KILLED HIM, BUT GOD RAISED HIM FROM THE DEAD.

Acts 3:
    12 And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this man? or why fasten ye your eyes on us, as though by our own power or godliness we had made him to walk?
    13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Servant Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied before the face of Pilate, when he had determined to release him.14 But ye denied the Holy and Righteous One, and asked for a murderer to be granted unto you,
    15 and killed the Prince of life; whom God raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
    23 And it shall be, that every soul that shall not hearken to that prophet, shall be utterly destroyed from among the people.

18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Comforter convicts 'the world' through the mouths of His witnesses: YOU KILLED HIM, BUT GOD RAISED HIM FROM THE DEAD.

Acts 4:
    8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders,
    9 if we this day are examined concerning a good deed done to an impotent man, by what means this man is made whole;
    10 be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even in him doth this man stand here before you whole.

19. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Acts 5:
    27 And when they had brought them, they set them before the council. And the high priest asked them,
    28 saying, We strictly charged you not to teach in this name: and behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your teaching, and intend to bring this man`s blood upon us.
    29 But Peter and the apostles answered and said, We must obey God rather than men.
    30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew, hanging him on a tree.
    31 Him did God exalt with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, to give repentance to Israel, and remission of sins.
    32 And we are witnesses of these things; and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

20. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Acts 6:
    8 And Stephen, full of grace and power, wrought great wonders and signs among the people.
    9 But there arose certain of them that were of the synagogue called the synagogue of the Libertines, and of the Cyrenians, and of the Alexandrians, and of them of Cilicia and Asia, disputing with Stephen.
    10 And they were not able to withstand the wisdom and the Spirit by which he spake.
    15 And all that sat in the council, fastening their eyes on him, saw his face as it had been the face of an angel.
    Acts 7:
    51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Spirit: as your fathers did, so do ye.
    52 Which of the prophets did not your fathers persecute? and they killed them that showed before of the coming of the Righteous One; of whom ye have now become betrayers and murderers;
    53 ye who received the law as it was ordained by angels, and kept it not.
    55 But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,
    56 and said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing on the right hand of God. Acts