1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Wrath of God Poured Out

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Martin Marprelate, Dec 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are arguing nonsense.

Do I believe the God literally rests His feet on the Earth? No. Do I believe Jesus is literally bread and wine? No. Do I believe Jesus is literally water (H2O)?

Your accusation that the interpretation "made sin" refers to God offering Christas a "sin offering", Christ bearing our sins, becoming flesh and dying on a cross is a denial of the passage rather than an 8nterpretation if it is dishonest to those who deny the passage means that God literally was made onto an immoral act.

You are not dealing honestly with my words. You are better than that.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Martin Marprelate ,

Maybe this will help you understand the concept of interpretation:

Matthew 26:27-28
    27 And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you;
    28 for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins.

Do you believe that the disciples literally drank human blood? Or do you deny the passage?

I hope this exercise helps you understand a bit more (I'm crossing my fingers you don't walk away thinking the disciples drank human blood).

3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not doing so with mine. You have accused me of misrepresenting you when all I have done is put your words back to you. You have agreed me when I wrote:
    And yet now you say Christ was not made sin.....or do you? I don't know and I wonder if you do yourself.

But if you believe that He was made a 'sin offering' you are quite wrong as I shall show you in a new thread in due course. The text says that He was made 'sin.' You have to deal with that and handle the text honestly.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason I am stating that you misrepresented my view is that I affirmed that I agreed with the passage and that Christ "was made sin" as related in the verse. I denied, however, that this means He was literally made "an immoral act" (i.e., sin). The reason is "made sin" does not take on the "literal" definition of "made an immoral act" or "made evil".

It is referring to the Atonement. I know you hypothesis of the Greek word that you argued before and it is wrong. That defense (granted, you may have abandoned it for another) was based on the Greek word dictating the meaning of the verse rather than the context of the passage. (This is one reason I do not recommend word studies for Christians who are less than adequate in handling the scriptures).

The problem is that you were falsely accusing me of not believing the passage because I took a more orthodox view of God than a "literal interpretation" would allow. That is how I can affirm that "Christ was made sin" while still denying that "Christ was made an immoral act".

You have to let Scripture interpret Scripture and when you do I think that you will find that "made sin" refers to the Cross and our redemption.

The reason you are dishonest is apparent in your refusal to answer my simple question - do you believe that the disciples drank human blood? Of course you don't. But if you answer "no" then you prove your claims a lie. If you answer "yes" then you are a heretic. That is simply the game you play.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thread will close soon due to length.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status: