1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Theological Differences in the Local Church

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformed, May 4, 2018.

1. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You cannot prove visible institutional church nor denominationalism from the NT. They are purely man made concoctions.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    See what happens when the "universal church" is given precedence to the local assembly? :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This assumes an artificial solidarity throughout christendom. But each gathering is fully autonomous in the NT. And linked to each other ONLY through Christ, not physical organizations.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The local would have much more credibility if the church really went deep to what the heart really hungers for.... and here is a hint, it’s not bread alone ( Matthew 4:4 )

• Like Like x 1
  5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church started when I couple of ladies in 1930 moved to San Diego and started a home bible study and invited their friends... Some refer to this as home church... They prayed that the Lord would send a pastor and in 1939 one showed up from Arkansas and with other members of like same faith and order started establishing church in California... I remember as a child of meeting in rented buildings until our church was built in 1958... I know because I helped my father lay tile on the roof at the age of twelve... At one time our denomination was 22 churches strong through out Southern and Northern California but sad to say over the years that has changed... Most of our churches were small family churches and since the children didn't follow in their parents footstep many are no longer here, mine included... But it could happen again all because two ladies decided to start a home bible study and call on the Lord... How strong is your faith?... Brother Glen:)

#45 tyndale1946, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The one I pastored for 27 years did, and still does. And the one I am now a member of also does. :)

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes that Tom is wonderful however I’m living in a Post Christian part of the country... and I can now face it as an now elderly man finally facing reality... and that is that only God can change this place & that’s only if he wants to. He may have other plans for it. All I can do is accept that there is no perfect anything so I can find peace in the world. John Gill has a point with exuberant evangelism, that for all your human efforts it is Gods decision. As Jesus put it, “God alone is good” (Mark 10:18).

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steve... Start a bible study at home and pray... It could happen again... Only God knows!... Brother Glen:)

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally my faith is strong and so therefore I put it in his hands... but personally I saw two events that gives me the confidence to continue asking people how is God working in their lives. Just yesterday I observed a aging horse racing jockey (who just won the Kentucky Derby, atop the horse he was riding, give praise to Jesus.. his lord and savior. Back story, he had been fighting a drinking problem and insecurity because of his age and found renewed hope in Christ. Then my wife Pam, never one to vocalize her beliefs is now declaring her love for Jesus, loud & proud. But for the grace of God go I.

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whenever I am tempted to be critical of other churches and other people, I remember the words of A. W. Tozer.

A Pharisee is hard on others and easy on himself, but a spiritual man is easy on others and hard on himself.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That man died on his knees in prayer:Thumbsup

12. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is giving it precedence? Dave is not appealing to the universal church, he is advocating the individual conscience-based view of the Anabaptists and Mennonites. The Reformers recognized the existence of the universal church as one people of God but understood the authority of the local church. Our friend Dave here claims affinity to our Particular Baptist brethren with his screen name but his view is more of a threat to the church you and I do agree on - the local church.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    as a sidenote, if the salvation that we see in these Sunday mornings churches were the best God could do, then we don’t much see an active god working in their lives.So many I see are bored, sad and tired— those who rush in and leave early. If those people are representing the message, I wonder if the good news is all that good?!? Somehow it should showup in their faces, in their lives ... an exuberant joy with passion. What’s missing?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can he be a threat... one cannot be a threat to any well run and local assembly that preaches and teaches Gods love to the world? Yea he is a threat to the dead ones, the ones that do not teach love and do not go out, the ones that are Pharisee run... but then, they are founded on sand and will soon topple over.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Coming home from the Gospel church this evening I was very conscious of the beauty of the countryside - the green hills above the Golden Valley. 20 minutes drive through such beauty is a good preparation for worship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aberrant teaching is always a threat to the truth because there are plenty of sheeple out there who will believe it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yes, eschatologically truth always wins. In the meantime, error can have a devastating effect on the lives of Christians and the church in general. Galatians 1:8 should serve as a warning when it comes to tolerating false teaching.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn’t it the HS that determines what we believe through grace? Yes there are wolves out there and people can be terribly foolish, but election changes everything. God is ultimately the one in control here.

20. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our sole rule for all matters of faith and practice is scripture. Yes. I know that people disagree with what scripture teaches. This board would not exist if everyone agreed. Still, there are certain doctrines that are held by all Christians. I do not believe in so-called secondary doctrines since all truth is God's truth. That is why studying God's word is so important. We need to know it and understand it. We also need to live in accordance with what it teaches. Because of disagreements on what scripture teaches, denominations came into existence. But while all truth is God's truth, not every disagreement is worth dividing over. Some things are. IMHO anything that imperils the message of the gospel is a clear reason to break fellowship. Other reasons may seem more or less compelling than others but there are plenty of things to discuss in that regard.

• Like Like x 1