1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Theology the Queen of the sciences

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Nov 4, 2017.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a day when theology was viewed as the queen of the sciences. The average laymen would read allot and read until dark. The average laymen would struggle with the doctrines of the Bible as anyone should who reads allot. Compare this to today where people do not read, do not study, and would rather be entertained. They cant handle the diligent study that comes from books, so they prefer videos.

Received my new Reformation study Bible and I am impressed with the knowledge of Sproul as he is someone that certainly has studied to show himself approved. He views theology as the queen of the sciences. So do you view theology as the queen? Or would you rather be practical and think doctrine to be stuffy?

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. ajayforchrist777

ajayforchrist777 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed Brother, the confessions and the historic church creeds prove , the importance of theology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Theology is important, no doubt. But before I get into answering the op, I need to point out that you cannot read allot.

Allot is a verb, that basically means to give a portion, or an allotment. You can, however, read a lot.

With that out of the way, the op makes some claims that I believe cannot be backed up. The claim that even laymen read all the time until dark, with the insinuation that they read only theology books. This claim simply cannot be backed up.

Also, the claim that anyone who reads a lot should struggle with doctrine actually goes contrary to scripture. Those who read and study the scripture with the help of the Holy Spirit Will have truth revealed to them. And the Bible plainly states that God is not the author of confusion.

To continue, I do believe that theology is important. I do believe it is a science, by the fact that it is a study of something. However (and this is all opinion, I will readily admit) it falls under the category of theoretical sciences, rather than observable science. Traditional science has at its core the ability to be tested and proven. Theology lacks this inherent ability.

So, I liken theology to theoretical physics, which bases new findings off of old findings, and builds theories upon theories. It does not make theology any lesser of a science, but it is in a different class than say, chemistry, mathematics, and biology.

The issue with theology is that we have any number of people claiming to be experts, and then pontificating. And then not allowing other opposing viewpoints to factor into their theories, instead clinging to them as if they have sole ability to see the truth.

When discussing theology, it is important to understand that we don't know everything. I don't know everything, and neither does whoever is reading this. Personally, I recognize that there are many people on here who know a lot more about theology than I do. John of Japan is one. TCassidy is one as well, though many of my viewpoints do not line up with his.

With that in mind, I can "sit at the feet" of others and learn, even if we may disagree. For instance, if I want to know how the Greek reads, TCassidy can answer it for me. We may still then disagree what the author was intending, but I will then have a better understanding of what was said.

So yes. Theology is important. But well read does not equal well educated, or correct. The two should never be conflated. A person could read every book on theology there is, but not have the understanding to properly digest what they've read. On the other hand, a person could have only read the Bible, but with the guiding of the Holy Spirit have the understanding of a much more "well read" person.

Edited to fix autocorrect errors.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#4 Sapper Woody, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing to see here folks... Move along...

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Theology might be the queen, but application of that knowledge is KING.
    Many are book smart, but life dumb!

How did you like the Bible?

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some can't handle God's Word so they seek it distilled in the commentary of men with whom they agree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, agreed, diluted - seems a good word in addition to - distilled - in your sentence.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay I'm guilty:eek:, but some also since they have a solid firm foundation will go on a gleaning expedition adding thoughts from other theologians to what they already know... In the words of a preacher friend of mine... "WHEN IN DOUBT!... THROW THE COMMENTARY OUT"!... Brother Glen:D

#9 tyndale1946, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm pretty much anti-study bible and pro study the bible. But I also saw Big Bad Voodoo Daddy in concert this past week so take what I say with a cow lick.

11. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The danger which exists regarding reading books about the bible rather than reading the bible is that so many people are unable to accept the parts that are true and reject the parts that are wrong, and by being incapable of such discernment, become captive to the last book they read.

I have never read a book I agreed with, 100%. The President of the Seminary I attended used to say, "If two people agree 100% only one of them is thinking for himself." How true. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you went to a concert and won a cow in a raffle!:D... Isn't gambling looked down on in your church?... No need to explain the kids needed the milk!... Brother Glen:D

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are Southern Baptists. Liberty goes a long long long way.

I did have to tell the preacher I couldn't fill in because I had tickets to Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So many today seem to lack the ability to read critically....they can't read any genre that requires skills beyond juvenile fiction. In our schools Harry Potter has replaced Conrad and O'Connor; the closest you will get to Yeats and Elliot is Seuss.

If we have failed to teach a generation to read literature of the recent past I am not sure we should be shocked they resort to commentary of their choosing rather than Scripture.

What has been lost is the ability to think critically.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Usually when a person says they are against study bibles, commentaries, and books is because they are against biblical authority and prefer to read and interpret the bible anyway they please. I was dialoguing with a person on another board who thinks women can be pastors. He thinks 1 Tim has been poorly translated from the Greek, yet his only authority is a liberal theologian. I suggested he check out John MacArthur's commentaries but he refused, as he wants to claim 1 Tim to be poorly translated, yet has no biblical authority to do do. This is the type of guy that will be against books, commentaries, and study bibles because he wants to interpret the bible any way he pleases.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You consider John Macarthur "biblical authority"?

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but rather the lighting of a fire."

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First things first, theology is not bible study. I have read lots of theology, but ultimately I would rather have a very small part of the bible instead of all my theology books. There is a high church crime against the bible of sending people to study the theologians endlessly rather than read the bible and figure it out themselves. I should know I used to be one of the high church types at heart.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Theology is, literally, the study of God. If you allow books replace rather than supplement Scripture in "doing theology" then the error is yours - not the study of God itself (it's poor theology).

19. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a good point. I hold to your view of theology currently.

However, I am extra careful to not exalt men, who are really just teachers and preachers (senior pastors). To me, all theologians are just senior pastors, and they should be taken no more seriously than our sermon on Sunday compared to our own time with the bible.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem I have seen is people choosing a theology or doctrine to follow. The criteria ceases to be Scripture and becomes the person instead - like picking a sports team..

@evangelist6589 is notorious for picking and choosing from books doctrines that suit his desires or situation. This is personal anthropology - not theology. Scripture has to drive theology because Scripture is God's revelation of Himself to man.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1